Bullitt single horn - FIXED!

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Cool, I’m considering getting this changed myself.
I was a little shocked when I first tried the horn and it sounded like it was from a 1950s Volkswagen.
Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
My horns are in to my local dealer. Getting ceramic coating and horns install on Tuesday.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Horns in and sound good! Ceramic coating applied!

Mission complete!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Hi Guys,

New to this forum. I just got my '19 Bullitt back from the dealer for a 'weak horn' replacement and, of course, the horn is no better! I don't think the dealer knew about this issue else he would have told me 'they all do that,' but it was a pain to be without the car for most of the day. It looks like DIY is the way to go, but I've looked and can't see how it would be easy to remove the CAB; Shipey, can you give some idea how the dealer got the air box out? Did he have to disconnect at the throttle body, or is there an easier way? If you don't know, no problem, I have access to a grease pit and it looks like going in from the underneath may be easiest for a ham-fisted mechanic like me.

I traded my '08 Bullitt in on this car. It had a two-note horn assembly, but blew one of them at about 120K miles. That was a bit of a bother to replace, the assembly was in front of the A/C heat exchanger and I had to loosen the top radiator bolts and pull the rad back a bit to get to it (bunged-up the exchanger a bit).

Side note: We're pretty much a 'Ford Family.' My dad was a factory rep for Ford for a couple years out of the old Milpitas, CA assembly plant. Dad died last July and I inherited his '55 T-Bird and '65 Mustang convertible. My first car was a '66 Mustang I bought from my folks for $500 over 40 years ago (long gone). But, my all-time favorite cars are Austin-Healeys (I have two, a '56 and a '67).

Bob

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I don't understand why you guys got stiffed....our Bullitts have the dual horn setup from the factory.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Side note: We're pretty much a 'Ford Family.' My dad was a factory rep for Ford for a couple years out of the old Milpitas, CA assembly plant. Dad died last July and I inherited his '55 T-Bird and '65 Mustang convertible. My first car was a '66 Mustang I bought from my folks for $500 over 40 years ago (long gone). But, my all-time favorite cars are Austin-Healeys (I have two, a '56 and a '68).

Bob
Another Healey owner here; '67 Mk III and a (sort of a Healey) '59 Bug Eye Sprite with a Mazda Rotary transplanted from a RX-7. I had a '56 100-4, but it got away from me in a moment of rage with the Prince of Darkness, Joseph Lucas.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I don't understand why you guys got stiffed....our Bullitts have the dual horn setup from the factory.
Ha! Usually, it's the other way around ;) I heard the European Bullitts are down a few HP; something about exhaust modifications to accommodate right-hand drive.

What's your car's serial number? Mine is K2937. Since the dual horns appear to have been in used in earlier cars--up to 2018--it's possible Ford used the older stock until it was gone, and later cars got stiffed (the Brits were known for doing this on their Healeys and other cars). At least one of the aftermarket suppliers is showing the dual horn part as discontinued.

Last edited:

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
... I had a '56 100-4, but it got away from me in a moment of rage with the Prince of Darkness, Joseph Lucas.
Did it self-immolate, or did you push it off a cliff? The 100s are getting more valuable these days.

OP
OP
Shipey

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Hi Guys,

New to this forum. I just got my '19 Bullitt back from the dealer for a 'weak horn' replacement and, of course, the horn is no better! I don't think the dealer knew about this issue else he would have told me 'they all do that,' but it was a pain to be without the car for most of the day. It looks like DIY is the way to go, but I've looked and can't see how it would be easy to remove the CAB; Shipey, can you give some idea how the dealer got the air box out? Did he have to disconnect at the throttle body, or is there an easier way? If you don't know, no problem, I have access to a grease pit and it looks like going in from the underneath may be easiest for a ham-fisted mechanic like me.

I traded my '08 Bullitt in on this car. It had a two-note horn assembly, but blew one of them at about 120K miles. That was a bit of a bother to replace, the assembly was in front of the A/C heat exchanger and I had to loosen the top radiator bolts and pull the rad back a bit to get to it (bunged-up the exchanger a bit).

Side note: We're pretty much a 'Ford Family.' My dad was a factory rep for Ford for a couple years out of the old Milpitas, CA assembly plant. Dad died last July and I inherited his '55 T-Bird and '65 Mustang convertible. My first car was a '66 Mustang I bought from my folks for $500 over 40 years ago (long gone). But, my all-time favorite cars are Austin-Healeys (I have two, a '56 and a '68).

Bob
Hi Bob,

Since your horn is no better, my assumption is that the dual horn setup was not installed, or the jumper wire from the first horn was not plugged into the second horn, or they installed two "hi" note horns or two "low" note horns instead of a "hi"/"low" pair. As stated in earlier threads, this is a very easy fix. My dealer had it done in less than a half an hour. I waited in the customer lounge, but he told me that he only had to remove the air box to gain access. I cannot give you direction for disassembly, but do not think it is difficult.

My dealer's tech guy left the original bracket in place, bolted one of the new horns to the empty bracket, installed the jumper, and it was done.

It's nice to hear about the T-bird and the '65 Mustang, too. I never owned a Healey, but was always a fan. Especially the 3000.

Dave (aka Shipey)

Sponsored

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Did it self-immolate, or did you push it off a cliff? The 100s are getting more valuable these days.
It ended up at the top of pine tree as the headlights went tits-up at the wrong time, on the wrong road, on the wrong moonless night.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Ha! Usually, it's the other way around ;) I heard the European Bullitts are down a few HP; something about exhaust modifications to accommodate right-hand drive.

What's your car's serial number? Mine is K2937. Since the dual horns appear to have been in used in earlier cars--up to 2018--it's possible Ford used the older stock until it was gone, and later cars got stiffed (the Brits were known for doing this on their Healeys and other cars). At least one of the aftermarket suppliers is showing the dual horn part as discontinued.
Mine was built late August.

Yeah we're a little down on hp to you guys. No brace, no BLIS, no Cross Traffic Alert, no heated steering wheel, no memory seats, but our Recaros have power and Magneride is standard.

OP
OP
Shipey

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Hi Bob,

Since your horn is no better, my assumption is that the dual horn setup was not installed, or the jumper wire from the first horn was not plugged into the second horn, or they installed two "hi" note horns or two "low" note horns instead of a "hi"/"low" pair. As stated in earlier threads, this is a very easy fix. My dealer had it done in less than a half an hour. I waited in the customer lounge, but he told me that he only had to remove the air box to gain access. I cannot give you direction for disassembly, but do not think it is difficult.

My dealer's tech guy left the original bracket in place, bolted one of the new horns to the empty bracket, installed the jumper, and it was done.

It's nice to hear about the T-bird and the '65 Mustang, too. I never owned a Healey, but was always a fan. Especially the 3000.

Dave (aka Shipey)
Bob,
As previously posted by Aileron (thanks!) this is now the setup on my 2019 Bullitt.

[

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Bob,
As previously posted by Aileron (thanks!) this is now the setup on my 2019 Bullitt.
[
Got one on order! If anybody knows how to do the 'remove airbox' route please chime in; it looks like it might be easier to go in from underneath.
Sponsored