bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
We're not going to buy the magazine. So could you give us a little more detail? What happened with the GT.? And for the record the PP2 doesn't come with coolers like the 1Le. So it probably went into limp mode right after the run.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They did say that the Civic Type R overheated, but they didn't say much about the PP2. Based on Randy's comments, I believe that he wasn't driving any of the cars for 10-20 minutes at a time. They did road tests, and then put Randy in the car on the track. He ran a couple timed laps and that was probably about it. Randy seems to be a good enough driver that it doesn't take him long to learn how a car behaves and wring out most of the available performance. During one of the other tests Randy said it was 72 degrees IIRC, so they were testing in nice cool weather. That may have been a factor as well.

Randy also set a new production car record with the Porsche 911 variant they are testing. I think it was called GT2 RS? 700 HP twin turbo flat 6 3.8 liter engine, RWD, DCT with sticky Michelins.

You should really subscribe to Motor Trend On Demand. It's only $5 a month and there's a ton of great automotive content to watch.

edit: and the 1LE was run on a different day than the PP2, so the lap times shouldn't be compared. Other than you could say they are similar in speed around Laguna Seca. Driver talent and tire condition will probably be bigger factors than the difference between the cars.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Now this is what Ford fans were waiting for. PP2 beating a 1LE SS on a track even though it is a different day and Motortrend did the same thing on another comparison not too long ago showing 1LE SS half a second faster on a different day. It is safe to assume the GTPP2 is on the same level or better performer than the 1LE SS even without the proper coolers, before getting into limp mode (which I haven’t seen any).

Regarding the ZR1 vs Ford GT, it was expected. ZR1 is a better performer even though it costs almost one third of the price of a GT. That car will cost mid 60’s in couple of years when the C8 hits the road. It would be a great deal to snatch one with low miles.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My bad, I was talking about Motor Trend's testing at Laguna Seca with a pro driver, not the C&D testing where they have random different drivers in each car.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
But it's not the same day / same time / same moon phase / same driver so the lap times don't count!!!111!!

Now this is what Ford fans were waiting for. PP2 beating a 1LE SS on a track even though it is a different day and Motortrend did the same thing on another comparison not too long ago showing 1LE SS half a second faster on a different day. It is safe to assume the GTPP2 is on the same level or better performer than the 1LE SS even without the proper coolers, before getting into limp mode (which I haven’t seen any)..
From the C&D article: "But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them. So there is one thing it needs besides a proper name."

Motor Trend also has the best drivers car with the PP2 right now: "Thanks to the super-sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that come with the Performance Pack 2, the Mustang GT has a ton of mechanical grip. But it feels clumsier and less composed than the Chevy Camaro SS 1LE that impressed us so much in 2016. " "The Performance Pack 2 is designed to get the Mustang GT on par with a 1LE-equipped Camaro SS, but the Racepak data reveals the brutal truth: Despite a 1:38.42 lap time that made it the second-quickest Mustang ever around Laguna Seca, it's still 0.65 second slower than the Chevy."

:D

Kudos to Ford for putting out the PP2 package. I'd say it's pretty awesome that the Mustang and Camaro are beating the lap times of cars costing 2-3x as much. I hope they both continue to put out kick-ass track oriented models like these.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
But it's not the same day / same time / same moon phase / same driver so the lap times don't count!!!111!!

From the C&D article: "But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them. So there is one thing it needs besides a proper name."

Motor Trend also has the best drivers car with the PP2 right now: "Thanks to the super-sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that come with the Performance Pack 2, the Mustang GT has a ton of mechanical grip. But it feels clumsier and less composed than the Chevy Camaro SS 1LE that impressed us so much in 2016. " "The Performance Pack 2 is designed to get the Mustang GT on par with a 1LE-equipped Camaro SS, but the Racepak data reveals the brutal truth: Despite a 1:38.42 lap time that made it the second-quickest Mustang ever around Laguna Seca, it's still 0.65 second slower than the Chevy."

:D

Kudos to Ford for putting out the PP2 package. I'd say it's pretty awesome that the Mustang and Camaro are beating the lap times of cars costing 2-3x as much. I hope they both continue to put out kick-ass track oriented models like these.
Maybe Randy's just not always the best driver. I mean he clearly cant drive the ZR1 for shit...did you watch the video?

And since you're into posting quotes about the PP2 , I assume you missed the following....

"The Performance Package Level 2 kit builds from the ground up, starting with a set of Michelin’s track-magic Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires—same size at each corner—that stick to the pavement like duct tape. The Mustang hammers through Turn 1 at 1.13 g’s, cornering harder than the McLaren 720S, Porsche 911 GT3, and Ford’s own supercar. It turns in instantly, steers with perfect clarity, and changes direction with the kind of neutral balance you wouldn’t expect from a front-engined car. Magnetorheological dampers rein in body motions. Six-piston Brembos gnaw on upsized front rotors for indefatigable braking. In taming VIR, the Mustang GT PPL2 trades American brashness for the world-class manners of a Porsche GT car." :giggle:

No mention of Advanced Trac turning itself back on somehow from the C&D crowd.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
All stuff that's been said about the 1LE already :wink:

Motor Trend didn't say anything about the diff overheating :like:

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
All stuff that's been said about the 1LE already :wink:

Motor Trend didn't say anything about the diff overheating :like:
no shit sherlock but would people have said those things about the 1LE if it was somewhat clumbsy and less composed? If it needed more front bar or the stability control was intervening after you turned it off? :crazy:

Maybe it simply didn't overheat for Motortrend :idea: .

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Curious why GM did not send the SS 1LE....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Curious why GM did not send the SS 1LE....
It's an old car. The PP2 is new.

If they were going to test old stuff they could crown the GT350R the best (again). Remind me - did a Camaro win PCOTY recently?

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
It's an old car. The PP2 is new.

If they were going to test old stuff they could crown the GT350R the best (again). Remind me - did a Camaro win PCOTY recently?
I dunno. Did it?

You gonna be at DCTC tomorrow?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I dunno. Did it?

You gonna be at DCTC tomorrow?
No. Is it an SCCA event, or an autocross? I would like to get there with my 944 for one of the SCCA track nights. The GT350 feels so big on that course.
Sponsored