Brand new 2020 GT is drinking oil

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Also forgot to mention I switched from Ford synthetic blend 5w20 at first oil change to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic. Also when my typewriter tick started haha I swear I love this car!
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
First off 2.5 litres of oil with 6k miles is not excessive in Ford's eyes. I believe Ford considers 1 litre every 1k miles as excessive. My 2020 Must GT IN 3K miles has burned through 2 litres, although it looked like it wasn't full upon delivery. It seems the consumption has startedto diminish. These are high rpm powerplants and they will use oil.

vdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6mt
I was consuming 1 QT per 2000 miles when I bought my car. At 10k miles, consumption was 1 QT per 1000 miles. My dealership said it was normal. By this time the engine was knocking loudly which they considered normal as well.

At 15k miles I was consuming 1 QT per 700 miles. Ford finally did something, they replaced the shortblock. Cylinder 8 had scoring and a piston ring had failed. What's interesting is that my oil consumption after the replacement is still an abysmal 1 QT per 1000 miles even after 20k on the new motor. Ford again says it's normal.

I had an E92 M3 and a E60 M5 that had high revving engines that didn't consume even a fraction of what my GT does.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was consuming 1 QT per 2000 miles when I bought my car. At 10k miles, consumption was 1 QT per 1000 miles. My dealership said it was normal. By this time the engine was knocking loudly which they considered normal as well.

At 15k miles I was consuming 1 QT per 700 miles. Ford finally did something, they replaced the shortblock. Cylinder 8 had scoring and a piston ring had failed. What's interesting is that my oil consumption after the replacement is still an abysmal 1 QT per 1000 miles even after 20k on the new motor. Ford again says it's normal.

I had an E92 M3 and a E60 M5 that had high revving engines that didn't consume even a fraction of what my GT does.
My E92 M3 burned about 1 litre every 2k miles. What was funny its when I was putzing around that I burned oil. Driving aggressively I didn't have this issue. It was all about the ring package the manufacturer chose. Sorry to hear about your Stang. The issue is that your consumption went up at 10k miles not down..that was the warning sign.

dave

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
So I went and ran the car and heated it up. Didn’t really push it just some light back roads driving. When I remove the oil fill cap smoke is rolling out looks like a lit cigar.
That sounds normal unless there's very obvious smoke bellowing out. No way in hell should it be burning that much oil. I bought a brand new GT in January, 9.5K miles on it, and 1 oil change so far; doesn't even get low.

Sponsored

evan721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Mine uses about a quart every 2500 miles (currently at 6000). From what I've read on various forums, that is normal. Until I hear or smell something abnormal, or if consumption dramatically increases, I'm not going to worry about it.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine uses about a quart every 2500 miles (currently at 6000). From what I've read on various forums, that is normal. Until I hear or smell something abnormal, or if consumption dramatically increases, I'm not going to worry about it.

From my understanding Ford doesn't consider it excessive until you hit 1 litre every 750 miles. Very similar what BMW did with the S65 engine in the E92 M3.

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Mathew,

My dad bought a new 4 cyl Volvo in '78 that always burned a quart per thousand miles, like clockwork. That's a much higher consumption rate than yours considering it was half the engine. It always ran great, no plug fouling or other related oil burn issues. Couldn't see a thing in the exhaust. I agree with Eric that what you have is unusual, but from my experience, not without precedent. But I must confess that I don't know if that might cause long term problems with modern pollution equipment (O2 sensors or cat converter).

I see you're in Houston. Pretty hot. My 2019 Mustang manual indicates 5W-20 (normal) or 0W-20 (cold climate) or 5W-30 (track). Generally, the lower the viscosity, the more likely it is to burn. The Amsoil wasn't 0W-20 was it?

You changed oil at 2000 miles. Did it burn any in that first 2000? If it were me, I would change the oil back to Motorcraft 5W-20 (if that applies to 2020) and see if the consumption slows or stops. There's a long shot that the Amsoil could have been a bad batch (e.g., improperly labeled). There's a higher probability that a mechanic liked your nice oil and pulled a switch on you. If you're not comfortable changing the oil yourself, have a friend help you out or maybe contact a local Mustang club. Sad, but for something simple like an oil change, your car is safer in the hands of a experienced friend than in those of a dealer. Just last week my Nephew had his drain plug hole tapped for an oversized plug in his F-250. The dealer had stripped it, not quite completely, during the prior oil change and sent him on his way.

Some usual culprits for oil burning are PCV malfunction (usually blocked which should not be your case) causing increased crankcase pressure and blow by past the rings; rings not seating (a possibility for your new engine); worn or damaged rings (shouldn't be you); bad valve stem seals (worn, bad material, improperly installed - this typically shows as a puff of blue at cold start-up - have a friend watch your exhaust - but probably not your issue).

If I were guessing, I would first suspect ring seating, then an issue with your oil. A oil change is easy. For good measure, I would use a stock Motorcraft oil and filter (aftermarket filter can have lower flow rate capability and incorrect relief pressure value).

Dave

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
#DoYourOwnOilChanges #Don'tTrustDealers
The problem with DIY is there's no record. Find a shop inhabited by car guys with ASE certifications.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
From my understanding Ford doesn't consider it excessive until you hit 1 litre every 750 miles. Very similar what BMW did with the S65 engine in the E92 M3.
Apparently they used to take it more seriously, but I guess they got tired of replacing short blocks.

The problem with DIY is there's no record. Find a shop inhabited by car guys with ASE certifications.
Yep, so much this. Apparently even if you provide receipts of buying the oil and filter, that's not sufficient proof that the oil was changed, and I've heard of a few cases of the manufacturer denying a warranty replacement over it.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently they used to take it more seriously, but I guess they got tired of replacing short blocks.

Yep, so much this. Apparently even if you provide receipts of buying the oil and filter, that's not sufficient proof that the oil was changed, and I've heard of a few cases of the manufacturer denying a warranty replacement over it.

Even BMW and Porsche with their cars give a 750-1000 mile per litre of oil as acceptable.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You can use the fordpass app to document any self service. It even lets you upload and attach photos to the maintenance log for receipts and what not.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Generally, the lower the viscosity, the more likely it is to burn. The Amsoil wasn't 0W-20 was it?
You did say generally, but this isn't necessarily always true anymore. The shift to low tension piston rings has seen to that. Low tension piston rings can actually struggle to scrape off all of the oil film of the more viscous oils (or any oil, for that matter, before it reaches operating temp). I'd take a gander and say this may be why the gt350's burn so much oil. The low tension rings may not be able to scrape off all of the oil from the viscous 5w50 when it's at regular operating temp from around town driving.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's only relevant if you plan on selling the car later on, and even still, not needed. With how frequently I change my oil due to tracking the car, I'd be spending too much money paying someone else to do it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Even BMW and Porsche with their cars give a 750-1000 mile per litre of oil as acceptable.
Unfortunate, honestly. The jury is still out on if my car will be a problem or not. I can smell burning oil from the tailpipes if I get on it hard sometimes. Consumption doesn't seem too bad though. 1 quart in 2000 or so.
Sponsored