Car Won't Start

Black Beauty16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krystal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to owning an s550. I was hoping to get some advice for a starting issue I've been having for the past couple months. I purchased my 2016 Mustang GT used (one previous owner) in mid-February of this year. The first weekend in May I noticed the taillight was intermittently working, where sometimes it was working fine and others not at all. So, that Monday I brought my car to the local Ford dealer to have them look at it since I also purchased the extended service plan when I bought the car. They kept the car for the week and said I could pick it up that Friday until they hear back from Ford that a replacement was covered under warranty (took two weeks but was replaced).
The car started fine when I went to leave the dealer that day, however, after sitting at my house for a couple hours, when I went to leave the car wouldn't start. Since that night I would say the car has had a 10% chance of starting the first time I try. Tomorrow will be the fourth trip to a Ford dealer for this issue (these last 3 being to the dealer I bought the car from). One day a few weeks ago I had to call off work because it took two hours to get it to start and I drove it right to the dealer that replaced the taillight. Then, last night when I went to leave work I was stranded there for almost 3 hrs until it just randomly started after several tries. When I press the start button, my foot is to the floor on the clutch, and everything turns on inside the car, but there is no cranking at all. It's happened in different temperatures, on cold start, and after being driven and then sitting for 10-20 mins. So far the dealer tried replacing the clutch pedal sensor and a crimped wire they found in the ground to the battery. Yet, here we are. When using a scanner, some codes that come up are for engine starter performance and engine crank time too long. Any ideas, recommendations, or has anyone else had this happen? It's a shame that I felt like I was treating myself by getting this car and am obsessed with it, but quite frankly am fed up with this issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks!
Sponsored

Forgetaboudit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
I know this is an old post but maybe it will still help someone searching for some answers. I own a 2016 Ford Mustang gt 5.0 Manual transmission(one previous owner). My car would not start for days after a cold front came in. Replaced clutch engage switch, battery, starter. Bolts were lose on starter (not the problem for me) but worth fixing. No codes and accessories would all come on fine. It would say I had ( - - to empty ) and I have a full tank, when the accessories would come on. Just clicking when I’d try to start.... I have a really honest electrical mechanic i bring my car to. I almost brought it to dealer due to frustration. (To expensive in my opinion and to busy to really get a good diagnosis) I’m sure there are good dealership shops out there (just not near me) :) Anyway, he found the problem after troubleshooting through the battery , starter, clutch engage switch replacement. A Main positive wire Going to the fuse box was Terribly corroded. I live in Florida so lots of humidity. Owner previous tried to fix with electrical tape and crimping wire to break up the corrosion I assume . Made it worse in the long run. Here are pics after removing electrical tape the previous owner but on it. Definitely the cause for starter shorting. Hope this helps

A1A7E5B1-2CD8-44BB-B443-B2622C27F40E.jpeg

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
did he find it just like the picture shows? If so, I would that one should have been glaringly obvious to anyone opening the hood?

That is a bad situation

Forgetaboudit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
did he find it just like the picture shows? If so, I would that one should have been glaringly obvious to anyone opening the hood?

That is a bad situation
Lmao! I lift my hood up and say “Well, everything looks good here.” While shutting it. Lol!!! No he peeled back the insulation to show me the corrosion.
Sponsored