Carbon Wheel Experience Regarding Damage

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Looks like I’ll be sending mine off to Spyder this winter. 700 miles on the car. Was driving on a clean paved road - no idea where the rock came from. Pulled the wheel and sprayed it with a small electric pressure washer. The ceramic coating easily peels away from the wheel, just like removing the shell from a hard boiled egg.
9D0BCC2F-F93F-4281-AD78-8117434A0697.jpeg
I'm serious. That should be replaced under warranty. I had one like that, it was replaced.
Sponsored

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
So by leaving that untreated, the CF could be exposed to heat from the brakes and cause damage to the CF core?
For track use I would say yes there would be an issue. I don’t think they get hot enough during normal street driving to worry about. Just my opinion.

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
I'm serious. That should be replaced under warranty. I had one like that, it was replaced.
I’m taking it in next week for the dealer to have a look but have zero expectations. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here is my next project. For this one, I will have to 3D scan a perfect wheel and make molds. May too much work to do the gorilla tape method and sand it by hand to match the contours

This should turn out nice when I'm done with it.

Another example of how F'd up these wheels can get and still be repaired. You can't say that about aluminum.

20220923_133404.jpg
20220923_133357.jpg
20220923_133350.jpg
20220923_133346.jpg
20220923_133337.jpg
20220923_133329.jpg
20220923_133323.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I’m taking it in next week for the dealer to have a look but have zero expectations. I’ll let you know the outcome.
Don't take no for an answer. They might use road debris excuse, but you stand firm that the reason it happened is because the ceramic is not adhering to the carbon fiber.

If they deny, take it up the food chain.

Edit:
Make sure that a Carbon Revolution tech at Ford is aware of the nature of the failure (ceramic delamination). There is a guy in place in Detroit who is the CR liason to Ford. Ask me how I know.... actually, dont.

Sponsored

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Don't take no for an answer. They might use road debris excuse, but you stand firm that the reason it happened is because the ceramic is not adhering to the carbon fiber.

If they deny, take it up the food chain.
Thats an interesting take..... my other wheel was warrantied for the adhearing as you speak of (small areas) , they said that was clearly debris on mine. The funny thing is I would argue a rock should not be able to take something off that easily.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thats an interesting take..... my other wheel was warrantied for the adhearing as you speak of (small areas) , they said that was clearly debris on mine. The funny thing is I would argue a rock should not be able to take something off that easily.
Exactly. Mine showed a hairline crack around the circumference of the whole wheel. If you tapped on it, it sounded hollow and would slightly move. Delamination.

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
yes, let us know the outcome.... @Tomster how hard did you have to push on this for the peeling? My guess is the argument they will make is because there are markings that look like something rotating around the wheel, it was likely debris....

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Exactly. Mine showed a hairline crack around the circumference of the whole wheel. If you tapped on it, it sounded hollow and would slightly move. Delamination.

Ah, i dont have a hairline crack around the whole wheel on mine.... at least not that I can see

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is correct, unless you are running it to near failure or on the track, its a non issue.
Heat is epoxy's worst enemy. All epoxies at a certain temperature beging to soften. The epoxy that CR uses is a closely guarded secret. It is UV resistant, very high heat tolerant, but only to a point. If a wheel was run hard, like I run them at Daytona, and the ceramic was missing or damaged, it would damage the wheel because the epoxy can't withstand that kind of heat in such proximity.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
yes, let us know the outcome.... @Tomster how hard did you have to push on this for the peeling? My guess is the argument they will make is because there are markings that look like something rotating around the wheel, it was likely debris....
And my argument would be that under no circumstance the ceramic that remains on the wheel should be loose. If what's left on the wheel is not firmly stuck to the carbon wheel, it is delamination. If the ceramic was not adhering correctly to begin with, that would cause the ceramic to fall off with little effort. It could be argued that there might not have been any damage at all if the ceramic was adhering properly.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
And my argument would be that under no circumstance the ceramic that remains on the wheel should be loose. If what's left on the wheel is not firmly stuck to the carbon wheel, it is delamination. If the ceramic was not adhering correctly to begin with, that would cause the ceramic to fall off with little effort. It could be argued that there might not have been any damage at all if the ceramic was adhering properly.
It sounds like inspecting our CF wheels ceramic on a fairly regular basis isn't a bad idea....regardless of warranty coverage. No need to risk this kind of failure.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Another example of how F'd up these wheels can get and still be repaired. You can't say that about aluminum.
check into AL wheel repair before you say that. it's really damn impressive what kind of repairs can be done to AL wheels. I've seen AL wheels that were folded/torn almost in half and still be repaired. sometimes it's just cheaper to replace. until you have wheels that can't be.

I'm a fan of CF. not for daily street use tho. I wouldn't put them on my bicycle for every day road use, wouldn't put them on a motorcycle for every day use. but for racing or special occasions? hell ya. I really just dont wanna pay for the repairs that some stupid act would cost. you know, like avoiding an accident and hitting a curb, which can be quite common. just my .02