Sponsored

Caught in the rain.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
just dont get caught in the rain with cup 2s or r888rs...

Yikes! I’d be lying if I said this was more fun than terrifying on worn cup 2s on my R...

C2F0AF81-8515-47E0-BBE1-096B10513406.png
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Damn are those the Non-R or the R (most aggressive) cup tires? I've watched your video probably 10 times to try to comprehend what had happened. To me, you were doing fine traveling at 40 until you gave it a downshift / gas. That's when it spun.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Damn are those the Non-R or the R (most aggressive) cup tires? I've watched your video probably 10 times to try to comprehend what had happened. To me, you were doing fine traveling at 40 until you gave it a downshift / gas. That's when it spun.
not my video. guy named procharged beast. he's in FL and running a D1SC 900rwhp procharged voodoo. tires are the toyo r888r.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
not my video. guy named procharged beast. he's in FL and running a D1SC 900rwhp procharged voodoo. tires are the toyo r888r.
gotcha, it looks like it went sideways as soon as the throttle came in. definitely recommend using wet mode. it reduces the throttle in several points (response, aggressiveness, and power)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I drew a rainy track day at the Ridge Motorsport Park on Aug 21. It rained for most of the day. It was my first track day in the wet and I have to admit it was more fun than I originally expected. My Cup 2's did great even though they're almost shot. The good news is that there was so little wear due to the wet pavement, they're good for at least one more day!

Towards the end of the afternoon, the rain finally relented and a damp/dry line started to form in time for the last two sessions. I had hired an instructor who was in a Corvette behind me driving on slicks. In our final session, I hit 130 at the end of the front straight before braking for Turn 1. My instructor was struggling in the wet, but was trying to keep up. As I rounded the turns heading up the hill, I heard him through my headset loudly exclaim "Whoops!" I asked him what happened. He said, "I just had an off at 125 MPH!" I was afraid he'd slid across the wet grass into the far tire wall, but there's a significant run-off area there. Later, he told me he'd hit a wet spot near the end of the straight that turned his car enough to send him off. Luckily, no damage was done except a cone slap on his front fascia.

Detailing can wait. This car was meant to be driven. (1 more for Les ;)

(With apologies to Elsa): "The wet never bothered me anyway."

20200821_132051.jpg

130 MPH At The Ridge in the Damp.png
Its fun to track in the rain. Whole new skill set to develop and new dynamics to learn. A little track schmeg adds character!

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
The day I picked up my car they washed it for me. Five minutes from the dealership I was in a thundering downpour and rush-hour traffic. But it’s only a 5.0 so no big deal. :)

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
It's fun driving in the rain.

tenor.gif

...and then detailing

tenor.gif

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's like starting out with two and a half strikes against you . . . yikes

Norm

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

Thats pretty scary. That must have been some pretty hard rain, I got caught in the rain when I was picking up the vehicle from PPF installation and I was pretty scared at first, but it wasn't bad at all and I actually was able to ride in the fastlane with some speed. I didn't have any issues, I had traction so I thought I was good. I saw this video the day after and considered myself lucky. I didn't even know that there was a 'slippery mode' until a few weeks ago when I was going through the owners manual.

I wonder why it happened? I don't have toyo tires so that maybe why. I bet every Hellcat or Redeye owner clenches their butthole every time they have to ride in the rain, I know for sure I would.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wonder why it happened?
900 HP
Tires with very little tread grooving, and what's there is shallow even when brand new
A slightly too-enthusiastic right foot (i.e. any enthusiasm whatsoever)

It's as good an illustration as any for why drag races aren't run in the rain . . .

Norm

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
900 HP
Tires with very little tread grooving, and what's there is shallow even when brand new
A slightly too-enthusiastic right foot (i.e. any enthusiasm whatsoever)

It's as good an illustration as any for why drag races aren't run in the rain . . .

Norm
Wow 900HP? Jesus Christ no wonder why lol thats why I feel like it would be sketchy driving a hellcat or a redeye in the rain

That makes sense then, because I did some quick pulls (within reason) in the rain and I didn't break traction at all
Sponsored