Sponsored

CAI - Inlet Air Temp Question

RTRFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Just installed an AEM CAI system on my '16 EB PP AT... Really stoked on everything so far.

1st day... the car ran cool with IAT's running right along with numbers close to ambient +/- 2 degrees. Given this was with a cold engine start.

Today I noticed IAT's +10-15 degrees over ambient with a warmed vehicle. Is this due to heat soak or another reason.

I am no CAI expert so any help/advice would be helpful.
Sponsored

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Were you sitting in traffic when the IAT went up? You will probably see see IATs just above ambient when moving, but it's normal for them to go up higher when sitting in traffic or idling.

OP
OP

RTRFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Thanks for the reply...

As far as the traffic question... No major traffic. Just normal driving city conditions with a quick 15 min drive.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Thanks for the reply...

As far as the traffic question... No major traffic. Just normal driving city conditions with a quick 15 min drive.
Was the temp the exact same outside as it was before?

OP
OP

RTRFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
@Busser

Today was when I noticed the temp differences between ambient and IAT. For intance, it was about 65 degrees outside and my IAT was running at 78. Granted this was after a quick drive previously where the engine bay probably had some warmth in it.

Just wasnt expecting such a big difference.

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
@Busser

Today was when I noticed the temp differences between ambient and IAT. For intance, it was about 65 degrees outside and my IAT was running at 78. Granted this was after a quick drive previously where the engine bay probably had some warmth in it.

Just wasnt expecting such a big difference.
Non enclosed CAI will def experience high temps

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Any CAI will see higher IATs due to the lack of airflow moving at lower speeds. Even with a box, mine will go up a little bit while stopped or moving slow (35 mph of lower), but quickly drops back down once I start going faster. If you don't have a sealed box, that effect will be a lot more pronounced.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

RHDZach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Performance Package
I have a JLT intake on my GT.. I just started looking at mine the last few days... it seems like my car will stay 5-6 degrees warmer than the ambient air temp when i'm driving at about 50+ MPH. It was 62 degrees this morning and it was staying around 67 intake temperature.. If i'm sitting in traffic it will go above 100 if im just sitting there for an extended period of time. Probably since all the engine heat is soaking in the engine bay. Not sure if that's normal?

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I have a JLT intake on my GT.. I just started looking at mine the last few days... it seems like my car will stay 5-6 degrees warmer than the ambient air temp when i'm driving at about 50+ MPH. It was 62 degrees this morning and it was staying around 67 intake temperature.. If i'm sitting in traffic it will go above 100 if im just sitting there for an extended period of time. Probably since all the engine heat is soaking in the engine bay. Not sure if that's normal?
I experience the same with my JLT. I never watched temps with stock nor was it even close to warm when i had it, but the temps get up there if i sit in traffic or get back in the car after about 15 minutes or so after driving it.

It drops pretty quickly once back on the road. Takes about 2 minutes of driving to get it back to a few degrees above ambient.

RHDZach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Performance Package
I experience the same with my JLT. I never watched temps with stock nor was it even close to warm when i had it, but the temps get up there if i sit in traffic or get back in the car after about 15 minutes or so after driving it.

It drops pretty quickly once back on the road. Takes about 2 minutes of driving to get it back to a few degrees above ambient.
Glad to hear i'm not the only one. I was just concerned because i have the Stage3Performance RTR immitation grille.. There's no air holes for the intake like there is from factory. I've been contemplating drilling a few small holes in the center of the triangle LED housing to allow airflow to the intake. It looks like the real RTR grille is the same way but i can't imagine this being a good design for the intake.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If it's 60° outside, my IATs (JLT) will be right at ambient or just a couple of degrees above. I never see it anything above that unless I'm sitting in traffic or stopped, but as I said above, it quickly drops back down to ambient or right at it.
Sponsored