Sponsored

Clutch Replaced but not Slave Cylinder — Now Broken

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I need some input from someone who is much more knowledgeable than I am on this matter.

Question: Should the dealer have changed the slave cylinder when replacing the clutch under warranty or offered for me to pay for that part? If you try and order the clutch or slave cylinder the ford parts website says you should replace everything as it is economical to do so while the car is apart.

For background on the car: I bought this car brand new in December of 2017. my gen1 motor died at 5700 miles (Sept 2021). It was replaced and after 1k mi break the clutch went out shortly thereafter (say 7500 miles or so in July of 2022). Broke in the new clutch for 500 miles. Then another 500-750 miles later the dipstick kept blowing out of the motor and it had the hesitation in fifth with the tone ring TSB issue (Nov 2022) and now at now another 750 miles the slave cylinder just went out (March 2023 with about 8700) miles.

Now the repair is 10 hours of labor to change a slave cylinder that costs $176. I am trying to work with Ford, Ford ESP, and dealer but of course no one wants to work me on it.

In your opinion should I just pay and move on or is this a legitimate complaint?
Sponsored

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Changing the slave cylinder is recommended when replacing the clutch or removing the transmission.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe they didn’t change it because you had so few miles on the car/tranny. I replaced my factory one at just 6K miles when I installed a new clutch.

Are you mechanically inclined? If so, unbolt the tranny from the engine and and slide it back about a foot and you can access the slave cylinder. It’s held on by two small bolts. Bench bleed the new one, bolt it in and reinstall the tranny

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
When the clutch was replaced in my GT350 last year under warranty, they also replaced the slave.

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The dealer said “ford will only cover the failed part at the time of the repairs”

I am still seeing if ford, ford esp, or the dealer will offer any concession. This one just feels like a mistake since another guy I know had his replaced under warranty and they changed the slave. I think the tech missed it.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The dealer said “ford will only cover the failed part at the time of the repairs”

I am still seeing if ford, ford esp, or the dealer will offer any concession. This one just feels like a mistake since another guy I know had his replaced under warranty and they changed the slave. I think the tech missed it.
I agree that it sounds like the tech missed it. I just changed my clutch at 6K miles and I still replaced the slave cylinder. It’s way too much work to have to go back and do it later.

CptSumTingWong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350

Do you have Ford esp and they're refusing to cover it? Seems like this should be straight forward and you're just out your deductible?

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Do you have Ford esp and they're refusing to cover it? Seems like this should be straight forward and you're just out your deductible?
The dealer is saying that the slave cylinder is not covered under the ford esp. The dealer said when they enter the part into ford oasis that it says that part is not covered by any ford esp.

I am still waiting to hear back from basically everyone.
Sponsored