Sponsored

CAI for Ecoboost - Open vs. Closed Box

matt321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
All,

Looking to get an aftermarket CAI for my ecoboost mustang.

Something like JLT open CAI or a Corsa closed CAI.

Doesn't have to be these exact brands but want to know which is best, Open or Closed? Why?

Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
The reason that you go with a sealed air box is to isolate the CAI from the far hotter engine bay. If your element is allowed to access the hot air from the engine compartment it will.

ex_q90_w680_h_images_ePIM_original_ZZ1_LPP450326a_top.jpg

Obviously having the ability to get much cooler air from the front of the car will lend to making more power VS an open kit.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The Airaid box does well, even Adam has said this. If I was going to buy a CAI today, it would without a doubt be the Airaid.

An enclosed box, like Livernois mentioned, should always perform better due to having a cooler flow of air than you'd find in an open element/box design. Heat management is critical to making good power, so you'd want a sealed box like the Airaid.

There's a few sealed box designs out there from Airaid, Injen, Corsa, AFe, etc., but I'd still choose the Airaid because of the design, quality, and reputation of the company.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The reason that you go with a sealed air box is to isolate the CAI from the far hotter engine bay. If your element is allowed to access the hot air from the engine compartment it will.

ex_q90_w680_h_images_ePIM_original_ZZ1_LPP450326a_top.jpg

Obviously having the ability to get much cooler air from the front of the car will lend to making more power VS an open kit.
Did the guy who designed this for you guys use to work at AIRAID?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have said, enclosed for sure, it will keep the air hot out.

Also if it is not accessing outside air directly than why bother, performance gains are pretty different between just jamming one in the engine bay or having it suck in air from the outside like thru a duct by the headlight or something.

Terry

OP
OP

matt321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Well I ordered a GT grill that I plan on cutting out all the honeycomb with.

Also ordered one of these Big Mouth tubes from Velossatech.

http://www.velossatechdesign.com/product/2015-2016-s550-mustang-big-mouth-ram-air-kit/

I already have a KN filter in stock air box but want to make sure it I don't have any intake issues. I have heard the intake tube (running from box to turbo) is not efficient and thought I might just upgrade the whole CAI.

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
I used the Airaid tube from the airbox to turbo in conjunction with the stock box and an AEM dry flow. The tube is larger but they all neck down to the stock size where it couples to the turbo, so not sure of the effects.

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
I used the Airaid tube from the airbox to turbo in conjunction with the stock box and an AEM dry flow. The tube is larger but they all neck down to the stock size where it couples to the turbo, so not sure of the effects.
If the air can't flow any faster than at the tube's narrowest point, you'd think the pipe would be consistent in diameter for its entire length to make it easier to maintain a good air velocity moving through the tube. Every reducer is just one more place to potentially introduce turbulence into the path.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Not to piss on the Big Mouth parade, but the stock EB intake behind the grill is fully sealed off from the radiator. Just open up the closed grill plates and you have your ram air.

Also, smooth necking down should not create turbulence, only stepped reducers would do that.

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
That's why I've been using the stock turbo intake pipe (TIP) instead of the Airaid. It has a very nice linear reduction from the airbox outlet to the turbo inlet. Other than the accordion coupler, there's nothing I'd see that'd be a restriction and I really don't think the accordion coupler piece on the TIP would present a measureable impact on horsepower or performance.

I think the Airaid tube would really shine for a larger stock location turbo replacement, like the Vargas or Cavalli.

Last edited:

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang Eco/PP; 2003 Porsche Boxster
Okay. Fair enough. Doesn't the GT350 have an open box? Did Ford get it wrong in its top of the line performance mustang?

So much of the air is coming directly to the box as it should from outside that I have some doubt whether the closed box makes a big difference. I do get the obvious logic, just not sure it holds true. I know we are talking about the EB so maybe the comparison to the GT350 doesn't work.

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Okay. Fair enough. Doesn't the GT350 have an open box?Did Ford get it wrong in its top of the line performance mustang?

So much of the air is coming directly to the box as it should from outside that I have some doubt whether the closed box makes a big difference. I do get the obvious logic, just not sure it holds true.
If you look at the design of the GT350 intake, it has a really good setup for sealing against the hood of the car, more so than other similar intakes.

For stock turbo, I'd go with the GT350 over the Airaid. For a big turbo, I'd go Airaid. The GT350 setup would work with a big turbo, but you'd have to get the Airaid TIP for it as the stock TIP wouldn't fit on a larger stock location turbo. The Airaid can be had for less than $350 shipped whereas the GT350 CAI and Airaid TIP would be around $425+.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those two, but given that the OP was referencing more of a full CAI, that's why I didn't bring up the GT350.

Last edited:

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Okay. Fair enough. Doesn't the GT350 have an open box? Did Ford get it wrong in its top of the line performance mustang?

So much of the air is coming directly to the box as it should from outside that I have some doubt whether the closed box makes a big difference. I do get the obvious logic, just not sure it holds true. I know we are talking about the EB so maybe the comparison to the GT350 doesn't work.
You know what already has a sealed box design? The stock intake. Just throw a drop in filter in it. $400 you can get an MGW shifter, for $400 you can get 3 or 4 different suspension parts. For $400 you can get a pro tune, for $400 u can get close to getting an fmic. If u want sound and looks, then aftermarket. If you want to save your line for a couple HP and sound, then do the drop in filter. Good luck
Sponsored