Brand new 2020 GT is drinking oil

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Mine drank oil until about 10k miles. Hasn’t drank any since. Rock solid on the dipstick. The cylinder wall coatings are very hard and take time to break in. I personally think this is why they went to a 10 quart pan. 8-2.5 is 5.5. Getting into danger zone with spirited driving.
If the cylinders are Nikasil type coated the cylinders do not wear. Nikasil type coatings are only about 100 um thick and as you stated very hard. The rings will wear to the cylinders.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
You can use the fordpass app to document any self service. It even lets you upload and attach photos to the maintenance log for receipts and what not.
Unfortunately, all the electronic or paper documents you show, an oil-related failure will get rejected. "We have no record of any oil/filter changes ..."

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Unfortunately, all the electronic or paper documents you show, an oil-related failure will get rejected. "We have no record of any oil/filter changes ..."
Write the date and mileage on the oil filter then take a picture once you have installed it. Keep the picture and you are golden.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
There was a TSB for the 18-20 F-150 with the 5.0 about oil consumption; Ford eventually determined that it was excessive intake manifold vacuum on decel that was pulling oil past the rings and into the chambers; the fix was a new calibration.

No such TSB has been issued for the Mustang to the best of my knowledge.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There was a TSB for the 18-20 F-150 with the 5.0 about oil consumption; Ford eventually determined that it was excessive intake manifold vacuum on decel that was pulling oil past the rings and into the chambers; the fix was a new calibration.

The TSB also says to change the PCV valve before anything else also.

Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My 2017 GT burned oil until about 8-10K miles. About a 1/2-3/4 quart every 1000 miles. Interestingly enough I also used Amsoil 5-20w on my first oil change. After that I went back to the Motorcraft semi-synthetic and oil consumption slowed down. Now with 26K miles it doesn't burn any at all. I currently have 5-30w Royal Purple in it and just did my first Ceratec treatment to quiet the ticking...which worked. I think it is a break in issue. Give it time and keep Ford in the loop.

Kind of disappointing in that my 2012 V6 Mustang that I also bought new, never burned a drop of oil in 50K miles. But then, it wasn't as much fun.

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1

They also put a longer dip stick in that moves the low mark down, and overfill the crank case with oil :)

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Scott,

So my recommendation to Matthew to first try going back to stock Motorcraft oil worked at least partially for you. The reason I made that recommendation was personal experience. The long and short of that experience is the lesson that each engine is unique and will react differently to different oils, both by brand and viscosity. Usually the reaction is not enough to notice.

Dave

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Scott,

So my recommendation to Matthew to first try going back to stock Motorcraft oil worked at least partially for you. The reason I made that recommendation was personal experience. The long and short of that experience is the lesson that each engine is unique and will react differently to different oils, both by brand and viscosity. Usually the reaction is not enough to notice.

Dave

I did have it changed and put the synthetic blend motor craft oil in it. This oil has never been in the car before though so we will see how it does.

Matt

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Matt,

Hope that works for you. If not, blame me. I can take it.

Dave

Sponsored

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
I see that you have recently sold your car. Did the oil consumption go away, or was still a factor in choosing to sell your car?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I add about 1-2 qts per 3000 miles, car has been great for 45k miles and whippled at 770rwhp now too. I am not surprised by consumption I hit 8k rpm every day like 20 times a day.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
My 2019 Bullitt is consuming about 2.5 quarts ish in 6k-ish miles. I have 25k on the car

I switched to 5w30, and am keeping a watchful eye on it/logging it. Cold checks, consistency, and records. To make sure it doesnt get worse, lol

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I just got approved for a short block replacement. 2020 gt 6spd bought new was consuming about 1qt of oil every 1200 miles. I had the dealership start an oil consumption test and they submitted it to Ford. 2nd step was approved to perform manual compression tests on all cylinders and check for oil leakage. Spark plugs were found with oil exposure, excessive oil leakage in cylinders, and pretty bad scoring in some of the cylinders... FYI I have the "tick" but I have no idea if it is related to the findings. I was really hoping Ford would just give the okay for a new long block, but they are only allowing a new short block, and new gaskets.
Overall this sucks, but I'm glad the process went the way it did and hopefully I can have a properly running engine soon since my car only has 13k miles on it.

My dealer service rep sent me pictures of the findings and they were pretty shocking :(

I'm low key hoping the short block inventory is backed up and I'll just get a long block to speed up the wait.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just got approved for a short block replacement. 2020 gt 6spd bought new was consuming about 1qt of oil every 1200 miles. I had the dealership start an oil consumption test and they submitted it to Ford. 2nd step was approved to perform manual compression tests on all cylinders and check for oil leakage. Spark plugs were found with oil exposure, excessive oil leakage in cylinders, and pretty bad scoring in some of the cylinders... FYI I have the "tick" but I have no idea if it is related to the findings. I was really hoping Ford would just give the okay for a new long block, but they are only allowing a new short block, and new gaskets.
Overall this sucks, but I'm glad the process went the way it did and hopefully I can have a properly running engine soon since my car only has 13k miles on it.

My dealer service rep sent me pictures of the findings and they were pretty shocking :(

I'm low key hoping the short block inventory is backed up and I'll just get a long block to speed up the wait.

From experience, that won't happen. I had to wait for the backorder. I only got a longblock AFTER the short block arrived, the heads were removed, and damage found in the heads.
Sponsored