Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
It's been in the 20s and 30s here, and a few observations DDing the car in the cold weather.

1. The new Michelin PP1 tires work waaaay better than the previous (2015-2017) Pirelli PP1 tires. No popping during the first turns/rotations, which used to scare the crap out of me.

2. The engine cycling between PFI and DI doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. A few mornings ago I started it at around 30 degrees, and it was clearly running on PFI, no clacking from the DI. The last 2 or 3 mornings it's been starting/warming up on DI, merrily clacking away. Then, coming home and circling the parking lot looking for a space a few evenings ago, the engine was dead silent, clearly running on PFI, while being fully warmed up. Silky smooth and silent.

I'm starting to think that ambient air humidity/temp has something to do with whether it's in PFI or DI mode.

3. The transmission, which sometimes nibbled going into 2nd when cold (during warm outside temps), has completely stopped doing it now that it's really cold outside. Weird.

4. The friggin OEM wiper blades, which I replaced with new OEM blades a few months ago, are a 50/50 affair. The Captain's side blade glides smooth and easy, while the drinker's side blade chops and stutters across the windshield.

5. She does like the cold air. VROOOOOOM!!!

6. The rear window heating/de-icing elements need a power mod. Takes forever to clear the rear window.

7. Heated side-view mirrors and wiper blades should be standard on every vehicle. When they're iced-up, it's a PITA.

Other than that, typical DD perfection. Space, pace & grace. Comfortable, quiet, completely planted to the road, an extremely pleasurable driving experience. I've even figured out the stupid HVAC/auto system. But it does suck that you have to go to a sub-menu in SYNC to have full HVAC controls. That's just stupid.

ETA; IM not so HO, these are the best (for the money) year 'round DD vehicles for those that want a great driving experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PHX ATC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT & 2020 Explorer ST & 2022 Porsche 911
Did you drive it in the snow earlier this week? I saw (and heard) a bunch of Mustangs going by when it was snowing and the day after.

Not that I would ever drive mine in the snow (princess car problems) but I was curious how it handled? Probably like any other car if you drove it smartly, but wondering if there are any nuances.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Rear window defrost does suck, but I like my heated seats.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Did you drive it in the snow earlier this week? I saw (and heard) a bunch of Mustangs going by when it was snowing and the day after.

Not that I would ever drive mine in the snow (princess car problems) but I was curious how it handled? Probably like any other car if you drove it smartly, but wondering if there are any nuances.
I made Wednesday my day off, to miss the snow. On Thursday morning the car was coated with ice in the morning, as the snow had turned to rain, and then frozen....which you're well aware of.

I do love me some driving in the snow, but I was trying to avoid the salt/brine on the road. It was a useless attempt.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
I've been reluctant to drive on the Michelin PS4's in the cool/cold weather. I'd probably take it out more if I didn't worry about damaging them. They stay warm in the garage so no issue there.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Rear window defrost does suck, but I like my heated seats.
Really? My seats are terribly slow. I'm 10 miles from my house before they start to get nice.

And the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 performance winter tires continue to impress. I got caught out in an unexpected stretch of freezing rain (icy highway with 6 accidents in 4 miles), and I was nicely surefooted. The people around me, however, .......

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I've been reluctant to drive on the Michelin PS4's in the cool/cold weather. I'd probably take it out more if I didn't worry about damaging them. They stay warm in the garage so no issue there.
I've drove on them all last winter. Driving on them now. Doesn't hurt anything.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Really? My seats are terribly slow. I'm 10 miles from my house before they start to get nice.

And the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 performance winter tires continue to impress. I got caught out in an unexpected stretch of freezing rain (icy highway with 6 accidents in 4 miles), and I was nicely surefooted. The people around me, however, ,,,,,,,,
Yeah, my drive to work is 15 mins. Recently is has been 35-40 degrees, I start mine on the middle setting, and after about 5 mins I drop it to low. It gets hot quick on high.

Sponsored

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Definitely 5
I have mine temporarily in south Texas while I’m here for my job. In summer high 90-100+ temperatures and I saw intake temperatures above 150. She ran good, but now it’s in the 70’s and there’s a noticeable jump in horsepower.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
My cold weather observations : winter sux!!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Recently is has been 35-40 degrees, I start mine on the middle setting, and after about 5 mins I drop it to low. It gets hot quick on high.
Ah, a 40 degree day would be nice. It was 11 degrees when I got up this morning.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If I get 11, hell has frozen over.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
In cold temps,

I'm just curious about how long I should warm up the car in cold before I drive off? Some stuff on the internet is saying it's bad to let it idle, driving it warms it up faster?

7ED112AD-88BE-485B-8580-EB4340E8E3A4.jpeg
Sponsored