Brand new 2020 GT is drinking oil

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I had my oil changed in my 2020 GT at 2000 miles on the dot with Amsoil Signature. Now at 6000 miles it has burned about 2.5 quarts. The dealer is saying its normal.. and we have to wait till 10,000 miles to do an oil consumption test. Anyone run into this before?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
No first hand experience here but by no means should the engine consume 2.5 qts in 4000 miles, especially in a brand new car.

Do you smell burning oil ever while driving? Is there black/gray smoke coming from the exhaust? Have you noticed any pooling oil on the ground?

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
No first hand experience here but by no means should the engine consume 2.5 qts in 4000 miles, especially in a brand new car.

Do you smell burning oil ever while driving? Is there black/gray smoke coming from the exhaust? Have you noticed any pooling oil on the ground?
Its not leaking it I have checked all the usual spots and the concrete where it's always parked is pristine. Its Houston so been driving windows up AC on hauling ass but I can't say i have noticed any strange smells. Exhaust seems normal also.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Its not leaking it I have checked all the usual spots and the concrete where it's always parked is pristine. Its Houston so been driving windows up AC on hauling ass but I can't say i have noticed any strange smells. Exhaust seems normal also.
Interesting. Well the oil has to go somewhere; if it's not leaking then its being burned. It's possible a brand new engine burns more oil than it would after it's fully broken in but 2.5 qts seems excessive.
Are you letting the car fully warm up before "hauling ass"? If you floor it when the engine is still cold, you will get more oil blow-by that way.

Ok brainstorming here...maybe a PCV line is not working properly? So you are building extra crank case pressure and therefore creating excess blow-by

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Interesting. Well the oil has to go somewhere; if it's not leaking then its being burned. It's possible a brand new engine burns more oil than it would after it's fully broken in but 2.5 qts seems excessive.
Are you letting the car fully warm up before "hauling ass"? If you floor it when the engine is still cold, you will get more oil blow-by that way.

Ok brainstorming here...maybe a PCV line is not working properly? So you are building extra crank case pressure and therefore creating excess blow-by

Yes I am very conscious of those things. I always watch the oil pressure to make sure the oil is fully up to temp before I get on it. Most of my miles are country miles with decent length 20+ minute trips. I agree it's definitely burning it I am probably just not smelling it. The dealer is saying we can start an oil consumption test at 10,000 miles.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, did you check the oil level after it was changed? Maybe they put in 8 qts per the specs for the older generation coyote?
#DoYourOwnOilChanges #Don'tTrustDealers

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Just curious, did you check the oil level after it was changed? Maybe they put in 8 qts per the specs for the older generation coyote?
Yes I did. I brought them 10 quarts of oil and checked it after I got home. Had them do it because I needed the backup camera replaced as it was defective.

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yes I did. I brought them 10 quarts of oil and checked it after I got home. Had them do it because I needed the backup camera replaced as it was defective.
Well than that wasn't the issue!

On the camera, my daughter just bought a 2020 and had the same issue with the backup camera. Must be a bad batch. Though I will be having her keep an eye on the oil level after seeing this. Thanks for the heads up.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Give it more time/mileage.

My '19 F-150 with the 5.0 would eat a quart of oil about every 1,000 miles to start with (it's a thing with the trucks to a degree also). It began to slow somewhere around 6,000-7,000 miles and how nearing 9,000 it doesn't seem to burn any at all. I always break in engines aggressively and have never had an oil burner, but this one had me a little concerned even though warranty would have come into play if it never improved.

Deleted member 35644

I wonder how they handle situations where they sell one of these things to a non-maintenance-fanatic, and that person calls them 6,000 miles later to let them know the engine quit and the car is on the side of the road. Your car could've EASILY burned through most of the 10 quarts before you were due for your next oil change. What if you weren't babysitting it? Would Ford assign you responsibility for neglect? Ford garnered itself a bad consumer reputation starting in 2012 when the Focus brought the double-whammy of DCT and Sync issues. Doesn't seem like they're trying very hard to pull themselves out of the hole. Hope you get this resolved. Sounds like a short block replacement to me.

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I wonder how they handle situations where they sell one of these things to a non-maintenance-fanatic, and that person calls them 6,000 miles later to let them know the engine quit and the car is on the side of the road. Your car could've EASILY burned through most of the 10 quarts before you were due for your next oil change. What if you weren't babysitting it? Would Ford assign you responsibility for neglect? Ford garnered itself a bad consumer reputation starting in 2012 when the Focus brought the double-whammy of DCT and Sync issues. Doesn't seem like they're trying very hard to pull themselves out of the hole. Hope you get this resolved. Sounds like a short block replacement to me.

Indeed. I am pretty conservative on my oil changes but I am glad I checked it. I was low on washer fluid and decided i should check the oil while I was under there. It shows 59% left on oil life left. If someone ran it another 5000 miles before the OLM went off I could see it being 5-6 quarts low.

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I agree, I only do my own oil changes and almost everything else not warranty related. But not everyone is set up to do that or wants to, so you have to double check their work!
So I went and ran the car and heated it up. Didn’t really push it just some light back roads driving. When I remove the oil fill cap smoke is rolling out looks like a lit cigar.
Sponsored