Sponsored

Cold Weather Observations

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Montana from Colorado. Nokian Hakkpeliitta studded snows. Never have I been more comfortable in a car.

Yes the PP1 rides stiffer but even with back issues and being 6’4” I was amazingly comfortable. I had my wife and my 90lb German Shepherd in the back. I removed the rear seats.

I drove in blizzard conditions and snow and ice packed highways. Bitter cold, salt and just downright nasty weather. Mind you, I have a Jeep JL rubicon on 37s but still opted to drive the Mustang. I averaged 26 mpg for the trip running 60-90 the entire way.

I let it completely warm up before leaving. I couldn’t care less what anyone says about letting it warm up. I run Amsoil in it and beat the hell out of it. There is no starting and driving away when the wipers are frozen to the windshield. I’m so impressed with this car in cold weather.

Crazy stable and I ran 65-70 in ice pack roads across miles of Montana highway. I never slipped a studded tire the entire way. Rain/snow mode is helpful. I prefer comfort mode in the steering. The heated elements I installed along with the leather seats were awesome.

C8ECAFE3-4E73-4667-837A-DC987F9C1BD2.jpeg

DB256655-6E05-4DF9-A47B-3CDF974ACC39.jpeg

E5ED9B8C-2CCA-4A86-B34B-591FD968D2D9.jpeg

90B2D3DA-5147-462B-A853-DE0295CBC52B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Montana from Colorado. Nokian Hakkpeliitta studded snows. Never have I been more comfortable in a car.

Yes the PP1 rides stiffer but even with back issues and being 6’4” I was amazingly comfortable. I had my wife and my 90lb German Shepherd in the back. I removed the rear seats.

I drove in blizzard conditions and snow and ice packed highways. Bitter cold, salt and just downright nasty weather. Mind you, I have a Jeep JL rubicon on 37s but still opted to drive the Mustang. I averaged 26 mpg for the trip running 60-90 the entire way.

I let it completely warm up before leaving. I couldn’t care less what anyone says about letting it warm up. I run Amsoil in it and beat the hell out of it. There is no starting and driving away when the wipers are frozen to the windshield. I’m so impressed with this car in cold weather.

Crazy stable and I ran 65-70 in ice pack roads across miles of Montana highway. I never slipped a studded tire the entire way. Rain/snow mode is helpful. I prefer comfort mode in the steering. The heated elements I installed along with the leather seats were awesome.

C8ECAFE3-4E73-4667-837A-DC987F9C1BD2.jpeg

DB256655-6E05-4DF9-A47B-3CDF974ACC39.jpeg

E5ED9B8C-2CCA-4A86-B34B-591FD968D2D9.jpeg

90B2D3DA-5147-462B-A853-DE0295CBC52B.jpeg
It's a really good road trip car for sure, I did a 1000 mile road trip in October. Glad to see the Dearborn, Michigan engineering team knows how to make them winter ready ;)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
1. The new Michelin PP1 tires work waaaay better than the previous (2015-2017) Pirelli PP1 tires. No popping during the first turns/rotations, which used to scare the crap out of me.
Pirellis are pretty decent for the Summer, but just horrible for cold weather.

I'm still on them, but will not buy them again.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Pirellis are pretty decent for the Summer, but just horrible for cold weather.

I'm still on them, but will not buy them again.
They're really shit all around. I used to think they were good in the summer too, then I got my 2019 with the Michelins. No comparison, the Michelins are way, waaaaaaaay better.

Better ride, better sticksion, better everything. And the Michelins last 2X+ as long. I've got 14K miles, and they don't need replacing yet. I was replacing the Pirelli tires on my 2016 PP1 and 2012 TP cars every 6K-8K miles.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sticksion? Is that a technical term? :cwl:
It used to be. In car magazines, and with the old timer racers like Carol Shelby and Smokey Yunick.

They also said things like "That thang's jus' all ate up with motor!!"

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
They're really shit all around. I used to think they were good in the summer too, then I got my 2019 with the Michelins. No comparison, the Michelins are way, waaaaaaaay better.

Better ride, better sticksion, better everything. And the Michelins last 2X+ as long. I've got 14K miles, and they don't need replacing yet. I was replacing the Pirelli tires on my 2016 PP1 and 2012 TP cars every 6K-8K miles.
Prellis: i got ~12k from rears while fronts were still in a very good shape.

So I decided to replace just rears to minimize the cost.

Moving forward I'd like to get squared with lightweight aftermarket wheels.

With Pirellis it was very easy to feel a dis balance when fronts and rears have different degree of wear and you can't rotate them.

Staggered is for those who replace tires proactively once first signs of disbalance are there.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I've been reluctant to drive on the Michelin PS4's in the cool/cold weather.
As you should be - they're summer tires and shouldn't be driven in temps less than 50*F.

I bought some Wintrac Pro winter tires and having been bopping about on those for the past almost month. It snowed Christmas Eve and I ha don problems getting anywhere.

5.0 Billy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Osman
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
As you should be - they're summer tires and shouldn't be driven in temps less than 50*F.

I bought some Wintrac Pro winter tires and having been bopping about on those for the past almost month. It snowed Christmas Eve and I ha don problems getting anywhere.
Have you seen any more snow? I bought mine pre-owned. 17 Performance Package absolutely mint, a Unicorn. Previous owner put on ContiProContacts (All-Seasons). We had snow but I was off that day and the roads were completely cleared by the following morning. I've been debating between the Wintrac Pros or Hakkapeliittas... You're the first person I see running either one of those... curious about your feedback since you've had them on a few weeks now...

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Have you seen any more snow? I bought mine pre-owned. 17 Performance Package absolutely mint, a Unicorn. Previous owner put on ContiProContacts (All-Seasons). We had snow but I was off that day and the roads were completely cleared by the following morning. I've been debating between the Wintrac Pros or Hakkapeliittas... You're the first person I see running either one of those... curious about your feedback since you've had them on a few weeks now...
They've been great. I think they're mainly dry weather winter tires, if my understanding of them was correct. Not made for heavy snow climates like a Nokian. I don't really anticipate any more snow this year - I was honestly surprised we got any in the first place.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
2. The engine cycling between PFI and DI doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. A few mornings ago I started it at around 30 degrees, and it was clearly running on PFI, no clacking from the DI. The last 2 or 3 mornings it's been starting/warming up on DI, merrily clacking away. Then, coming home and circling the parking lot looking for a space a few evenings ago, the engine was dead silent, clearly running on PFI, while being fully warmed up. Silky smooth and silent.

I'm starting to think that ambient air humidity/temp has something to do with whether it's in PFI or DI mode
Looks like CSER (aka “cat light-off”) mode, it’s always using 40-80% GDI. Based on my logging, that usually only lasts 30 seconds - 2 minutes after cold start. You can tell because spark timing is negative. Once it transitions to the cold GDI blend, it uses 25-50% GDI blend up to 38 deg coolant temp. Once it hits 39 deg, GDI blend goes to basically 0 until load reaches 50%.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Looks like CSER (aka “cat light-off”) mode, it’s always using 40-80% GDI. Based on my logging, that usually only lasts 30 seconds - 2 minutes after cold start. You can tell because spark timing is negative. Once it transitions to the cold GDI blend, it uses 25-50% GDI blend up to 38 deg coolant temp. Once it hits 39 deg, GDI blend goes to basically 0 until load reaches 50%.
You're either in LA or Louisiana. I'm not understanding where you have any experience with cold starts, or cold weather driving.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You're either in LA or Louisiana. I'm not understanding where you have any experience with cold starts, or cold weather driving.
Haha, I don’t. I’m just looking at the calibration. CSER happens regardless of temp. The only thing I can’t tell you is how long it stays in CSER.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Standing outside the car yesterday, letting it warm up.

Clatter-clatter-clatter-clatter-clatter-clatter.........then quiet. Smooth and quiet.

Got damn bipolar car!!!!