Sponsored

Can accelerator pedal resistance be adjusted?

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
The mechanical solutions suggested early-on involving springs and what-not would address the issues of pedal feel and physical resistance to increased amounts of pedal input.

Electronic solutions address what the ECU does with the signals that would be "downstream" of the pedal mechanicals.

Seems to me a full solution would use both approaches.

Norm
I agree Norm........the clutch was VERY LIGHT and the Accelerator Pedal was too.......I removed the clutch spring and installed one from Steeda......much better feel just wish I could try something like that with the accelerator Pedal??:sunglasses:

I thought about ordering an OEM pedal and seeing if I could somehow adapt a stronger spring into it??:inspect:

The PedalMax gismos are right pricey and don't really say much about control other than Max and Min from Normal?? :frown:
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I had the pedamax gizmo and it turned my ecoboost into a rocket off the line, too much ommph for me and of course I also had to turn it down in the rain and what not, just got so tired of adjusting it all the time I uninstalled it.

If you get the pot switch with it like I did, one can set it at any setting between off and max but that of course was more money.

TC

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Hey TC.......is "OFF" the same as stock and other adjustments just make it MORE touchy??:sunglasses:

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I just experimented and the "Ice & Snow Mode" throttle response is VERY NICE until you wanna GO........about 30% of the engine's power is all you get......back to the drawing board!!:shock:

MagneticMY19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
awaiting Delivery on 25 May 19
With the A10 and the optional 3.55 gearing, combined with big clumsy feet, sometimes my throttle control at low speeds isn't exactly smooth. I feel like I might have better control if the gas pedal return spring (or whatever the mechanism is) had more resistance. Is there any adjustment possible? Found nothing with Google. Thanks...
I know this is an old thread but I had the same feeling with my 2019 gt pp1 a10 auto. There just seemed to be no resistance at all. I was due for a service so I explained to the dealership that there seemed to be no resistance on accelerator pedal which was more noticeable at cruising speeds.

They told me that they checked it and it all seemed fine, after leaving the dealership I didn't agree so I went back and they told me to take one of their Tech's out and explain the issue to him. Long story short we went out on a drive in my vehicle and also in one of their vehicles which wasn't a massive difference but enough of a change to make the vehicle more driveable.

Tech agreed with me and agreed to change the accelerator pedal assembly for new one under warranty. Whilst the difference is not huge as stated before, they did tell me there was a fault in the old pedal assembly.

I am finding my car much better to drive at cruising and low speeds over shitty roads.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I had my tuner turn the tip in on the tune way down. As stated aggressive tip in is a way a tuner can make a car feel like it has gained power when it has not. I have just learned to drive very soft with my right foot to keep the low speed stuff smooth.

I find it kind of a challenge for myself to drive my tuned sport mode (drag mode) from stops as smooth as I can. It just takes a fly bench pressing the throttle pedal to make that mode not shift hard. lol...

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I've kinda gotten used to the throttle and am doing much better most of the time........then not so good!! :crazy:

Seems silly to have to buy a tuner to adjust "tip in" but perhaps it would be worth it??:lipssealed:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The resistance should be via a spring, which has nothing to do with the throttle mapping. But maybe it's internal, so not an easy mod. Mine is on the light side, but I'm used to touchy throttles in both cars and motorcycles, so have my right limbs quite used to that, so zero issues for me. But yes, when you're at a stop light, you can inadvertently start gassing the engine without even feeling it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The resistance should be via a spring, which has nothing to do with the throttle mapping. But maybe it's internal, so not an easy mod. Mine is on the light side, but I'm used to touchy throttles in both cars and motorcycles, so have my right limbs quite used to that, so zero issues for me. But yes, when you're at a stop light, you can inadvertently start gassing the engine without even feeling it.
It's some of each. Less mechanical spring means it's easy (too easy?) to physically call up more torque than you really wanted. And an electronic throttle can take that and exaggerate it still further, just like it can soften throttle response for the snow/wet driving mode. All done in a few lines of code.

Personally, I have no use for exaggerated electronic response at small throttle openings, as it just makes driving smoothly more difficult for no benefit and leaves you with room left at big pedal movements where hardly anything more happens. Let's just say I'm not impressed when I know part of the purpose of a mod is to fool me into thinking I'm getting more power when I know that I'm not.

Norm

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's some of each.
But they're INDEPENDENT of each other. You can have a very aggressive throttle tip-in, but with a lot of pedal effort, or with hardly any effort at all. And yes, if you combine light effort with aggressive tip-in, it makes matters worse, but you can have one, the other, or both.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
But they're INDEPENDENT of each other. You can have a very aggressive throttle tip-in, but with a lot of pedal effort, or with hardly any effort at all. And yes, if you combine light effort with aggressive tip-in, it makes matters worse, but you can have one, the other, or both.
You do not have a clue Dude. Your comparing a manual (what you have) versus A10 throttle/shift response. Move on...

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
I'm to am very interested in finding a way to increase the physical force required to move the accelerator pedal too.
I have broken my ankle, torn ligaments multiple times playing basketball.
It starts to be uncomfortable, cause me pain in my ankle when I drive longer distances. I believe this is due to me needing to constantly keep the weight of my foot from fully resting on the pedal. Just the weight of my foot is often more throttle than wanted.
All other cars I've drove, I can rest my full weight of my foot on the pedal and adjust throttle applications by how far I push down.
Has anyone open the pedal assembly to see if a change would be possible?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'll take neither for $1000, Alex.

Makes it a lot easier to drive when you're playing

and provides extra cushion against bad things happening on the street when you're not.

My cars can't let themselves be afraid of a little rain . . .

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm to am very interested in finding a way to increase the physical force required to move the accelerator pedal too.
I have broken my ankle, torn ligaments multiple times playing basketball.
It starts to be uncomfortable, cause me pain in my ankle when I drive longer distances. I believe this is due to me needing to constantly keep the weight of my foot from fully resting on the pedal. Just the weight of my foot is often more throttle than wanted.
All other cars I've drove, I can rest my full weight of my foot on the pedal and adjust throttle applications by how far I push down.
Has anyone open the pedal assembly to see if a change would be possible?
I can't imagine why there wouldn't be a way to mechanically add a tension spring to the pedal. Might take a little experimentation to get enough spring resistance without getting too much.

Norm

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I've thought about buying a new Pedal assembly to see if I can add a spring to it.......I'll call my parts guy and see what he can do for me.......stay tuned!!
Sponsored