Sponsored

Clutch/Flywheel Suggestions?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am fairly certain I am experiencing a TOB/slave cyl failure.

Since everything has to come apart, might as well ditch the stock clutch as well.

Looking for everyone's feedback on a decent aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup. My car is near-stock, future plans likely full bolt-on, possibly forced induction down the road.

Exedy Mach 500 seems to be a popular choice. Does anyone run this? Lethal Performance also has a few nice options.

What about a lightened flywheel? Exedy has a chromoly one coming in at 16.1lbs - is there a noticeable difference in engine response? Ford Racing also sells a lightened steel wheel coming in about 20lbs.

TOB/slave cyl input? I've seen people suggest to use OEM only. Exedy supplies them with their clutch kits. Seems like they have positive feedback overall.

Finally - how bad is the install? I did the clutch on my 2000 on jack-stands. I would say it was a 1/10 on the fun scale. I would rent a lift in this case... but anything major to look out for? Can an SCT XCAL 4 NOT mated to the car do the crank relearn?

Input is appreciated!
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My recommendation is to stay with the stock parts, they work. If it is possible you could go with the 2018+ dual-mass flywheel / double disc clutch but I do not know if it will fit the '16 car. Aluminum and lightweight flywheels are great for a road course, not so good for the street.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Exedy 500 clutch and their lw flywheel because I was also pretty sure I had a slave cylinder that was bad. I knew I wanted a lighter flywheel, but maybe not aluminum light. We only did the clutch/flywheel and slave cylinder and it solved 98% of my issues with the pedal.

Flywheel was not a dramatic change. Its definitely lighter, but only enough to notice during the driver adjustment period. It doesn't feel all that much lighter once you're used to it. No regrest tho. It doesn't chatter like a real light flywheel might.

Just if you DO change to a lighter flywheel (for any manufacturer), you'll probably need to do the crank relearn procedure or you may get misfires. I sure did and the relearn fixed it 100%.

From what I've ready you can't mix and match that Exedy flywheel with Mcleod parts due to clearance issues, so watch out for that.

I did not do the install myself.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
"Looking for everyone's feedback on a decent aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup. My car is near-stock, future plans likely full bolt-on, possibly forced induction down the road."

Shifting_Gears,
Exedy ET05SRFD 2011-17 Mustang 5.0L Organic 23 Teeth 8 Bolt Twin Disc Clutch,
paired with MGW. Very happy no chatter, great peddle feel.
I did the clutch on jack stands and took my time. Went smoother than I thought. I would highly recommend getting a transmission jack. It definitely made the job easier.
IMG_1933.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you everyone for your input!

@NightmareMoon what symptoms were you having prior to replacing yours?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone for your input!

@NightmareMoon what symptoms were you having prior to replacing yours?
clutch pedal would sometimes stick in a low position and I’d have to lift it with my toes. Intermittent but often enough I had a pretty solid habit of testing it every time I stopped.
Sponsored