Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Possibly because not all seats have cooling or because they haven't found a good solution? I'm so nervous about this :D getting my car in 3-4 weeks (built early August) and it will be cold for the next 9 months so I guess I'll have problems noticing if I'm affected or not... :/
Sponsored

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
Possibly because not all seats have cooling or because they haven't found a good solution? I'm so nervous about this :D getting my car in 3-4 weeks (built early August) and it will be cold for the next 9 months so I guess I'll have problems noticing if I'm affected or not... :/
If your car is affected, you'll notice weak heating in the seat back when using the seat heaters. I believe they use the same thermoelectric devices to heat as to cool.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Did the tech not hook something up correctly? Both seats?
Quite possibly. I'll consult with the service rep who helped me. Maybe I'll have him contact Ford Corp and see what can be done.

Fek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fek
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium
Does anyone know if the seats come from the factory with the Intake snorkel?

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
If your car is affected, you'll notice weak heating in the seat back when using the seat heaters. I believe they use the same thermoelectric devices to heat as to cool.
Actually, they'll likely heat fine. The same TED is used in heat mode but the unit heats much better than it cools. Partially because of the process itself and also because more power is sent to the unit in heat mode.

I've got my passenger seat unit pulled out of the seat and have done some temperature tests recently. Although it's a little warm here to get a good read on the heating operation, you can still get a glimpse at it. With the inside car temp in the low 70s, the heated air was in the 140s and the cold exhaust in the mid 60s.

The #1 problem with the cooling operation is that the hot exhaust air from the unit fills up the inside of the seat and the unit can’t cool that hot air enough for the process to work. In heat mode the unit works so well that even if you fill up the back of the seat with cold exhaust air, it can still produce sufficient heat. The cold exhaust is just nowhere near as cold as the hot exhaust is hot (if that makes sense).

What might happen though is that there could be a hot spot whether heating or cooling right where the back of the fan is located on the left side of the seat. The fan gets quite hot if it can't intake enough air. This only seems to be a problem for some people though.

Sponsored

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, they'll likely heat fine. The same TED is used in heat mode but the unit heats much better than it cools. Partially because of the process itself and also because more power is sent to the unit in heat mode.
Not in my experience. One problem is that there is not independent control over the seat bottom and seat back. When using the heated seats, I find that I have to turn them off due to frying my undercarriage before I notice heat from the back.

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Not in my experience. One problem is that there is not independent control over the seat bottom and seat back. When using the heated seats, I find that I have to turn them off due to frying my undercarriage before I notice heat from the back.
Well then, I guess it's more accurate to say that if the seat back doesn't heat you definitely know there's a problem, but if it does heat don't assume it will cool.

Is your passenger seat the same way?

Along with our issues, some F150 owners also had a problem with the hose slipping off the port in the seats. I don't think anyone here has mentioned that though. That would definitely prevent the heating from working.

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well then, I guess it's more accurate to say that if the seat back doesn't heat you definitely know there's a problem, but if it does heat don't assume it will cool.

Is your passenger seat the same way?

Along with our issues, some F150 owners also had a problem with the hose slipping off the port in the seats. I don't think anyone here has mentioned that though. That would definitely prevent the heating from working.
Passenger seat is similar on cooling. Have not tried heat.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
When using the heated seats, I find that I have to turn them off due to frying my undercarriage before I notice heat from the back.
Even if they are ran on the low heat setting?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Both of my seats do cool: 95% on the bottom and 5% on the back. After about 20 minutes, my seat is just about frozen and my back is still warm. I wish that there was a seat-fan option...just ambient air blowing through the seats continuously would be more effective on comfort than cold one minute and then sweating against the leather the next.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FeedtheNeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I have data logs of the seat cooling before the fix. I'm supposed to have the TSB applied next week. I'll report back with some comparisons of before and after.

Bradrulz

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Comp Orange
Had the TSB done on my car today. I am still disappointed as the back still isn't very good. It doesn't seem to get as hot like before, but still doesn't provide much cooling at all. Wished I would have just went with Recaro's now as only reason I didn't was because I wanted the cooled seats.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
HEY FORD! A fix should be a fix not a shit!

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
Well good news and mostly bad news. My dealership claimed they ordered the parts per TSB however is has been over 2 weeks. The guys over on the F150 thread say that this ISNT a shortage of parts but a dealership issue.

See post 2434
http://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/index244/

Iv have tried to contact my Ford Service Rep that contacted me ONCE, but now every time i call back no one answers and it goes to a voice mail box where i cannot leave a message. Looks like i have to go back to writing negative reviews of Ford and my dealership to get anything done.

My advice, if you ever talk to Ford or your dealership record EVERYTHING, get it in writing and save it. Take to social media (Facebook, Cars.com Edmonds, google, yahoo) and leave your experience on there, hell even file a formal complaint to BBB and you will get a response!

Any help for the Ford Rep on here would be much appreciated.

I am getting EXACTLY the same responses.... no response from Ford CS rep... 3 voicemails left by me with no return call.... local dealer claims parts were ordered almost 3 weeks ago.

Yes, any assistance from a Ford rep on here would be greatly appreciated.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
Well..........

Now I am told my parts are due in tomorrow.... Let's see what happens.
Sponsored