Climate Control Question

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
FWIW, If I press the AUTO button the A/C comes on with it most of the time. If I leave it alone the system turns on and off the A/C as needed (light on A/C button also turns on and off). However, if I press AUTO, and then press A/C, to turn the A/C off, it will do what it can and never turns the A/C on. Likewise, if I press the A/C again the A/C turns on, but never automatically turns off. Only pressing AUTO again resets the system. I would also note that the system is pretty quick to act, but I don't assume it to be fully operational until the car is up to temp.
I was told to do a master reset of the MFT system right after I took delivery of the car. I've not had any buggyness with the system, but more than a few folks told me that tip and it may have helped.
Wow. I Never paid enough attention to notice that the AC turns on/off as needed on Auto. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:
Sponsored

michaelmfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium Manual Trans
If you TOUCH the AC or fan speed buttons, you are no longer in AUTO mode, even if the AUTO light is still on. You have made a manual choice to turn the AC on or off, or to set the fan speed, and the car will respect that. You have to press AUTO again to get back into AUTO mode.
Yeah, this is a little annoying to me. My 2012 Kia turns off the "Auto" light when the climate settings (fan speed, a/c state, vent choice, recirc) are manually adjusted. The Mustang keeps the Auto light on, and it can be confusing because the system is really not in true Auto mode any more.

OP
OP
packick

packick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Coupe Premium
I guess I have one more question. Do you have to re-press the Auto button every time you start up the car or does it remember that it was on Auto when you turned the ignition off the last time?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I guess I have one more question. Do you have to re-press the Auto button every time you start up the car or does it remember that it was on Auto when you turned the ignition off the last time?
It remembers.

Turn it off then turn it on to reset things and then only use the temp control to adjust the fan speed.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Both of these tips are good advice, and necessary. If you TOUCH the AC or fan speed buttons, you are no longer in AUTO mode, even if the AUTO light is still on. You have made a manual choice to turn the AC on or off, or to set the fan speed, and the car will respect that. You have to press AUTO again to get back into AUTO mode.
The full climate page in the MFT helps in understanding what the system is doing.
On my car, if the system leaves AUTO the light goes out. That said, if I touch the fan speed the AUTO will leave it at what I set it at, but still AUTO the vents. Conversely, if I choose a vent and leave the fan alone AUTO will run the fan speed and leave my vent choice. On the screen you'll see the functions that are being run by AUTO are bracketed by a yellow/gold line, if you change one of these the bracket will disappear, but remain for the other AUTO controlled functions.

If you do what I (mostly) do and set a temperature on AUTO and don't touch anything else the car will maintain that temperature through ignition cycles.

I've used automatic climate control from GM, Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and Audi and each one has their unique foibles. I do have to say that I think I like the Ford one the best with the Chrysler right behind it.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
The full climate page in the MFT helps in understanding what the system is doing.
On my car, if the system leaves AUTO the light goes out. That said, if I touch the fan speed the AUTO will leave it at what I set it at, but still AUTO the vents. Conversely, if I choose a vent and leave the fan alone AUTO will run the fan speed and leave my vent choice. On the screen you'll see the functions that are being run by AUTO are bracketed by a yellow/gold line, if you change one of these the bracket will disappear, but remain for the other AUTO controlled functions.

If you do what I (mostly) do and set a temperature on AUTO and don't touch anything else the car will maintain that temperature through ignition cycles.

I've used automatic climate control from GM, Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and Audi and each one has their unique foibles. I do have to say that I think I like the Ford one the best with the Chrysler right behind it.

Good points. I have to say that after having dealt with Automatic Climate Control from Chrysler (way back) GM, Ford (including Mercury and Lincoln) and Infiniti over a long period of time, this one is the only one that I can leave in Auto most of the time. It isn't stupid. Nothing I hate worse than having hot air blown across my face, and this system is willing to give me a cool breeze out of the high vents while heating the floor. It's also not so insistent on Max Effort AC with full fan speed whenever it's hot outside. I might even give you that it's better than the standard AC system, which I have NEVER come close to saying in the past. Not disappointed at all.

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
OK so let me get this right, if I leave my AC on, and have it on Auto, and then never touch it, the AC will run if it's hot out, but when it's colder out than what I have the temp set at it won't run? I work graveyard shift and when I get in my car at 2 am to go to work it's usually in the 50's so I like for my car to warm up inside, and when I get off of work it's usually in the 80's or hotter in the summer...will it warm up with the AC on??

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
OK so let me get this right, if I leave my AC on, and have it on Auto, and then never touch it, the AC will run if it's hot out, but when it's colder out than what I have the temp set at it won't run? I work graveyard shift and when I get in my car at 2 am to go to work it's usually in the 50's so I like for my car to warm up inside, and when I get off of work it's usually in the 80's or hotter in the summer...will it warm up with the AC on??
It will do all that. It will decide whether the AC needs to be on or not, and whether it needs to blend heat into the air. If you are not happy with its choices, bump the Temp up or down a couple of degrees and it will probably change its approach a little. I find that 70 is a pretty good target, but is too warm in the winter for me so I knock it down to 67 or so when I know its trying to heat.

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
The auto climate control in this car sucks compared to my 3 other Fords.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP

Sponsored

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
YES SIR!!!!
I actually started a thread on this back in February but got little response. It's weird because in my wife's '13 Explorer and my '15 Escape the auto climate control works great. It's horrible in this car though. Doesn't make much sense.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The auto climate control in this car sucks compared to my 3 other Fords.
If you say so. Mine works as well as the one in my wife's edge and as well as the one in my 135i.

I admit it is misleading the way the auto light does not turn off if you hit something other than the temp controls, but once you know that, no problem.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
I hated the climate control in my 2013 GT premium. So I have been pleasantly surprised by my base climate controls in my 2015 V-6 vert that use simple buttons instead of touch screen. Soo much easier to operate and less to break. Do we really need voice controls and "Automatic everything" in our Mustangs?

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
If you say so. Mine works as well as the one in my wife's edge and as well as the one in my 135i.

I admit it is misleading the way the auto light does not turn off if you hit something other than the temp controls, but once you know that, no problem.

Well that's great for you, mine sucks.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Well that's great for you, mine sucks.
That is very descriptive. How so? Point being it should/can work fine. If it isn't, bring it in. Make use of that warranty.
Sponsored