Sponsored

Brand new 2020 GT is drinking oil

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
How long did you have to wait for the backorder? How's your engine running now after the swap?
Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
From experience, that won't happen. I had to wait for the backorder. I only got a longblock AFTER the short block arrived, the heads were removed, and damage found in the heads.
Are you using 5w20 or 5w30 on your new engine?
I'm wondering if my dealership can use 5w30 full synthetic from first fill since that's what I'm planning to keep using anyways... or should I stick with the 5w20?

Would that even make a difference or provide better protection? I have bad scoring and oil leakage in my cylinders which warranted the new short block.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When I remove the oil fill cap smoke is rolling out looks like a lit cigar.
That is blow by, your rings didn't seal. Did you break it in easy?
I dealt with plasma coated cylinders in the motor cycle world and the only way to get a good ring seal is to run them to redline and let coast to idle several times within the first 150 miles or no go..

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Are you using 5w20 or 5w30 on your new engine?
I'm wondering if my dealership can use 5w30 full synthetic from first fill since that's what I'm planning to keep using anyways... or should I stick with the 5w20?

Would that even make a difference or provide better protection? I have bad scoring and oil leakage in my cylinders which warranted the new short block.
Depends on how it's driven. All things being equal, 5w30 (to that extent 0w40 more so) will provide better protection because it has a higher HTHS and will also have a better cushion to fuel dilution. However, if it's just babied around, 5w20 won't really cause any issues.

I use 5w30. It's fact that 5w20s existence is due to CAFE and newer Mustang GTs spec 5w30 so, why not? But as per your problem, no oil would have prevented that. A manufacturer defect can't be saved by using a different viscosity or brand of oil. There's too many people running every flavor of oil out there, in these cars, without issue. It's just some of us drew the short end of the stick.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I just got approved for a short block replacement. 2020 gt 6spd bought new was consuming about 1qt of oil every 1200 miles. I had the dealership start an oil consumption test and they submitted it to Ford. 2nd step was approved to perform manual compression tests on all cylinders and check for oil leakage. Spark plugs were found with oil exposure, excessive oil leakage in cylinders, and pretty bad scoring in some of the cylinders... FYI I have the "tick" but I have no idea if it is related to the findings. I was really hoping Ford would just give the okay for a new long block, but they are only allowing a new short block, and new gaskets.
Overall this sucks, but I'm glad the process went the way it did and hopefully I can have a properly running engine soon since my car only has 13k miles on it.

My dealer service rep sent me pictures of the findings and they were pretty shocking :(

I'm low key hoping the short block inventory is backed up and I'll just get a long block to speed up the wait.

Which dealer in Los Angeles?

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Does anyone know if a brand new oil pain is standard with a short block replacement?
There's no way they'll be re-using the oil pan that most likely has tons of metal in it from the scored cylinders right..?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
southbay ford

Thats where I go. They replaced an engine on my 2015 Ford Focus...that was 6 yrs ago and 75k miles and she purrs like a kitten. You should be in good hands. Who is your advisor?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Thats where I go. They replaced an engine on my 2015 Ford Focus...that was 6 yrs ago and 75k miles and she purrs like a kitten. You should be in good hands. Who is your advisor?
My advisor is Steve Lopez, he's been pretty helpful but one day he'll be genuinely helpful and then the next it's like pulling teeth to get information from him. I'm trying to be understanding because I'm sure he has long days like all of us. But the proof is in the pudding, I just want the new engine to be done properly in a timely manner, and hopefully after it will purrr like yours without losing quarts of oil.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My advisor is Steve Lopez, he's been pretty helpful but one day he'll be genuinely helpful and then the next it's like pulling teeth to get information from him. I'm trying to be understanding because I'm sure he has long days like all of us. But the proof is in the pudding, I just want the new engine to be done properly in a timely manner, and hopefully after it will purrr like yours without losing quarts of oil.

My rep is Eduardo...good guy.

Sponsored

OliverUk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt 2020 pp1
My car is 2020 GT pp1
I always drive a car violently and drive it at speeds exceeding 200 km/h, does this affect the oil drop?
Car is 10.000 km only
Sponsored