Sponsored

Burning Smell After Shutting Off Car

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey, all - I just picked up my Ecoboost over the weekend (currently at 150 mi) and after the first few miles I noticed a rather strong plastic-like burning smell coming from the car (around the engine specifically) every time I park it.

Has anyone experienced a similar smell after shutting their engine off?

This is my first brand new vehicle so I'm not sure if this related to the break-in period or something else. Everything seems normal according to the car's sensors.
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Absolutely normal for a new vehicle. Should subside after a few hundred miles.

Fwiw, it may return a bit after the first time or two you run it hard.

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
If it doesnt go away after about 500, check your rear diff. Mine was leaking and getting oil on the exhaust.

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks for the info guys - I'll pay attention to see if it dissipates after the break-in period.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I had that smell up to about 600 miles; it went away. You'll get a similar smell when you're hooning the car; I don't race or go very fast, but I do a LOT of controlled slides and drifts and I always smell burning after a good drift session.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
ahh i had it too.. but went after 150 miles

NVulture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium with PP MT
I had the smell for around 1000 miles and sometimes if I push her a little but before putting her to bed in the garage I can still smell it.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I do own a EcoBoost too so I thought it comes from the turbo. Over 1,600 miles on it and still when I come home and park in the garage she smells like a burned cow. Sorry! I don't push the car at all. Getting out about 28MPG so far.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
I do own a EcoBoost too so I thought it comes from the turbo. Over 1,600 miles on it and still when I come home and park in the garage she smells like a burned cow. Sorry! I don't push the car at all. Getting out about 28MPG so far.
+1

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Just in case; check out,

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-america-.html

Ford issues safety recall for certain 2015 Ford Mustang vehicles with a 2.3 liter engine in North America for elevated underbody temperatures

Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 19,500 2015 Ford Mustang vehicles with a 2.3 liter engine (actual 19,486) for elevated underbody temperatures in North America. Prolonged exposure to elevated underbody temperatures might cause degradation of the fuel tank and fuel vapor lines, which could eventually result in a fuel leak. In addition, prolonged exposure to elevated underbody temperatures might cause the parking brake cable seals to degrade, potentially affecting parking brake functions. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire. Impaired parking brake function could result in unexpected vehicle movement, which might increase the risk of injury.
Ford is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires resulting from this condition.

Affected vehicles include certain 2015 Ford Mustang vehicles built Feb. 14, 2014 to Feb. 10, 2015 at Flat Rock Assembly Plant.

There are 19,095 vehicles in the United States and federalized territories, and 391 in Canada.

Dealers will replace the current fuel tank shield with a shield with better insulating capability, install thermal patches on the fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on the fuel vapor lines.

Sponsored

XDMan

El Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium With 50th Anniversary Pack
Is it the normal new car smell of the undercoating when it heats-up? If so, it goes away pretty quickly.

559s550

IG: 559s550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt 6spd Manual
Completely normal. Some of these parts still have stickers on them or other plastic objects around them. Give it a few and it'll go away. *aslong as it's a burn plastic type smell.
Sponsored