Sponsored

Buy Back Options if Engine Replacement Needed?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I have another post regarding the engine misfires that started on my car a couple of weeks ago but wanted to start a new thread because the dealership is now requesting a new engine from Ford (not sure yet if it will be approved).

I have had the car for about 8 months and it has about 8,000 miles on it.

Long story short is that a few weeks ago I took it in for an oil change (and they found the trans fluid to be a couple quarts low and filled it) and the next week out of nowhere it barely starts and was sputtering all over the place, with the engine light on and cylinder misfire codes.

I took it in and they "re-programmed the PCM" with a "new calibration". It seemed to drive ok for a few days and then the engine trouble started again.

Back to the dealership in limp mode on Dec. 1st....today they said they have tried several things (I could not get more details) but they are requesting an engine replacement from Ford.

I barely trust these guys to change the oil, let alone replace an engine on a car only several months old. Is a buyback an option? I think in MI there is something like a 30 day "lemon" law and I would be shocked if we didn't hit that. Looking for some advice. TIA
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well.....

What do the laws in Michigan say??

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Well.....

What do the laws in Michigan say??
Good question. This isn't something that I have ever had to consider so I have a lot of reading to do.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Software to engine? That's a quick escalation...

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Good question. This isn't something that I have ever had to consider so I have a lot of reading to do.
You're nowhere near a lemon-law buy-back.

Just relax and let Ford handle it.

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
For a lemon law to take effect, they have to do everything in their power to fix the problem, an if the problem is persistent and canā€™t be fixed then you have that recourse but it varies state by state.
If something else pops up they have to be allowed to fix that also.

What you need to do is ask for copies of the ORIGINAL mechanics/techs write ups that pertain to the reasons why the engine needed replacement. They will push back but they canā€™t deny you this information.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
I have another post regarding the engine misfires that started on my car a couple of weeks ago but wanted to start a new thread because the dealership is now requesting a new engine from Ford (not sure yet if it will be approved).

I have had the car for about 8 months and it has about 8,000 miles on it.

Long story short is that a few weeks ago I took it in for an oil change (and they found the trans fluid to be a couple quarts low and filled it) and the next week out of nowhere it barely starts and was sputtering all over the place, with the engine light on and cylinder misfire codes.

I took it in and they "re-programmed the PCM" with a "new calibration". It seemed to drive ok for a few days and then the engine trouble started again.

Back to the dealership in limp mode on Dec. 1st....today they said they have tried several things (I could not get more details) but they are requesting an engine replacement from Ford.

I barely trust these guys to change the oil, let alone replace an engine on a car only several months old. Is a buyback an option? I think in MI there is something like a 30 day "lemon" law and I would be shocked if we didn't hit that. Looking for some advice. TIA
Lemon law may be a possibility if the time frame warrants it eventually, but I'd highly doubt you'll get any sort of buy back with 8 months and 8000 miles on the car.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Seems if your transmission was down that far, you'd see a leak?

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
In another thread, you referenced metal shavings in your oil separator? Engine mis-fires, low fluids, etc. Any chance your engine oil was down two quarts? Seems if your transmission was down that far, you'd see a leak?
there's been several people that stated the trans was 2 qt low from factory.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
In another thread, you referenced metal shavings in your oil separator? Engine mis-fires, low fluids, etc. Any chance your engine oil was down two quarts? Seems if your transmission was down that far, you'd see a leak. Certainly, you could have engine and trans problems. Such a new vehicle with so few miles.
That wasn't me.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It varies state by state but usually thereā€™s some car downtime element or repetitive issue (same issue keeps happening after multiple repair attempts).

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
ā˜¹ This is sad to hear. Very sorry you are having a bad experience with your new mustang.

Gonna be that guy and say stand up for yourself and force those swines to take their poor build quality car back and have them deal with it if Lemon Law allows for it in your case.

Hope this doesn't ruin your perspective of the mustang. They are typically pretty good cars, although I have to agree with most mechanics that ever since the covid shutdowns happened Ford's quality turned to šŸ’©, just look at all their recalls they have done and the 2021 and 2022 models across the lineup. Ford keeps setting aside more money per vehicle for recalls, who have they turned into? GM?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144