Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
what broke on the crank? have you pulled the engine apart and inspected it? depending on the break, none of the rotating assembly is worth a damn blind.

OP
OP
ReapSow

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 and 1996 Cobra
Procharger d1x, snapped at 7200 rpm in 2nd gear. I understand there will be an expense to rebuild it but that is what he is planning to do anyway, build it. It isn't a boat anchor worth nothing lol

OP
OP
ReapSow

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Crank broke right behind the timing gear. Basically snapped the snout off, there are several cases of this on the forum.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Crank broke right behind the timing gear. Basically snapped the snout off, there are several cases of this on the forum.
Granted the snout snapped off - but has the engine even been opened up - and if so what other damages are there?

Snapping a crank @ 7200 RPM isnā€™t like parking at idle and turning off the engineā€¦LOL. At 7200 RPM once that crank snout snapped, that rotating assembly was instantly out of balanceā€¦

Itā€™s a shame your buddy lost money and his engine at rip-off shop - care to post the name of the shop?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thereā€™s a good chance a bunch of the valvetrain is messed up too. When the crank snout snapped, the rotating assembly was free to continue to spin while nothing was turning the camshafts. Good chance there was piston to valve contact.

Iā€™d say a couple thousand max as he could be looking at 20k for a competent builder to rebuild and blueprint - this all assumes to the block wasnā€™t compromised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReapSow

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
The car has a motec, it shut down instantly. He wouldn't be keeping the bottom end or the factory valvetrain as he is building it. The block is not compromised. Thanks for the opinions

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
The car has a motec, it shut down instantly. He wouldn't be keeping the bottom end or the factory valvetrain as he is building it. The block is not compromised. Thanks for the opinions
As you said, the block is likely OK, pistons and valves likely shot. Depending on if a valve broke and dropped down in the cyl, there is possible the piston bores on one or more cyls are damaged, but impossible to tell.

Assuming the snout broke off as a result of the stress from the procharger? I've no interest in forced induction, but interested to learn.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It might have shut down instantly ā€˜electronicallyā€™, but mechanical momentum would have kept the rotating components moving for a little longer ā€¦ :frown:

Hope the rebuild goes OK :like:

WD :like:

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
Without opening up the engine you can't price it. No one knows what internal damage was done. Like WD stated, the electronics may have turned off but the mechanical parts continued to move for quite some time unless something jammed them. You had an engine rotating 120 times per second when the crank broke right behind the timing gear. This means that nothing was keeping the tolerances in there. It's very likely that the valves made contact with pistons. Could have broke the valves or pistons. Scaring the cylinder walls. Pieces went into crank case. It could have damaged the heads themselves. You can't know. A new block can be purchased for $1200 with no machining or repair needed. You could have something of value or you could indeed have a large boat anchor.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be real.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ReapSow

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Thanks

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Echo what others say - no way to know. I did want to add...the heads and valvetrain are arguably the most expensive part of this engine. If the heads took a beating from bent/broken valves..the value of that engine is quickly approaching zero.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why delete original post inquiring, then also change thread topic to "closed"?

I mean, it's a good thread for others to learn from - AND I was hoping you would continue it with at least more updates and possibly any photo log of the tear down and possible build (depending on internals)....

šŸ˜’

OP
OP
ReapSow

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the opinions and would be happy to update the thread but it seems as though very few actually paid attention to the details I provided. The heads aren't trashed, it didn't drop any valves and the block is serviceable. My friend would be building the engine, sleeving it and replacing all the valvetrain with upgraded stuff, a very specific scenario.

I built a brand new engine, sleeved and fully built, so im well aware of what it costs to start from scratch with no block, heads, pan, cam covers, intake etc. I'm not really interested in giving this engine away because the damaged components aren't part of this specific scenario.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd second the repost and provide updates. I am in the boat of looking to learn about engine failures. There were several guys who posted who have real world experience on their motors and are a wealth of information too. I'd bet they are pointing out certain things because they have seen them on their own cars, or friends cars themselves. The little bit I've come to know them on this forum, they aren't posting to be assholes.
Sponsored