Strong burning smell

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
Bought a new 2021 GT/CS 10-speed with 7 miles on it at the dealership. Went the first 625 miles keeping it under 2500 rpm 99% of the time, never went over 3500 rpm. Mixed city and highway and mixed wet, normal, and sport+ settings varying speed here and there. Got my oil changed yesterday at 625 miles at a dealership and they said everything looked great. Today, drove a little more spirited just four or five times for about 5-20 seconds each time throughout the day. Never went over 6k rpms and did some slight pulls but nothing crazy. Did not manual shift. After two of those pulls I smelled a very strong burning smell. Each time the smell didnā€™t dissipate until 5-10 minutes after parking the car. Is this normal? I had a car once that stunk for the first 5-10k due to the shit they put on the engine to keep it stored before assembly and purchase. But this is different, very intense. While I was breaking it in the first 625 miles I never once smelled anything at all and I had the engine heated up for extended periods during that break in, including 80 mph on highway under 2500 rpm. No smell but for today when doing slight pulls.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is your cats are burning off crap from babying it for 600 miles.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Get out and drive it !

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Make sure you don't have some strange Exhaust leak,that could potentially put you at risk of getting sick .definitely get it checked out.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
True that ! Especially with winter coming.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Don't know if you've given it a once-over, and maybe this is a non-issue since they've had it on a lift for the oil change, but when I bought my 2002 Altima, I went looking for a strange smell and lifted the hood to find several small build-sheets still taped to various places in the engine compartment. The tape on one of them was melted.

I don't know how this gets past a PDI, but I can say from experience that it's no surprise considering the dealership experiences that followed.

Put in on some ramps and get under it to look for things that the monkeys with plastic bats may have missed.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
when I bought my 2002 Altima, I went looking for a strange smell and lifted the hood to find several small build-sheets still taped to various places in the engine compartment. The tape on one of them was melted.
That's terrible, how the heck did all that get left there? I came from Nissan as well prior, (05 Altima SE-R 6spd manual) and Nissans have their own miseries, but this was new lol. Glad that fix was easy to find, though.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Bought a new 2021 GT/CS 10-speed with 7 miles on it at the dealership. Went the first 625 miles keeping it under 2500 rpm 99% of the time, never went over 3500 rpm. Mixed city and highway and mixed wet, normal, and sport+ settings varying speed here and there. Got my oil changed yesterday at 625 miles at a dealership and they said everything looked great. Today, drove a little more spirited just four or five times for about 5-20 seconds each time throughout the day. Never went over 6k rpms and did some slight pulls but nothing crazy. Did not manual shift. After two of those pulls I smelled a very strong burning smell. Each time the smell didnā€™t dissipate until 5-10 minutes after parking the car. Is this normal? I had a car once that stunk for the first 5-10k due to the shit they put on the engine to keep it stored before assembly and purchase. But this is different, very intense. While I was breaking it in the first 625 miles I never once smelled anything at all and I had the engine heated up for extended periods during that break in, including 80 mph on highway under 2500 rpm. No smell but for today when doing slight pulls.
What kind of smell was it?
If it smells like oil, did the dealer spill some during the oil change and not clean it up? Hopefully your oil filter is on tight, as well - some stories of filters coming loose and spraying oil out. If it gets on the catalytic converters, that can be bad.

Also, common is driving along and picking up plastic bags or sheets on the road, and it melts on the catalytic converters, causing a real bad smell. Check for that as well.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Go back to the dealer that changed the oil and have them check if either the oil filter is leaking or when the old filter was removed the tech spilled oil on the area under the filter.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
šŸ˜„ Ford assy plants are notorious for leaving small parts here and there during the build process. Some don't even belong to the vehicle being built. My ST Explorer had several small trim pieces that belonged to a different model left in the second row door pockets. There was a V clip loose inside the trunk lid of the Mustang. One would hear it skittle around when moving the lid. It finally fell out of one of the holes and landed on the carpet. I still have a souvenir trim tool from the Corvette assy plant that was under the seat in one of my Corvettes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
any chance they spilled some oil during oil change and it found its way on the exhaust and burning off?

OP
OP
mpelon

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
Thanks all for the input. Iā€™m driving it like the ā€˜break inā€™ is done now so weā€™ll see if it pops back up. Only happened twice so far that first day after the oil change. And that was hours apart on two different drives during a pull. I do notice a faint smell now when I go by the exhaust tips. Think it just needs to be driven like a Mustang should be and letā€™s see! I watched the techs pretty closely and did think I saw one drop of oil during the fill but wasnā€™t sure, couldnā€™t see it afterwards when I looked down in. I did see one of the techs was pretty good about grabbing a clean rag to place under the funnel when he removed it. But driving it heated up afterwards didnā€™t make a smell. It was only immediately after two of the pulls, but not all the pulls. Thatā€™s what confused me. As far as other objects? Well I really havenā€™t noticed anything but there is a hell of a lot of tags on every single component on this car. I get why they do that now but could it be one of those I canā€™t see that may be getting burned? But why would I smell it real hard only that two times after pulls? Idk.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The other variable is your fuel. Even the so called certified fuels can have issues. Especially at the indi stations. There have been known issues with the delivery of an incorrect grade going into the wrong tank.

Deleted member 35644

Thanks all for the input. Iā€™m driving it like the ā€˜break inā€™ is done now so weā€™ll see if it pops back up. Only happened twice so far that first day after the oil change. And that was hours apart on two different drives during a pull. I do notice a faint smell now when I go by the exhaust tips. Think it just needs to be driven like a Mustang should be and letā€™s see! I watched the techs pretty closely and did think I saw one drop of oil during the fill but wasnā€™t sure, couldnā€™t see it afterwards when I looked down in. I did see one of the techs was pretty good about grabbing a clean rag to place under the funnel when he removed it. But driving it heated up afterwards didnā€™t make a smell. It was only immediately after two of the pulls, but not all the pulls. Thatā€™s what confused me. As far as other objects? Well I really havenā€™t noticed anything but there is a hell of a lot of tags on every single component on this car. I get why they do that now but could it be one of those I canā€™t see that may be getting burned? But why would I smell it real hard only that two times after pulls? Idk.
Most things have a 'residue', 'coating', etc. on them when stuff is assembled. Since you're only smelling it after hard pulls, that suggests to me that something is burning off the inside, or the outside of your exhaust system. I'm betting it subsides soon, but if not, take it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Higher oil pressure at high rpms. Check the oil level when cold and look under the car in the area of the filter and drain plug
Sponsored