Sponsored

How Does The GT350 Handle Roads in The Rain?

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
I'm driving down to St Louis tomorrow to have Xpel Ultimate installed on car. The weather forecast is heavy rain and wind. I'm coming down Hwy 61 South to MO 364 East to his shop. MO DOT says those roads are passable at this point, but man MO has been getting socked with rain this year.

For those that have driven in wet weather how does the car handle? I've already experienced a little tramlining on dry roads, so am a little nervous.
Thanks
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I've only driven it in the rain once - the day I picked it up. Seemed fine. Don't forget to change your drive mode to weather.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Also avoid puddled water. The manual states:

DRIVING THROUGH WATER
The GT350 has aerodynamic devices
attached to the underbody designed to
help control airflow for superior
performance. Therefore, the driver must
be especially careful to avoid driving
through deep or standing water. If driving
through deep or standing water is
unavoidable, do not exceed 10 mph
(16 km/h). Never drive through water that
is higher than the bottom of the wheel
rims. Water may enter through the air
intake due to the vacuum generated in the
engine. Damage caused by the intake of
water in the engine is not covered by the
warranty.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm driving down to St Louis tomorrow to have Xpel Ultimate installed on car. The weather forecast is heavy rain and wind. I'm coming down Hwy 61 South to MO 364 East to his shop. MO DOT says those roads are passable at this point, but man MO has been getting socked with rain this year.

For those that have driven in wet weather how does the car handle? I've already experienced a little tramlining on dry roads, so am a little nervous.
Thanks
It rained at the track attack and the car performed like it was dry.

It also rained when I drove Daytona last December with no issues.

I didn't use weather mode, but if you are on the road in severe weather, it probably would be a good idea to turn it on.

OP
OP

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

DRIVING THROUGH WATER
warranty.
Yeah, I think the warning was the same for my Boss302. My goal is to not drive through any deep or standing water, but more interested to know how car/tires handle the water say during a heavier rain. Thanks

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Yeah, I think the warning was the same for my Boss302. My goal is to not drive through any deep or standing water, but more interested to know how car/tires handle the water say during a heavier rain. Thanks
The MPSS tires are amazing in the rain. Infact I believe they are the best ultimate performance summer tire rated in the rain/water per Tirerack. The few times I have driven in the rain which included highway's, the car drove like normal. I used weather mode.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The GT350 MPSS are actually a slightly rounded/less square design, made that way specifically to better handle adverse weather conditions. They really shouldn't have any trouble in rain :thumbsup:

As my buddy TR told me when I picked up my car however, "with those sticky tires when you're on the highway, you fuckin' hold on with both hands cause she'll be all over the place" hahaha [MENTION=11655]ohtobbad[/MENTION] and he was right :D But the Cup 2's aren't designed for rain or shitty roads either lol

Last edited:
OP
OP

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It rained at the track attack and the car performed like it was dry.

It also rained when I drove Daytona last December with no issues.

I didn't use weather mode, but if you are on the road in severe weather, it probably would be a good idea to turn it on.
Thanks - that's good to hear. No severe weather is forecast, but constant rain and 15-20 mph winds.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Agree with [MENTION=21800]Tomster[/MENTION]. I drove the piss (6/10ths of the instructors :lol:) out of the car at track attack on dry and the MPSS tires were chirping and squealing like stuck pigs.

We came in and saw snow on the caps, and saw something coming for us and it was hail/rain. Dumped hard for 15 minutes while we were in class break and then after class went out on a wet track. It took a lap or two to build confidence but the MPSS tires stuck much better than I thought they would. I only broke loose in breaking for the hairpin.

You'll be fine.

Btw, I only got caught in the rain once in my R, on the way home from a show. I kept it under 20mph... and even with that you could feel the SC2 tires break a little here and there.

Sponsored

ElAntonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (Grabber Blue, Electronics)
I daily drive mine in Florida. Rain is a fact :p

It's fine. Avoid standing water so you don't kill your engine, and I like the weather setting for it. But realistically, the Tree-Fiddy does just fine as long as you're not being an idiot. Anything that would be stupid in a Mustang GT is equally stupid in the 350.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Agree with [MENTION=21800]Tomster[/MENTION]. I drove the piss (6/10ths of the instructors :lol:) out of the car at track attack on dry and the MPSS tires were chirping and squealing like stuck pigs.

We came in and saw snow on the caps, and saw something coming for us and it was hail/rain. Dumped hard for 15 minutes while we were in class break and then after class went out on a wet track. It took a lap or two to build confidence but the MPSS tires stuck much better than I thought they would. I only broke loose in breaking for the hairpin.

You'll be fine.

Btw, I only got caught in the rain once in my R, on the way home from a show. I kept it under 20mph... and even with that you could feel the SC2 tires break a little here and there.
Woah there cowboy, don't tell us you made your girlfriend hold your purse on that drive home too did ya!? :D :lol:

The Cup 2's are definitely not happy with standing water, but I had no issues doing 45-55mph during that one heavy downpour and subsequent wet roads after I first picked up the car, and that was with new tires that hadn't broken in yet!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I did a full track day at New Hampshire motor speedway in heavy rain, never saw a patch of dry asphalt. Had to wrestle it a couple of times from spinning out, but other than that, it was awesome. Left it on sport mode.
This is on MPSS tires, I highly recommend them on wet.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

DRIVING THROUGH WATER
warranty.
This freaked me out when I first got mine and read it. Being in Florida with all the storms, and this is my DD, I got really worried. But honestly I don't see any way that water can enter the intake unless the inlet on the front bumper got under water.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I slow down to 100 mph on the autobauhn when i rains
Sponsored