Car needs replacement wastegate actuator - can be 'several weeks'

themedsterr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - Rapid Red
4,000 miles in and she's already in the shop :( . Dealer said she needs a replacement wastegate actuator and they're on backorder with no ETA's available, said it can take several weeks! Dealer told me to call Ford to complain and try to get it expedited, other than that it's just a waiting game.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? All the dealer offered me was a rental car for one week lol. I know if the cars in for repairs for 30 calendar days, it's considered a lemon, not sure if I want to go the lemon route, I really prefer getting her back ASAP.

Has anybody else dealt with this kind of issue?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I take it you are talking about the bypass valve actuator?

OP
OP
themedsterr

themedsterr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - Rapid Red
Well that sucks worse than a sink hole, very sorry to hear about the issue, MG. Hope the part comes sooner than you think.

I don't think I could bear turning my girl in as a lemon.
Yeah, me neither. It was killing me seeing her in the repair lot just collecting dust, worst part was - the rep told me they keep the keys with the manager so nobody 'plays around with her'.. Ugh.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Waste-gates are a turbo thing, and sometimes confused with blow off valve which some superchargers like Procharger uses. I agree with E, they must be referring to the bypass actuator.

Either way, I hope the wait isn't as bad as expected.

Here's the thing, these cars are not replaceable as of now. They are too hard to come by right now to simply get into another one. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The service center specifically said wastegate actuator, but you could be right.
This will help to better understand the supercharger system as used on the GT500. Your service center sounds like they could stand to watch it and maybe learn something.

OP
OP
themedsterr

themedsterr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - Rapid Red
This will help to better understand the supercharger system as used on the GT500. Your service center sounds like they could stand to watch it and maybe learn something.

Thanks!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I had an issue that was going to take a long time for a backordered part, I would bring the car back when they get the part in. There is no way id leave my 500 laying around the shop on an indefinite hold.

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Call Ford to get the claim expedited, it worked well for me. I can tell you from experience, there is only 1 supercharger assembly in the country for part left. It’s in Las Vegas.. Might try to see if it’s a problem getting the part, rather than a buy back they might spring for the whole assembly. Just a thought. My experience below
3F18DDA3-6886-4F38-8777-4B0351D63C80.jpeg

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
If it were me I would try calling https://jokerzperformance.com/

they seem to be in the business of porting blowers, maybe they have an extra actuator. Even tho its's a Ford warranty concern, I would do whatever I could to track one down even if I had to pay for it. Given the current situation we are in, a ford part on backorder with no ETA could be a while.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great minds think alike.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And the flip side is that the dealership wouldn't touch that part with a 10 foot pole. That would leave you to do the job and if you did, would potentially void your warranty. I have a good relationship with my dealership and I've tried to do stuff like that before. No way Jose'.

I'd raise hell with ford to get the part asap and if there was no ETA on the part, I would recover my car for safe storage until the part materialized.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
And the flip side is that the dealership wouldn't touch that part with a 10 foot pole. That would leave you to do the job and if you did, would potentially void your warranty. I have a good relationship with my dealership and I've tried to do stuff like that before. No way Jose'.

I'd raise hell with ford to get the part asap and if there was no ETA on the part, I would recover my car for safe storage until the part materialized.
I think if you have a good technician, a good service manager, and a good Ford rep, it would be documented properly and be a non issue. Just my opinion, but every dealership is different.
Sponsored