Cold Weather Observations

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
I would have thought they're on on their last leg due to how most cops drive those vehicles. They do idle extended periods but are usually to the floor also and driven hard.
The hardest I've seen cops drive is to get to lunch. Not joking, just observing. Many times I've witnessed lights being flashed to run a red-light, only to pull into a spot at an eating establishment. Often next to several other squad cars. Multiple years, multiple towns, multiple states. Hopefully criminals aren't observing this collective behavior :facepalm:

Advertisement

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Am I the only one that sees tons of ex-cop cars driving around?

I remember Crown Vics everywhere, clearly being ex-cop cars.
I owned one. It wasn't a highway pursuit vehicle, it was a detectives car. It spent most of its days sitting. As soon as my 19 year old ass got a hold of it, the days were numbered.

dfanucci

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree on the difference between the 15-17 tires and those on the 18+.

It's been low 30's here, and honestly I was a little timid about having my PP1 out in the cold because of the tires. Long story short, it does just fine.

OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Driving to work, I wondered what other vehicle, if you had to DD it, would you rather drive year around?

With how good these cars are in all conditions (tires being the main variable), I can't think of another equivalent cost vehicle I'd rather own......of course, which is why I own it.

Sivi70980

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Driving to work, I wondered what other vehicle, if you had to DD it, would you rather drive year around?

With how good these cars are in all conditions (tires being the main variable), I can't think of another equivalent cost vehicle I'd rather own......of course, which is why I own it.
Agree 100%! I've never understood the "save it for a sunny day" mentality for any car. You walk into your garage and see options, I'm going to grab the keys to what I like the most every time. If its the 20 million dollar Aston Lambo Type R GT Carbon Edition, I'm gonna drive it no matter what the weather looks like as long as it's capable. Why "suffer" to commute to work in a beater when you could be dead at any moment? These cars do quite well in the snow too!

ice445

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Agree 100%! I've never understood the "save it for a sunny day" mentality for any car. You walk into your garage and see options, I'm going to grab the keys to what I like the most every time. If its the 20 million dollar Aston Lambo Type R GT Carbon Edition, I'm gonna drive it no matter what the weather looks like as long as it's capable. Why "suffer" to commute to work in a beater when you could be dead at any moment? These cars do quite well in the snow too!
The person who drives the fun car year round will have more fun, but will also have more wear and tear. Whether that matters to you comes down to your mentality. If you trade into something new every few years anyway, then you should be out there driving it every day. If you want it to last, you're making things a lot harder for yourself without substantial effort/preparation every winter. The consolation prize of the people who put it away is a fresh experience come spring time.

One of the minor mods I made was ditching the crappy OEM wipers. My passenger side was chirping and driving me nuts. I threw on a set of Rain X blades and they've worked wonders - highly recommend.
I've found the OEM blades are very sensitive to dirt accumulation on their edges. Wipe them down with some alcohol or window cleaner and a microfiber and watch as they magically stop chattering/skipping.

Sivi70980

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The person who drives the fun car year round will have more fun, but will also have more wear and tear. Whether that matters to you comes down to your mentality. If you trade into something new every few years anyway, then you should be out there driving it every day. If you want it to last, you're making things a lot harder for yourself without substantial effort/preparation every winter. The consolation prize of the people who put it away is a fresh experience come spring time.

I've found the OEM blades are very sensitive to dirt accumulation on their edges. Wipe them down with some alcohol or window cleaner and a microfiber and watch as they magically stop chattering/skipping.
I'm expecting 10 years or 100k miles out of the car baring any tragedies. I don't think 10 winters is going to bother anything when I live in a mostly temperate WA state. Now they did just start using salt again so we'll see what happens. Lots of plastic on our cars too. I remain unworried by it. My current job has me traveling a lot too so mileage is pretty low for a DD. I get the fresh experience every spring thing but I'm just not that guy.

My wipers have been trash since I left the lot. I usually do the rain x thing as much as possible anyway. Someday soon I'll get some new ones.

Onlyone

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Montana from Colorado. Nokian Hakkpeliitta studded snows. Never have I been more comfortable in a car.

Yes the PP1 rides stiffer but even with back issues and being 6’4” I was amazingly comfortable. I had my wife and my 90lb German Shepherd in the back. I removed the rear seats.

I drove in blizzard conditions and snow and ice packed highways. Bitter cold, salt and just downright nasty weather. Mind you, I have a Jeep JL rubicon on 37s but still opted to drive the Mustang. I averaged 26 mpg for the trip running 60-90 the entire way.

I let it completely warm up before leaving. I couldn’t care less what anyone says about letting it warm up. I run Amsoil in it and beat the hell out of it. There is no starting and driving away when the wipers are frozen to the windshield. I’m so impressed with this car in cold weather.

Crazy stable and I ran 65-70 in ice pack roads across miles of Montana highway. I never slipped a studded tire the entire way. Rain/snow mode is helpful. I prefer comfort mode in the steering. The heated elements I installed along with the leather seats were awesome.

C8ECAFE3-4E73-4667-837A-DC987F9C1BD2.jpeg

DB256655-6E05-4DF9-A47B-3CDF974ACC39.jpeg

E5ED9B8C-2CCA-4A86-B34B-591FD968D2D9.jpeg

90B2D3DA-5147-462B-A853-DE0295CBC52B.jpeg

Last edited:

ice445

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Montana from Colorado. Nokian Hakkpeliitta studded snows. Never have I been more comfortable in a car.

Yes the PP1 rides stiffer but even with back issues and being 6’4” I was amazingly comfortable. I had my wife and my 90lb German Shepherd in the back. I removed the rear seats.

I drove in blizzard conditions and snow and ice packed highways. Bitter cold, salt and just downright nasty weather. Mind you, I have a Jeep JL rubicon on 37s but still opted to drive the Mustang. I averaged 26 mpg for the trip running 60-90 the entire way.

I let it completely warm up before leaving. I couldn’t care less what anyone says about letting it warm up. I run Amsoil in it and beat the hell out of it. There is no starting and driving away when the wipers are frozen to the windshield. I’m so impressed with this car in cold weather.

Crazy stable and I ran 65-70 in ice pack roads across miles of Montana highway. I never slipped a studded tire the entire way. Rain/snow mode is helpful. I prefer comfort mode in the steering. The heated elements I installed along with the leather seats were awesome.

C8ECAFE3-4E73-4667-837A-DC987F9C1BD2.jpeg

DB256655-6E05-4DF9-A47B-3CDF974ACC39.jpeg

E5ED9B8C-2CCA-4A86-B34B-591FD968D2D9.jpeg

90B2D3DA-5147-462B-A853-DE0295CBC52B.jpeg
It's a really good road trip car for sure, I did a 1000 mile road trip in October. Glad to see the Dearborn, Michigan engineering team knows how to make them winter ready ;)

accel

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
1. The new Michelin PP1 tires work waaaay better than the previous (2015-2017) Pirelli PP1 tires. No popping during the first turns/rotations, which used to scare the crap out of me.
Pirellis are pretty decent for the Summer, but just horrible for cold weather.

I'm still on them, but will not buy them again.

OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Pirellis are pretty decent for the Summer, but just horrible for cold weather.

I'm still on them, but will not buy them again.
They're really shit all around. I used to think they were good in the summer too, then I got my 2019 with the Michelins. No comparison, the Michelins are way, waaaaaaaay better.

Better ride, better sticksion, better everything. And the Michelins last 2X+ as long. I've got 14K miles, and they don't need replacing yet. I was replacing the Pirelli tires on my 2016 PP1 and 2012 TP cars every 6K-8K miles.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
They're really shit all around. I used to think they were good in the summer too, then I got my 2019 with the Michelins. No comparison, the Michelins are way, waaaaaaaay better.

Better ride, better sticksion, better everything. And the Michelins last 2X+ as long. I've got 14K miles, and they don't need replacing yet. I was replacing the Pirelli tires on my 2016 PP1 and 2012 TP cars every 6K-8K miles.
Sticksion? Is that a technical term? :cwl:

OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sticksion? Is that a technical term? :cwl:
It used to be. In car magazines, and with the old timer racers like Carol Shelby and Smokey Yunick.

They also said things like "That thang's jus' all ate up with motor!!"

Advertisement

94 - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake - 1

Advertisement