Sponsored

Child sitting on vert closed top? Doable?

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Has anyone had any experience sitting a child on the closed convertible top? The child would be 8th grader about 120 pounds for a parade. Friend wants to use my mustang but I’m a little nervous about damaging top.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Don't do it. That panel, and the mechanism are not built to bear the weight of anything besides itself.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick response. This lady wants it for this Saturday. I feel bad saying no. But the dang car cost me over $50k and I don’t want to mess it up.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the quick response. This lady wants it for this Saturday. I feel bad saying no. But the dang car cost me over $50k and I don’t want to mess it up.
Just say no - it's your car...

Ask her how she would like it if you wanted sit (or stand) on the thin roof of her vehicle that's not made to support any such weight at all. :devil:

Is this woman a work friend, family friend, fiancé, significant other portrayed as a friend or friend with benefits that you can't just tell her "no"? 😃

Deleted member 35644

For what your car costs, and what it would cost to fix that after something broke, you shouldn't feel bad at all for saying no.

Sponsored

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
when you say closed I picture up and I can't imagine having someone ride on top. If you mean down ( stored behind back seat) I've done it on a 73 and 03 and no problems. I'm not familiar with the new ones so I can't say for sure but I can't imagine it would hurt it. I had 2 full grown adults on the 03 with pillows for their comfort. Jim I was more concerned with what they had on their feet on my 03 cobre leather

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Normally, verts are top-down in a parade. Do that, wear coats/hats and blast the heat. Then sandwich the kid in the middle of the back seat if you have to.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My bad. I meant to say top down. Lady is a friend and her daughter is in school classes with my daughter.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
She’s like some pageant queen that wants to sit on the top that’s down. Top feels slightly sturdy. Maybe it can hold her without risking any damage or the top’s integrity.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Maybe it can hold her without risking any damage or the top’s integrity.
maybe, or maybe something unexpected happens and she falls off a moving car with you driving it and it all goes sideways and you go to jail and ruin your life. Life is full of surprises.

Child sitting on vert closed top? Doable?
BTW, I almost choked with my coffee when I read this 😱 :crackup:. Florida man stories taken to next level 😄

Last edited:

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have no input on sitting because my last and only convertible was an 89 Chrysler Lebaron that was a hand me down from my mom when I was still in college.

But I'm curious, is she asking to borrow your car for this or would you be driving your car in the parade?

Borrowing the car for me would be an immediate no. 2 people besides me have driven my mustang, my father and my good friend/neighbor/mechanic who does all my maintenance. I knew there was more than 1 reason I bought a manual. :cwl:

I love my mustang as I suspect many on here do, if something happened to it, it's possible it could ruin a friendship. Now if you want to borrow my old 07 F150 that's another story, I've let many friends borrow that because it has an 8ft bed.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I would drive since I know the car and it’s a manual.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I don't have a vert, so I cannot opine on your question directly, but if i did, this would be an easy no for me. Not gonna risk damaging it for avoidable reasons, I would kick myself the rest of the time i had the car, even if i had it fixed!

I once was showing a big wig at my company my new car, and he asked if he could drive it. I said no so fast it surprised even me! And this is a person responsible for the job and income that let me buy the car in the first place! Didn't even hesitate a full second!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have used my car in a number of parades with people sitting in back, more leaning against the top than actually sitting on it. That works out just fine. The front section of the top is quite solid, but having somebody sitting on it would be a real safety concern.

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
Tell her to rent one for the day. Relieves you of any responsibility if something goes sideways . Also no chance of damaging yours. I grew up in Lauderdale, there’s def no shortage of vert rentals.

edit: just saw you’re from GA. Earlier reply said something about FL stories so I assumed your were in FL. Sure there’s plenty of very rentals in GA as well
Sponsored

Last edited: