Sponsored

Cobrajet intake manifold dyno

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No clue what they were trying to do. Before it came out, the gen 1 was very expensive since it had been discontinued so the gen 2 was significantly cheaper when it came out. I wanted to do a cobra jet n/a build before boosting it and was not gonna pay 4K for the gen 1 cj so when the gen 2 was nice since its was cheaper. Worked for changing up my car since all the 350ā€™s in my area are stock and the same so I wanted to change things up and piss off the purists
I don't ever remember the CJ being that pricey, maybe after stock dried up and no one could get their hands on one. What I remember is that the "new" and improved CJ is pretty much the same as the gen1, priced right around the same area (setting any supply issues aside) and still doesn't solve the issue of clearance.

To say it's a big fail would be an understatement. They could have refined it to make it more affordable, they could have resolved the clearancing, or they could have made it markedly "better" in terms of performance. Seems to me they did NONE of those things. It's still stupid expensive, still performs basically the same as the previous gen and still requires some sorta gymnastics to address the clearance under a stock hood, stock mount dimensions.

Meet the gen2 CJ, same as the gen1 CJ, just with a different name.
Sponsored

Aaryn293

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaryn
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
I don't ever remember the CJ being that pricey, maybe after stock dried up and no one could get their hands on one. What I remember is that the "new" and improved CJ is pretty much the same as the gen1, priced right around the same area (setting any supply issues aside) and still doesn't solve the issue of clearance.

To say it's a big fail would be an understatement. They could have refined it to make it more affordable, they could have resolved the clearancing, or they could have made it markedly "better" in terms of performance. Seems to me they did NONE of those things. It's still stupid expensive, still performs basically the same as the previous gen and still requires some sorta gymnastics to address the clearance under a stock hood, stock mount dimensions.

Meet the gen2 CJ, same as the gen1 CJ, just with a different name.
Ya like u said this was right before the new one came out. When the gen 1 wasnā€™t available so the ones you could get were white pricey. But yes I agree, itā€™s pretty much the same thing. I think the problem lies with us. It clears under stock gt hoods. Just not gt350 hoods since ours have a low spot from the vent. And I think they just pretty much re released it since there was a big market of people who wanted cj/boss 302 style manifolds. They definitely could have made it better and more worth the money but then again, there are better ones on the market anyways.

Aaryn293

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaryn
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
sorry. Like meant like I said. But here are two prices from 2022 right before the gen 2 came out. 2k for a standard port and 4600 for race port. My grn 2 race ported was 1400. So for me it was a win for them to come back out and not have to pay for a gen 1
IMG_9192.png
IMG_9191.png

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
yes I think itā€™s worth it but show me a run that made 530whp SAE on stock manifold. Iā€™ve seen plenty of high STD numbers. My car made 557whp STD but I donā€™t use those numbers.

Fat fab made 529whp STD with intake, headers and e85 and I made 557 STD. So if you want to compare STD numbers I put down 28whp more than them having a CJ with big Monoblade TB and PMAS intake.
Still would be interesting to know just what the (not made for the car) CJ manifold actually added over OEM manifold everything else the same or equivalentā€¦across the rpm range to account for drivability and power gains off idle all the way through redlineā€¦Iā€™m guessing the juice ainā€™t worth the squeeze. That being said, itā€™s cool all the different ways folks choose to modify their rides.

Aaryn293

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaryn
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
Still would be interesting to know just what the (not made for the car) CJ manifold actually added over OEM manifold everything else the same or equivalentā€¦across the rpm range to account for drivability and power gains off idle all the way through redlineā€¦Iā€™m guessing the juice ainā€™t worth the squeeze. That being said, itā€™s cool all the different ways folks choose to modify their rides.
Exactly. We didnā€™t build this for high horsepower, if we wanted high horsepower then boated woulda been chosen. It was a chance to do something different, not add all the weight of force induction/cooling, and to change the feel of the car and with this set up, is is definitely a lot more fun than stock and noticeably different in power. So for doing an n/a setup for a few years, itā€™s great and does great on the track so weā€™re happy with it.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
stay tuned to this threadā€¦I have some time, idle hands and a dyno in my backyard to start tweaking after we do some stock runs 24March šŸ˜‰

Aaryn293

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaryn
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
stay tuned to this threadā€¦I have some time, idle hands and a dyno in my backyard to start tweaking after we do some stock runs 24March šŸ˜‰
What all do you have done? I would have it dynod already but my tuner is a friend now and is gonna do it for free cuz he has a dyno at home as well but recently started having an issue with a neigherbor so weā€™re saving it for a special timešŸ˜œ

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I guess my understanding was flawed. I thought the old gen1 were about 2k and I thought that's what the new gen2 are priced.

Again, if Ford was going to do anything it would have been, make it fit under the hood (the first threat to a lot of guys going CJ), to make it more affordable (the second headwind to people buying it) and 3rd to make it appreciably "better" performing. To that end, seems like they fell kinda flat on all 3.

I never compared "ported" versions. Jut the raw, buy it and run it off shelf versions.

Before I decided to go PD blower, I looked at doing a CJ and honestly what disuaded me was A) the high cost with everything required, which involved an aftermarket hood and B) the incremental benefits. Ford could have eliminated a big obstacle by LOWERING the price significantly and making it fit underneath the stock hood.

I haven't priced them, but it seems like some of the high end aftermarket metal intakes are in the same price range.

Aaryn293

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaryn
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
I guess my understanding was flawed. I thought the old gen1 were about 2k and I thought that's what the new gen2 are priced.

Again, if Ford was going to do anything it would have been, make it fit under the hood (the first threat to a lot of guys going CJ), to make it more affordable (the second headwind to people buying it) and 3rd to make it appreciably "better" performing. To that end, seems like they fell kinda flat on all 3.

I never compared "ported" versions. Jut the raw, buy it and run it off shelf versions.

Before I decided to go PD blower, I looked at doing a CJ and honestly what disuaded me was A) the high cost with everything required, which involved an aftermarket hood and B) the incremental benefits. Ford could have eliminated a big obstacle by LOWERING the price significantly and making it fit underneath the stock hood.

I haven't priced them, but it seems like some of the high end aftermarket metal intakes are in the same price range.
Ya I agree with ya, but we all know the Shelby market is limited as it is so getting them to tailor a ā€œgtā€ manifold for us Shelby folks is a long shot. And ya idk the non ported stuff cuz if Iā€™m gonna buy something like that, Iā€™m gonna get it done up as much as possible since ford didnā€™t. There are some amazing metal ones like plasmaman and holly and a carbon one but the plasmaman one is like 5k so Iā€™ll wait till I go boosted to get that. But maybe one day theyā€™ll make something more affordable that doesnā€™t require much. But hope this thread helps with people that do want to do it with a stock hood since all I had to do was put a k memeber in which was on the list for road racing anyways and lowering mounts which help with transmission shifting. All in all I agree with ya man, itā€™s a lot for most people, ford coulda done better. But everything now days is like that, companies come out with new shit and itā€™s the same as the last, just like our phonesšŸ˜‚

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
No clue what they were trying to do. Before it came out, the gen 1 was very expensive since it had been discontinued so the gen 2 was significantly cheaper when it came out. I wanted to do a cobra jet n/a build before boosting it and was not gonna pay 4K for the gen 1 cj so when the gen 2 was nice since its was cheaper. Worked for changing up my car since all the 350ā€™s in my area are stock and the same so I wanted to change things up and piss off the purists
:clap:

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium 10 speed, rapid red, pp1,
Well I put the Cobrajet setup on the dyno and it did not disappoint! 540whp/460TQ SAE. Shop temp was in the upper 70ā€™s down here in southern Florida. Pull was in 5th gear 1:1.

Really great power for bolt on parts and tuning.

Mods are:

Lund E85R tune
unported Cobrajet intake manifold
VMP 137 Monoblade TB
PMAS CJ intake utilizing stock air box
Corsa Catless longtubes
Stock resonated cat back

333EEE33-B569-4452-BEA8-4A0A552D197D.jpeg

34F77FB2-6B4F-4ADA-A991-F5EB9C0C39B8.jpeg

Here is a picture of when the car was just stock tune with cat deletes and proflex commander and made 486whp on the same dyno. I had the shop overlay the runs to show the gains.
5C6E0569-E72E-4ADD-9E00-60EF88CC4B32.jpeg
How is the down low? Im building a gen 3 coyote for kind of a weekend mountain/ slight track car. Recommend a CJ for that? Or no?
Sponsored