Sponsored

Cold air intakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Looking to purchase a new cold air intake system and am debating between a few systems due to price and performance. My first option is the air raid intake junior kit(air raid intake tube with drop in filter) which is around $250. Then the jlt CAI with the closed lid $350. And finally a Roush cai $450. Not planning to tune the car so I’m aware I won’t see any real noticable gains in any of these options. Mainly looking to get more turbo noise and improve the flow of the system plus better MPG. I’m leaning towards rhe JLT the most just because it’s in the middle and a closed box cai that’s not breaking the bank as much as rhe roush. Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. Thanks
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
If you want noise, the Pmas fenderwell one is what to go for. But you'd need a tune for that one.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
MPG won’t increase, so you can put that aside. Noise can increase, so that may make you happy.

Generall ALL of the open air intakes are absolutely not bringing in any more “cold” air, in fact as a rule they bring in more HOT air because the engine bay is warmer than the outside air and the closed factory box and factory air supply from the grill is about as good as it gets at sucking in only outside air. This is a pretty big downside to the aftermarket CAIs. Cold air intake is a very old term that does not apply at all to what you might put in your engine bay on a mustang.

With a tune, you can recover some of that loss from heat and gain a bit at speed by flowing better at higher RPM with a well designed intake like the PMAS (w/ tune) except the factory 18+ intakes leave very little room for improvement, they flow great and bring in cold outside air.

So do it for the noise if you like (its a pretty good reason) but lets have out eyes fully open about the pros and cons.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Try a drop in K&N filter first to see if it helps you achieve the increased turbo noise. From there, you can modify the airbox lid by drilling holes or carefully cutting out a section to serve as a port to let even more turbo noise out.

jimcardin7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Try looking at cold air intakes from K&N. I tried it and it feels fine. However, there is no increase in engine performance, but the increase in turbo noise may please you. K&N is considered one of the brands with best cold air intakes

Last edited:

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
These guys tested a few on the dyno and got pretty good results even without a tune. Looks like the highly cheered Airaid + K&N setup actually loses both HP and Torque with Roush bringing the highest numbers. Pay to play rule I suppose.
Sponsored

Last edited: