Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking into getting a dedicated set of rotors for the track to go along with dedicated track pads. I'm curious what other people use for HPDE/track use and their experiences, whether good or bad.

I've compiled a list (not all the options but the more common ones) of possible options, their respective prices, and what website I found the info on. The prices are all for the pair, not single rotors. Additionally, the fronts are all for the 15" PP-size rotors.

upload_2020-3-9_8-8-36.png

Now we all know the Steeda, Girodisc, and AP Racing ones are amazing. Not arguing that. But for someone like me who is nowhere near the limit of the car and simply getting practice in HPDE, I see no use for the crazy 2pc rotors. I'm looking for cheap (but still durable/reliable) that will last me a decent amount of time. I know Terry Fair used Centric blanks on his 2018 test car before upgrading the entire calipers.

3/9/20 - Updated list
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I have been tracking this car for a few years now with Centric C-teks. Can get all 4 rotors for about $200 on rockauto. Best bang for the buck imo.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I use the Steeda two piece and like you said they are awesome.... But expensive. They already need a new disk after about 7 sets of pads. That's crazy. 650 bucks for a replacement disk. Like you said, I'm not sure that's worth the money when you can get a new set of front rotors for 100 bucks.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been tracking this car for a few years now with Centric C-teks. Can get all 4 rotors for about $200 on rockauto. Best bang for the buck imo.
I found Centric C-TEK 380mm for $43.99 each and Centric C-TEK rear for $25.79 each on RockAuto.....is that correct? That's a whole set for under $150! And you said these hold up just fine? If that's true, that's an amazing deal!

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I found Centric C-TEK 380mm for $43.99 each and Centric C-TEK rear for $25.79 each on RockAuto.....is that correct? That's a whole set for under $150! And you said these hold up just fine? If that's true, that's an amazing deal!
Yes sir, been doing it for years. They hold up perfectly fine.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Are you running race pads on them? How long do they last? Seems too good to be true!:)
Running Powerstop Track Day. Definitely not the most favored track pad, but they modulate well and handle the abuse without any fade. They do eat away at the rotors, but at the cost of the centric i still come out considerably ahead. I normally have to buy a new set of rotors ever 5-7 track days (20-24 20 min sessions)

For a HPDE warrior that is more concerned with durability and bang for the buck rather than the fastest lap time, I would recommend the setup.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Running Powerstop Track Day. Definitely not the most favored track pad, but they modulate well and handle the abuse without any fade. They do eat away at the rotors, but at the cost of the centric i still come out considerably ahead. I normally have to buy a new set of rotors ever 5-7 track days (20-24 20 min sessions)

For a HPDE warrior that is more concerned with durability and bang for the buck rather than the fastest lap time, I would recommend the setup.
Agreed for the most part, but caution anyone to make sure you protect and clean your wheels often/quickly with these pads. They ate the finish of my satin black wheels and now they're a whispy, charcoal color rather than a nice satin black.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any concern or real-world difference between plain rotors and high carbon rotors? (Are OEM PP rotors high carbon??) They're supposed to be more heat resistant right?

I glazed my OEM pads my first track day and heat cracked a set of Hawk HP+ pads. Maybe I'm hard on brakes as I'm still learning but I'd hate to get the Centric C-TEKs and crack them when I could've purchased the Centric Hi-Carbon ones for another $100.
Any thoughts/opinions?

Additional question: Rock Auto has "Centric C-TEK" as the cheapest, then "Hi-Carbon, Cryo Treated" as the middle and "High Carbon" as the most expensive. I would think the Cryo treated ones should be the most expensive. Anyone have any insight on this?

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I had tried out those Hi-Carbon rotors as well and I couldn't tell any discernible difference between those and the C-teks.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
AP Racing... love them.

Open Loop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Premium PP, 2013 Scion FR-S
I use middle-of-the road Centric blank rotors on my FR-S time trial car with no brake ducting, where I've had them hot enough to glow, and where I've had to increase the pads from Carbotech xp8 to xp10 due to fade, and they have not yet broken or warped. I am a fan of the Centrics. I replace the fronts every year, and the rears every two years.

Dark-Alex

Alex
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Magnetic Metal
https://brakeperformance.com/

just ordered some rotors and pads for my 2018 Performance Pack for 421.62 for the whole car. I got the drilled version and they are made in the USA!!!!! and lifetime warranty.
D6FB802B-D9E6-44EF-8E8C-80623276B692.png

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I use the raybestos r300. I just liked the design lol and weren't much more than blanks. I think rockauto has them still for about $300 set of 4. EDIT: rears ~48ea, fronts ~73ea. So about $250
Sponsored