Sponsored

Brembo caliper pins seized

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
After watching several videos online about changing the rotors and pads on the 6 piston Brembos, I figured I was in for an easy job. Remove wheel, punch out the 2 pins, undo 3 easily accessible bolts and off come the calipers, pads and rotors.

However I seem to be stuck on the very first (and seemingly the easiest) step. When I tried to punch out the top pin with a punch, it would not budge no matter how hard I hit it. All the videos I've seen everyone just barely taps the punch and the pin easily moves.

I also sprayed the shit out of these with WD40 and deep creep and nothing, no amount of force would even budge those things. I hit it so hard the tip of the pin started to mushroom.

Has anyone ever seen this and dealt with it? I do drive the car in the winter and have done a dozen or so track days so the calipers did get hot but I never seen or heard anyone else having this problem. Everyone swaps out their pads at the track in a matter of minutes after a long day of tracking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I would use big c clamp with a socket on top of side that come out ( for clearance)
Otherwise you are going to have to remove the calipers and do the same job with a press

OP
OP
EFI

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Maybe the pin has rusted to the anti-rattle clip; did you spray WD40 here or just where the pin seats in the caliper?
That was it, thanks for the suggestion. I only sprayed the front and rear of the clips where they go through the caliper. Spraying brake cleaner on the entire clip and then soaking it in WD40 loosened it enough where I was able to drive it through. At least pins are cheap.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to recommend that but I didnā€™t think that would provide enough ā€œholdā€ to keep them that stuck. Go to know for future brake jobs though

Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Maybe the pin has rusted to the anti-rattle clip; did you spray WD40 here or just where the pin seats in the caliper?
I usually out some caliper lubricant at this contact point. Might prevent it sticking next time.
Also, try to service your brakes at least annually, especially if winter driven.
Sponsored