Kronazilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello all,

This is my first post and I was wondering if anyone can help with this issue I'm having.

Today while going to the store I noticed a burning smell on exiting the vehicle. I noticed this again when I got home. I checked under the hood and the smell was not present in that area. I did notice the smell is very strong when exiting the vehicle and you can smell it on the sides of the car. Here are some other things I've noticed since owning the vehicle, don't know if it could be related:

>Grinding sounds when shifting
>Weird noises when engaging/disengaging the clutch

I have a 2018 Musyang GT/PP2 and it has 48k on it, also it's a 6 speed manual.

Has anyone had a similar experience or could suggest what I could try looking into before taking it to the dealer?
Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Yea, that's my guess. Especially with the transmission noises

If you really wanted to confirm you could either
  1. Start your car, push in the clutch and the gas (don't hold it too long) at the same time.
  2. Go to a local transmission shop. They'll tell you right away.
Either way. if I was you I'd start shopping for replacement clutch kits.

OP
OP
Kronazilla

Kronazilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's what I was scared of. I knew buying a used manual had its risk but I went for it anyway because it's a PP2. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope it can last me long enough until I can buy a new clutch kit. I appreciate all the responses, they we're very helpful.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
That's what I was scared of. I knew buying a used manual had its risk but I went for it anyway because it's a PP2. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope it can last me long enough until I can buy a new clutch kit. I appreciate all the responses, they we're very helpful.
are you riding the clutch too much? your foot should be fully off the clutch when not shifting

OP
OP
Kronazilla

Kronazilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
are you riding the clutch too much? your foot should be fully off the clutch when not shifting
I have only been riding it when on hills and when taking off from a dead stop. Other than that my foot is off and not resting on the pedal either. The noises have been present since I got the car but the smell started today. Do you think this could've been a clutch that was already on its way out by the time I got the vehicle?

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have only been riding it when on hills and when taking off from a dead stop. Other than that my foot is off and not resting on the pedal either. The noises have been present since I got the car but the smell started today. Do you think this could've been a clutch that was already on its way out by the time I got the vehicle?
Since you said your car makes weird noises when engaging/disengaging the clutch it would appear that way.

OP
OP
Kronazilla

Kronazilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Aside from the symptoms of a worn clutch, And of course the smell, the car accelerates fine for the most part. Is there any possibility of the clutch lasting another couple weeks, hopefully months, before the problems get more severe?

If I had the money I'd order a new kit tomorrow but my dog passed away recently and that set me back for a while. I know Summit has a kit for around $800, almost as much as my monthly payment, but its gonna take a while to come up with that plus whatever the labor is going to be.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Last summer a large sheet of plastic blew under my car. Didn't notice it until I was driving around; horrible burning smell...

I pulled it off, but some of it melted to my exhaust.

The smell persisted every time I drove the car around for quite a few weeks until it burnt off completely.

Check your exhaust underneath the car

Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Aside from the symptoms of a worn clutch, And of course the smell, the car accelerates fine for the most part. Is there any possibility of the clutch lasting another couple weeks, hopefully months, before the problems get more severe?

If I had the money I'd order a new kit tomorrow but my dog passed away recently and that set me back for a while. I know Summit has a kit for around $800, almost as much as my monthly payment, but its gonna take a while to come up with that plus whatever the labor is going to be.
I thought most websites offer the no interest payments through Affirm. I've never used it but that could be an option if it comes down to it. If you were going to go to a shop to get it changed I'd start looking and scheduling an appointment now. Lots of places are a month+ out for an appointment. Since the sounds/smell hasn't changed since you got it might be alright to go another month. If the smell/noise gets worse I'd get it changed immediately though before you get some sort of catastrophic clutch failure.

Or maybe you'll get luck and you've had the same issue as BigR4444 all along.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
How long ago did you get the car? Did you buy it from a ford dealer? If so I would take it back and tell them what’s going on. It should still have power warranty. Doesn’t hurt to try?

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
How long ago did you get the car? Did you buy it from a ford dealer? If so I would take it back and tell them what’s going on. It should still have power warranty. Doesn’t hurt to try?
A is a wear item so no warranty is going to help you unless it fails right off of the lot.

But OP should try and contact the dealership he purchased it from if it's been a month or two since he's purchased the car.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
A is a wear item so no warranty is going to help you unless it fails right off of the lot.

But OP should try and contact the dealership he purchased it from if it's been a month or two since he's purchased the car.
im aware is a wear item but it shouldn’t fail this soon unless it’s previous owner didn’t know how to properly drive a manual car.

OP
OP
Kronazilla

Kronazilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update: I drove the car to work today and there was no burning smell when I got out, my commute is 20 minutes if highway/city driving. I drove with the windows down so I can identify the smell and see what the conditions were when it starts to appear, but it never did. I got out and started sniffing along the car when I got to work and nothing.

The noises of course were still present as always so I know even without the smell that I should be saving up for a new one anyway.

I got the vehicle at 46k from a ford dealer and purchased the extended warranty, but I know that a clutch is not covered. I work for a GM Dealership, sadly Ford was not hiring, and if my local ford dealer is anything like ours I wouldn't get my car back for a couple of months.

I'll drive it around during lunch and see if anything changes.
Sponsored