Sponsored

Catch cans... need some advice

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I know catch cans have been discussed ad nauseous here but, unlike some people who put spoilers on for aesthetic purposes, I like bolting parts on that enhance or protect my investment.

That being said, I have looked at multiple catch cans and was going to purchase a FP RH catch can but I have a few questions:

1) ease of use - the FP version looks like dumping the catch would be a tedious and possibly dirty ordeal,

2) some catch cans are for 2015-2018 GT350s while others are for 2015-2020 GT350s. Is there something that happened to later GT350s to differentiate the catch cans?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
1) The difficulty (relative term) of emptying the Ford can is more than offset by the factory fit and finish. Don’t take it off to dump it, just take a small syringe and suck it out. I’ve even just used towels to soak it out. No big deal.

2) They're all the same.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know catch cans have been discussed ad nauseous here but, unlike some people who put spoilers on for aesthetic purposes, I like bolting parts on that enhance or protect my investment.

That being said, I have looked at multiple catch cans and was going to purchase a FP RH catch can but I have a few questions:

1) ease of use - the FP version looks like dumping the catch would be a tedious and possibly dirty ordeal,

2) some catch cans are for 2015-2018 GT350s while others are for 2015-2020 GT350s. Is there something that happened to later GT350s to differentiate the catch cans?

I have the FP and I wouldn't consider anything else. It's OEM quality, it fits like OEM and it's easy to empty. The lid's held on with four Allen head screws that a regular L-shaped Allen key (with a ball end) takes out quickly and easily. The lid swings up by swiveling the upper hose and you empty it with a turkey baster.

The whole thing takes about five minutes and makes zero mess.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I haven't tried the ford performance one so I don't have anything to compare it too but I watched videos of the JLT and Ford performance and I went with JLT because it seemed easier to install and clean. You can unscrew the can with your hands.

I bought the one with the mount because I thought it would be easier to install but I had some trouble installing it, I would recommend purchasing the one without the mount.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-oil-separator-3-0-passenger-side-11-17-gt-boss-15-gt350/

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i can tell you the JLT may not look "as OEM" as the FP but it is very high quality and it literally takes 5 seconds to unscrew. if you can swap a lightbulb you can do this one in the same time :) i love it. u wont believe how easy it is to check it or empty it.

Sponsored

TENTEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 350 GT R
I read extensively and watched many a YouTube video. Went with the JLT. Takes two minutes to install passenger side. Driver side takes about 10 min if you have the wrenches handy.
D0A8DB13-C45B-4A3B-A6CE-51EC632D39C1.jpeg

6152BD2A-7BF4-4729-B25D-3E25A422618F.jpeg

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech

I have the FP version and don't think it is very difficult to empty. Unscrew four allen cap screws, sop up the oil with a rag, put it back together. It does look very OEM, which I like.

Only comment is to be careful as you're removing/installing the allen head cap screws. They are tough to find in the bottom of the engine compartment/on top of the splash shield if you drop them. At least that is what my friend tells me.......:)

Glad that they stick to a magnet!

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with JLT unless they remedied it is tier use of cheap GP hose (driver's side CC). I could always smell the vapors in my ecoboost F150 as the lines were not fuel/oil rated and would allow vapor into the cab. Replaced it w/the UPR/CCS and it really does work amazing but the F150 is out of warranty so no loss. Went w/both FR for the 350 as she's still warrantied, they work well, and cheaper than the UPR w/CCS and valves.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't tried the ford performance one so I don't have anything to compare it too but I watched videos of the JLT and Ford performance and I went with JLT because it seemed easier to install and clean. You can unscrew the can with your hands.

I bought the one with the mount because I thought it would be easier to install but I had some trouble installing it, I would recommend purchasing the one without the mount.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-oil-separator-3-0-passenger-side-11-17-gt-boss-15-gt350/
RPDBlueMoon I'm curious, what did you have trouble with when installing this version? I like it better than the other, as it is secure/cleaner look and not just hanging out there.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I have the FP version and don't think it is very difficult to empty. Unscrew four allen cap screws, sop up the oil with a rag, put it back together. It does look very OEM, which I like.

Only comment is to be careful as you're removing/installing the allen head cap screws. They are tough to find in the bottom of the engine compartment/on top of the splash shield if you drop them. At least that is what my friend tells me.......:)

Glad that they stick to a magnet!
I can attest to that... I dropped one of the machine screws into the belly pan while emptying the passenger-side FP catch can in the middle of a track weekend. D'OH!! Fortunately the guy in the garage next to mine had a flexible, extending magnet with a built-in light on the end. Now I bring one of those to every track weekend, just in case!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
UPR is pretty high up there on the hog. Lol
see how low the UPR one is vs the JLT ? Any sort of decel in gear your gonna suck that oil straight through the JLT can. With the UPR hanging much lower & longer lines it's not that much of a problem. With my JLT I was still noticing oil going straight through. So I added like 16 inches of line on one side, 12 inches on the other and now it sits below the PCM. No more, or more aptly nowhere near as much oil making it through now.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I installed the FP passenger side. I plan to use a syringe/or pump (like a soap dispenser) to empty.
1610577033014.png
Sponsored