Can Ford Ranger tow trailer & GT350 ? Other options

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
Would like to know whether the new Ford Ranger can tow a trailer with the GT350 and some track wheels/ tires ?
Couldn't find anything on this forum but if already covered, pls direct me to the thread.
Would also like to hear other options, both SUV's and trucks. Thinking to trailer my car so I can experience more tracks.
All input much appreciated.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Would like to know whether the new Ford Ranger can tow a trailer with the GT350 and some track wheels/ tires ?
Couldn't find anything on this forum but if already covered, pls direct me to the thread.
Would also like to hear other options, both SUV's and trucks. Thinking to trailer my car so I can experience more tracks.
All input much appreciated.
Looks like the supercrew with towing package can tow 7500 lbs. It's possible, but you'll be near max with a light aluminum trailer and the car.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

For reference, I tow and 8k lbs trailer with a Raptor and that has an 8k lbs tow rating. The pwoer is great, but the brakes feel a little underpowered compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and it gets "pushed around" a bit more. That said, it tows very adequately and a full size pickup is overkill for my needs and the Raptor makes a much better daily driver, so I am happy with it.

My guess is your experience/happiness with the package will depend on your expectations. If you're looking for a vehicle that CAN tow that load, but are more focused on how well it fits in other areas of your life (size, mileage, cost, etc.), then probably a good plan. But if you're buying it specifically to tackle the towing duties and usual truck things, you might be underwhelmed.

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Looks like the supercrew with towing package can tow 7500 lbs. It's possible, but you'll be near max with a light aluminum trailer and the car.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

For reference, I tow and 8k lbs trailer with a Raptor and that has an 8k lbs tow rating. The pwoer is great, but the brakes feel a little underpowered compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and it gets "pushed around" a bit more. That said, it tows very adequately and a full size pickup is overkill for my needs and the Raptor makes a much better daily driver, so I am happy with it.

My guess is your experience/happiness with the package will depend on your expectations. If you're looking for a vehicle that CAN tow that load, but are more focused on how well it fits in other areas of your life (size, mileage, cost, etc.), then probably a good plan. But if you're buying it specifically to tackle the towing duties and usual truck things, you might be underwhelmed.
Your raptors offroad suspension makes towing near the max at 8k lbs very scary. The front end lightens up significantly and your headlights aimed at the sky will piss off quite a bit of drivers on the road. Can you? Sure Should you? Not really.

Same applies to his ranger.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I would avoid the Ranger for car towing purposes as it will be pretty much maxed once you get a car and a trailer behind it. Get a nice F-150 if you don't have need for a F-250.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Your raptors offroad suspension makes towing near the max at 8k lbs very scary. The front end lightens up significantly and your headlights aimed at the sky will piss off quite a bit of drivers on the road. Can you? Sure Should you? Not really.

Same applies to his ranger.
Presumptuous much? If you know so much, tell me how I have it setup for towing duties?

Curious to know..I'll wait.

tenor.gif

Sponsored

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Presumptuous much? If you know so much, tell me how I have it setup for towing duties?

tenor.gif
I would hope with a weight distribution hitch and stabilizers. I'm not presuming because I've towed with a Raptor at max load before. The front end lightens up to the point of having no feel at max load. The raptor is a great offroad vehicle, but it was not designed to tow heavy due to the soft off-road suspension. Why do you think it has significantly lower tow ratings despite having significantly more power than a coyote powered F150?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I would hope with a weight distribution hitch and stabilizers. I'm not presuming because I've towed with a Raptor at max load before. The front end lightens up to the point of having no feel at max load. The raptor is a great offroad vehicle, but it was not designed to tow heavy due to the soft off-road suspension. Why do you think it has significantly lower tow ratings despite having significantly more power than a coyote powered F150?
Great to hear you've towed with a Raptor before....glad it makes you an expert to make statements like you're an expert in the field and qualified to provide concrete advice.

I've towed over 20k miles on my truck with the same trailer and the same load in it. Tows just fine with a weight distribution hitch and extended bumps tops to minimize squat. I've had full blown panic stops, towed through torrential downpours, 6in of snow, etc. you name it. Truck does just fine and I never felt in danger.

Did it feel as secure and purpose-built for the task as the F250 I've driven the same load with? Hell no. But was it more than adequate and plenty safe? Absolutely fucking yes.

Just because you want to drive on track doesn't mean you need a factory race car.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
My tow rig. The brakes is what I would be worried about more than power. Another thing to consider is width and wheel track of the truck doing the towing compared to the trailer you are towing. At a minimum, I would want the trucks width between wheels to be close the width of the trailer's wheels. Get into some wind gusts and you will see what I mean. If you are talking about a new ranger, then you are looking at new vehicles. You should be able to get a 2011-2016 F250 6.7 with slightly under 100k miles for cheaper than a new Ranger. Those little Rangers (all new trucks) are way over priced for what you get.... Just because you can, does not mean you should....

IMG_3030.jpeg

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Despite the p'ing contest over the whole Raptor towing thing, I recommend towing with a full size truck with plenty of towing capability. When I was racing I towed with a 2001 F150 that was at its max capability and it wasn't fun. The Ranger will let you down. Go with the F150.

DylanICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 19 Raptor, 17 Raptor, 11 Raptor, 96 Toyota LandCruiser
I have towed with Raptors often(I've had 3) and I have a 19 Ranger also, but have not towed with it. I also have a SuperDuty and a Peterbilt and a class A license.
I would avoid towing another car with the Ranger but would not hesitate for a second with the Raptor
Yes the springs are soft but with a load leveling hitch it can be very well balanced and does great.

IMG_1401.JPG

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Petstang

As you know I don’t tow so am not experienced but one of the guys from the track tows his C6 race trimmed vette with steel trailer using a new Grand Cherokee with 5.7L V8 with tow package. He likes it and says it handles the weight.

I figure an SUV may not be as stable with the short wheelbase compared to a pickup but is more usable and shorter for getting around town and daily driving.

DylanICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
Ultimately a HD diesel truck is going to tow better.
But to tow 6000lb 10 times a year is a waste of a HD work truck the other 355 days.

In any situation the set up is key. And it is mostly the distribution of Wight on the trailer. when you go through truck scales and the axle weights aren't correct they will make you re distribute your load on the spot

next time I go to the track I will be towing the GT350 with my Raptor.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I don't even have experience yet with my 19 F150 so the following opinion is worth exactly how much you've paid for it.

Assuming open aluminum trailer you're going to be at roughly 5500lb. I would be hesitant to pull that over long distance with a mid size truck. Again, no experience here. My general feelings are that one can get by with alot if one drives with sense.

Steel trailers seem to run about 1000-1100lb heavier than similar aluminum trailers, and I wouldn't consider steel in this case.

With the tow package, Ford quotes Ranger at (up to) 7500lbs towing. Figure in 600lb tongue weight and subtract from the max payload of 1560 (assuming supercrew 4x4) and you're at 900lb left over for people and equipment. Lots easier to eat up that leftover than you think.

In short, you'd be within spec, but I would like to know how the Ranger handles a load that large and heavy in non-ideal conditions. You'd be pulling a load that's over 1000lb heavier than the truck itself.

I ended up going with F150 and the max tow package for my use due to the above considerations and the fact that incentives were great on the full size trucks when I purchased.

I think a large factor will be your intended use. How many miles a year empty vs towing? What areas of the US (ie flat or mountains)? Being honest with myself in this area is why I didn't end up with a F250.

Last edited:

DylanICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
I don't even have experience yet with my 19 F150 so the following opinion is worth exactly how much you've paid for it.

Assuming open aluminum trailer you're going to be at roughly 5500lb. I would be hesitant to pull that over long distance with a mid size truck. Again, no experience here. My general feelings are that one can get by with alot if one drives with sense.

With the tow package, Ford quotes Ranger at (up to) 7500lbs towing. Figure in 600lb tongue weight and subtract from the max payload of 1560 (assuming supercrew 4x4) and you're at 900lb left over for people and equipment. Lots easier to eat up that leftover than you think.

In short, you'd be within spec, but I would like to know how the Ranger handles a load that large and heavy in non-ideal conditions. You'd be pulling a load that's over 1000lb heavier than the truck itself.

I ended up going with F150 and the max tow package for my use due to the above considerations and the fact that incentives were great on the full size trucks when I purchased.

I think a large factor will be your intended use. How many miles a year empty vs towing? What areas of the US (ie flat or mountains)? Being honest with myself in this area is why I didn't end up with a F250.
logical decision process
good choice

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I guess the question is your budget and how often/far you tow.

I towed a car about 500 lbs light with my trailblazer SS 10 hours. It did fine. The brakes were sketchy though.

If I planned on towing the gt350 I'm looking at a Grand Cherokee, Durango, used cayenne.
Sponsored

Last edited: