Sponsored

Clutch Replaced? If so what mileage?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Has anyone replaced their clutch on GT350? If so what mileage? Any track days?

I think either my clutch or slave/master or bearing is gone.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Symptoms??
Is your 5 year drivetrain warranty in effect?

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Symptoms??
Is your 5 year drivetrain warranty in effect?
If it's clutch, pressure plate or throw out bearing it is my guess that they will claim this is a wear item not covered by warranty.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Symptoms?

How many miles are on your GT350 and how has it been driven? A twin disk clutch should last quite a long time if not abused (riding the clutch, holding the car steady on a slope with the clutch, etc). I replaced the clutch (for the second time) on my 1991 NSX at 230,000 miles. It still had plenty of life, but I pulled the motor for a rebuild so I replaced the clutch while it was out.

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Symptoms?

How many miles are on your GT350 and how has it been driven? A twin disk clutch should last quite a long time if not abused (riding the clutch, holding the car steady on a slope with the clutch, etc). I replaced the clutch (for the second time) on my 1991 NSX at 230,000 miles. It still had plenty of life, but I pulled the motor for a rebuild so I replaced the clutch while it was out.
TBH i've never had to replace a clutch for clutch sake it's always been throw out bearing.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Out of curiosity and hopefully not to begin any paranoia that there may be an issue, sometimes maybe once or twice a month and note I almost drive this car every day of the month that when I disengage (clutch in) and drop the gear into first from 0 mph that it will kick the gear out. Is there any good reason that it does this? Did it mean that I was lazy and didn't put it into gear all the way through?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I only had that happen once starting out and I'm sure I didn't put it all the way into first gear.

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity and hopefully not to begin any paranoia that there may be an issue, sometimes maybe once or twice a month and note I almost drive this car every day of the month that when I disengage (clutch in) and drop the gear into first from 0 mph that it will kick the gear out. Is there any good reason that it does this? Did it mean that I was lazy and didn't put it into gear all the way through?
More than likely it is a gear not fully engaged situation. Nearly all of my manual equipped vehicles, including some with *other* Tremec transmissions in them do this every now and then.
I do not, however, have any direct experience with the TR-3160 yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Symptoms?

I think the throw out bearing or slave/master is gone. Its making noise particularly on deceleration and my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor. It is not slipping as far as I can tell. I also noticed some grinding going into gear.

TBH i've never had to replace a clutch for clutch sake it's always been throw out bearing.
I suspect that is it

Didn’t ajax replace his clutch under warranty at 20xxx miles?
I think he did actually.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Since I've never experienced it before. Can you drive it with the "clutch being stuck to the floor" by pulling it back yourself to the "normal" position using the toe of your foot or is it time to call the dealership for a ride? Even if that's possible, that's a lot of effort and unsafe driving imo.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
30,000 miles, a hand full of track days. No clutch issues yet.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Since I've never experienced it before. Can you drive it with the "clutch being stuck to the floor" by pulling it back yourself to the "normal" position using the toe of your foot or is it time to call the dealership for a ride? Even if that's possible, that's a lot of effort and unsafe driving imo.
I pulled it back up it didn't happen again.

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yeah if it stays at the floor every time you press it; i wouldn't drive it because it could be a pressure plate or disk alignment issue and i don't know how that could affect the twin disk clutch

If it goes to the floor stays, and you can pull it back up and it works fine... maybe a little scratchy it could be corrosion on the input shaft or you just need to bleed the hydraulic clutch system.
In that case... i would drive it.

A *normal* throw out bearing failure is a rotational noise that happens only when you press the clutch in.
Sponsored