Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just picked up my GT350 yesterday, while running through the booklets that came with her, I found a leaflet that mentioned you can't drive in the rain (or puddkes) any higher than the bottom of the rim, and if you must it has to be no faster than 10 mph. I've never heard of this before, I've seen Vette's plow through water above their hood. I can understand where the intake is on this car, not allowing water to get into that grill area, but we have a bad hurricane coming up and this is my daily driver. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my GT350 yesterday, while running through the booklets that came with her, I found a leaflet that mentioned you can't drive in the rain (or puddkes) any higher than the wheel well, and if you must it has to be no faster than 10 mph. I've never heard of this before, I've seen Vette's plow through water above their hood. I can understand where the intake is on this car, not allowing water to get into that grill area, but we have a bad hurricane coming up and this is my daily driver. Any thoughts on this?
Just think about where your Intake is getting air from. Also, if your are driving in water that deep, its getting into the passenger area and you are not only dealing with killing your engine, but flood damage inside the car.

GT350 or not, Im not driving through deep water.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I'm in Florida also. If I suspect rain in the amounts where puddles are going to form on the streets, I'll just drive my truck instead.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I would work from home if possible... It's more of a safety concern IMHO. Driving any vehicle in standing water / puddles when you don't know how deep is extremely dangerous and it doesn't take much for a vehicle to be swept away (especially in cat 5 hurricane conditions).

Vararam intakes on vettes have a very low intake and can injest water causing hydro lock. I don't think you have any concern of that with the GT350. If so, you'll need to be wearing a swimsuit...

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
That was something id been wondering about as well. Down here, there are a lot of parking lots that will have minor flooding after a moderate afternoon shower - 6-8 inches can happen...

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I had to drive 3 hours from the dealer home and 1/2 way home it started pouring. The roads started flooding. The GT350 did pull hard but it was not the bad.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I think the concern is that if you drive through a puddle that deep, it's going to pull very hard on the splitter, especially if you do it at any sort of speed.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I would think it is good advice to not drive into unknown depth puddles. And not for the cars sake, but the occupants.

There is a difference between driving in heavy rain and through fairly deep standing water.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Just picked up my GT350 yesterday, while running through the booklets that came with her, I found a leaflet that mentioned you can't drive in the rain (or puddkes) any higher than the wheel well, and if you must it has to be no faster than 10 mph. I've never heard of this before, I've seen Vette's plow through water above their hood. I can understand where the intake is on this car, not allowing water to get into that grill area, but we have a bad hurricane coming up and this is my daily driver. Any thoughts on this?
The pertinent issue here is what is meant by the highlighted phrase? I take it to mean water coming up into the wheel well, not water deep enough to cover a tire to the top. In either case if the water you plan on driving thru is deep enough to touch the bottom of the doors I would park my GT350 and rent an Explorer for the week.... "Enterprise will pick you up"

My alternate is a Dodge 2500 4WD with Cummins. I don't worry about the water unless I'm being passed by boats.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The pertinent issue here is what is meant by the highlighted phrase? I take it to mean water coming up into the wheel well, not water deep enough to cover a tire to the top. In either case if the water you plan on driving thru is deep enough to touch the bottom of the doors I would park my GT350 and rent an Explorer for the week.... "Enterprise will pick you up"

My alternate is a Dodge 2500 4WD with Cummins. I don't worry about the water unless I'm being passed by boats.
That's what the leaflet said, up the the bottom of the rim. I can borrow a vehicle from a relative if I know in advance, it's more getting stuck in the middle. Just was more curious on just ho9w accurate this is. The leaflet said due to special cooling ducts under the car water can get drawn into the engine, but I didn't see a damn thing down there that could do that.

Sponsored

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Back in June, I found myself caught in a downpour after there had already been near record rainfall for the month. I was worried shitless at first, but much to my surprise, the car tracked like it was on rails. I never came close to hydroplaning and toward the end of the 45 mile trip home, I was in the left lane doing 60 with total confidence. Totally unexpected.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

I just realized I typed the wheel well, dunno if it auto corrected or I dun when dumb, meant to type bottom of the wheel rim.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
that quote is also in escape owner manual, explorer owner manual, fusion owner manual also