Sponsored

Check Engine Light - Remove Mild Mods Before Appt?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I took 2022 GT into the dealership for an oil change last week, and they also topped off the low trans fluid level and I have drove it daily the past 8 days with no issues.

After leaving work today, I got a check engine light when I started the car and the RPM's went haywire for a moment. I restarted it and the check engine light stayed on but it drove pretty normally on the way home.

I stopped at the local auto store to have the check engine light codes printed out and it is a P0302-Cylinder 2 misfire code.

My question is, I replaced my airbox cover with a 2019 one weeks ago (to get rid of the carbon filter and plastic honeycomb), should I worry about putting the original one back on before taking the car in?
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It can vary from dealership to dealership. Some may not say a word about the the new airbox cover and another may blame the code on it, without any explanation. Did you happen to gas up recently? Bad gas can cause that code. I got that code three hours after driving my car off the lot, I phoned in and talked to the head mechanic and the first question asked was what gas had I put in it, especially with it having the Roush Supercharger. Turned out mine was a bad sensor.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
So, I didn't want to take any chances or give them any excuses, so I put the original lid & filter back on last night. Took my car into the dealership this morning and it was basically in limp mode, driving horrible.

They re-programmed the PCM with what they said was a "new calibration" as a first step and that did get rid of the problems, at least so far. They asked me to take it back and drive it and see if any symptoms return but so far so good.

Seems crazy that it could be driving fine and then all of a sudden the programming that worked fine for 8 months needed to be changed.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
merlin, it took me a while to find your thread after it got moved but here I am. I’d really be interested to hear “the end of the story” as to whether getting rid of the CF and plastic lattice (with the new airbox) may have been responsible for your CEL. From what I’ve read the trouble seems to come in removing the lattice, while just removing the foam filter causes no trouble. I wonder

BTW, could you tell any difference in performance with the 2019 airbox?

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
merlin, it took me a while to find your thread after it got moved but here I am. I’d really be interested to hear “the end of the story” as to whether getting rid of the CF and plastic lattice (with the new airbox) may have been responsible for your CEL. From what I’ve read the trouble seems to come in removing the lattice, while just removing the foam filter causes no trouble. I wonder

BTW, could you tell any difference in performance with the 2019 airbox?
I don't have any reason to believe that the air box had anything to do with the "cylinder misfire/check engine light" issue. I dropped in a high flow filter and removed that carbon filter months ago.

About a month ago, I replaced the 22 lid with a previous year and had daily driven it since for a few weeks with no issues.

The trouble that I believe you heard about is not really with the lattice that exists in the lid of the GT but the inner tube that is inserted in the tube that connects the air box to the throttle body.

It also has lattice in it and removing that inner tube changes the circumference of the air tube and could cause an issue with the MAF.

I kept that inner tube from my original and put it in the replacement tube/lid so the circumference stayed the same as my original tube.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I would be absolutely shocked if the dealer knew it was a different year filter box lid installed. We, as enthusiasts, know way more of the minutiae than the techs at the dealer do. They have to deal with way more cars than one model (and sub model) and those kinds of details just don’t even register. Don’t expect the techs to know every part number of every ford car and truck part, new and old.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I would be absolutely shocked if the dealer knew it was a different year filter box lid installed. We, as enthusiasts, know way more of the minutiae than the techs at the dealer do. They have to deal with way more cars than one model (and sub model) and those kinds of details just don’t even register. Don’t expect the techs to know every part number of every ford car and truck part, new and old.
Yeah, I wouldn’t have bothered with putting it back to oem before service if it wouldn’t have involved them troubleshooting an issue of this nature where it could have been anything from a sensor issue to a coil or vacuum leak.

I didn’t want to give them any excuses.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
You’re 99.9% correct but for that .1% that probably would figure it out then it “MIGHT” be a problem. Remember that dealerships are looking for any and every excuse to deny a warranty claim. From using summer air in your tires in winter time to letting your car stand out in the rain.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1985 Renault Turbo Fuego
You’re 99.9% correct but for that .1% that probably would figure it out then it “MIGHT” be a problem. Remember that dealerships are looking for any and every excuse to deny a warranty claim. From using summer air in your tires in winter time to letting your car stand out in the rain.
I disagree: dealers are perfectly happy to do warranty work because they get paid for it. It is in their best interest to do as much warranty work as possible so that they make as much money as possible. The problem is that they do get paid less (both in rate and book time) and also that Ford works to keep them honest by requiring an approval process for higher end claims and also requiring that some failed parts be returned. Yet it is often easier to get paid by ford than by unhappy customers.

I've seen dealers make warranty-covered repairs on a car that had no warranty, while claiming it under the warranty of another car. This was of course a favor to someone.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
An air intake could be part of the problem (even if its unlikely), and since its just the intake which is trivial to swap (as things go), I’d definitely return it to stock before having the dealer take a look.

If they notice the intake was changed, that goes in the file and you’re going to have a tough time getting help for your issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We certainly need to know this stuff when it happens, but it’s sure depressing knowing that a seemingly minor mod has the potential to completely upset the apple cart.

It‘s getting to the point where you almost need to be sure you’re totally satisfied with the stock configuration when you buy the car because you’re not going to be able to change it without difficulties potentially arising. Seems that the ’24s will be even more so. It’s laughable but can we safely even install a drop-in?

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
We certainly need to know this stuff when it happens, but it’s sure depressing knowing that a seemingly minor mod has the potential to completely upset the apple cart.

It‘s getting to the point where you almost need to be sure you’re totally satisfied with the stock configuration when you buy the car because you’re not going to be able to change it without difficulties potentially arising. Seems that the ’24s will be even more so. It’s laughable but can we safely even install a drop-in?
Yeah, I can't really say for certainty that any of the minor changes I made was the cause but wanted to still update everyone because there isn't a lot of information on these types of mods on the 22.

I really don't think the drop in , or removing the carbon filter was the cause because those were made several months and several thousand miles ago with no issues.

Now, the lid replacement? Who knows. That was done just a few weeks ago.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I can't really say for certainty that any of the minor changes I made was the cause but wanted to still update everyone because there isn't a lot of information on these types of mods on the 22.

I really don't think the drop in , or removing the carbon filter was the cause because those were made several months and several thousand miles ago with no issues.

Now, the lid replacement? Who knows. That was done just a few weeks ago.
I for one appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this Merlin, and keeping us updated. I’m sure others do as well.

This stuff is important as we learn more about these 22s. Ford sure isn’t helping us any.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've experienced a random misfire myself, and the check engine light flashed a few seconds and then went off. If yours stayed on then it implies it was an on-going misfire, and you should try to avoid driving the car next time to not cause engine damage. (I doubt you did in this case)

Did they do any other maintenance other than the transmission? If just the fluid top-off, then I would say the work performed is not related to misfire code at all.

There is a chance that you have a misfire occurring due to a bad spark plug, ignition coil, or their connectors, especially since it's a specific cylinder. When they did the re-learn process, I would suspect they also did a once-over of the affected cylinder connections, checked the plug, and then cleared the adaptation profile.

Everything is running well now?
Sponsored