Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
This part sounds like either traction control or AdvanceTrac has been working overtime.

Norm
Oh it for sure is. I still drive in Sport mode, not Track mode and I see the TC light turn on a lot. I'm not smooth enough yet to drive without it.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Oh it for sure is. I still drive in Sport mode, not Track mode and I see the TC light turn on a lot. I'm not smooth enough yet to drive without it.
Beyond being able to choose among various throttle response mappings, my understanding of the nuances among these various drive modes is quite limited. It's what driving for something like 47 years before owning a car that even had electronic stability control (plus spending the next 9 years turning it off) does for you.

I'm afraid I don't know how to describe how you'll know when you do get smooth enough, even in the absence of any nannies. Let alone when your selected mode may be cutting off the fun before you can clearly pick up any warnings that you're starting to ask for too much.

Norm

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Beyond being able to choose among various throttle response mappings, my understanding of the nuances among these various drive modes is quite limited. It's what driving for something like 47 years before owning a car that even had electronic stability control (plus spending the next 9 years turning it off) does for you.

I'm afraid I don't know how to describe how you'll know when you do get smooth enough, even in the absence of any nannies. Let alone when your selected mode may be cutting off the fun before you can clearly pick up any warnings that you're starting to ask for too much.

Norm
An instructor told me when I can feel and know that the nannies are holding me back, that's when you can take them off. Or I've heard to push the car hard with TC on and watch where on the track the light comes on. Then try to push the car as hard as you can in the same areas without the light coming on. At that point, you know you are in control.

I can feel the car pulling throttle when the light comes on though. Just need to work on my braking zones so I don't enter too fast and swing the back end out.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that enough to teach you how to "sneak up on it"?

Norm
I sure hope so, haha! I'll probably just have to try it and if I spin, then I'll know where the limit is.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The operative words being "sneak up on".

When you know you've got a safety net under you, it's easier (maybe a lot easier) to develop a less-smooth driving style because your experience will be telling you that nothing bad happens even when you're not smooth. It's an attitude you're very likely to carry over.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
An instructor told me when I can feel and know that the nannies are holding me back, that's when you can take them off. Or I've heard to push the car hard with TC on and watch where on the track the light comes on. Then try to push the car as hard as you can in the same areas without the light coming on. At that point, you know you are in control.

I can feel the car pulling throttle when the light comes on though. Just need to work on my braking zones so I don't enter too fast and swing the back end out.
I think you will find that the car is actually easier to drive with Advancetrac fully off. It is for me. Get your harness in, so that you can feel the car's small movements in your butt, and then turn it off. Learn how to control the car without nannies, and if they're calibrated well (from what I hear, only GT350's are this good), they'll help you go faster. Otherwise, they're just slowing you down and giving you a false sense of control/security.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will find that the car is actually easier to drive with Advancetrac fully off. It is for me. Get your harness in, so that you can feel the car's small movements in your butt, and then turn it off. Learn how to control the car without nannies, and if they're calibrated well (from what I hear, only GT350's are this good), they'll help you go faster. Otherwise, they're just slowing you down and giving you a false sense of control/security.
I plan to try it out without the nannies next time I'm on an open, dirt-surrounded track. Going to Autoclub this weekend and will definitely NOT be turning them off with walls all around the track

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I love these technical discussions.

Let's objectively clarify some things. So my problem is brake judder under hard braking into turns. Some visual things I've noticed: the front rotors look dark gray on the surface and hazy. The rear rotors "hats" near the mounting hub looked to be slightly purple, suggesting they got very hot.

The possible root causes for the brake judder are:
1. Improper bedding - this could be the problem but I don't believe it is. I followed the manufacturer's instructions
2. Uneven / excess pad deposits due to overheated pads - I don't think this is the problem as the GLOC R12 pads are rated up to 1860°
3. "Hot spots" in the actual rotors due to overheated rotors - I think this is the issue. As rotors act as a heat sink for the braking system, if they are receiving more heat than they can reject AND the material is more prone to sporadic hardening, this seems like a recipe for brake judder
Your description is one of pad smear. I don't care whether it is a quality gloc pad. Go up a couple steps and see what happens.

I'm an experienced national club racer. My gt at 3600lbs is pretty light for a gt. I hsve to run a 50mm restrictor so my engine cannot make the 460hp. I have had 4 races and I'm not mario andretti. I'm getting faster every time I go out and my car is not fully optimized or developed and I am already at carbotechs top pad. I am going to need more development of the brakes.

Cooking glocs on a 4000lb streetcar...yes I can easily see that

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
3. "Hot spots" in the actual rotors due to overheated rotors - I think this is the issue.
especially so because as soon as you roll to a stop, the pad/rotor overlap is not getting near the same degree of cooling as the rest of the rotor. I've done this on bike brakes and those are paper thin by comparison so don't retain heat like big chunks of cast iron. My naive solution would be to use little or no brakes during as much of the cool down lap as possible and once in the pits, rotate the wheels 1/4-1/2 turn after a few minutes to expose the shrouded area to cooling.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My naive solution would be to use little or no brakes during as much of the cool down lap as possible
I've always taken this one step further and driven another mile or two around access roads and such to extend the time where you're actively getting at least some air movement. Even at my first track day ever.

Norm

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I've always taken this one step further and driven another mile or two around access roads and such to extend the time where you're actively getting at least some air movement. Even at my first track day ever.

Norm
I follow the same method as well... as soon as I come off track I drive out of the paddock area and drive a mile or two to ensure things return back as close to normal operating temps as I can. Furthermore, on the last lap of a session I attempt not to use the brakes at all... simply using the cars friction when turning into a corner to slow it down (of course corner entry at a much lower speed).

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I'm still running the factory PP1 pads for lapping and I'm not inclined to change them out for more aggressive pads this season.
I'm not the fastest out there (2 seconds off speed academy's lap time at TMP), but not the slowest either.
As a few mentioned I use the warm up lap to get heat into the tires and brakes while avoiding the brakes on cooldown and driving though the paddock.

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have been communicating with PFC about rotors. They advised ROUSH was the dealer. I contacted ROUSH and they advised the rotors are exclusive for ROUSH vehicles.

Provided this info to PFC, and they gave the impression that they were unaware or ROUSH having exclusivity to the product. PFC hasn’t provided any further communication.

However, I did just see that Optimum Performance is trying to put in group order of sorts for the rears. They said if they can get 10 requests they will have rears made. I’m really interested in fronts too and they have indicated if they can get 10 requests for those too then they believe they can have them made.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p381/2015-2020_Mustang_PFC_Rear_2_Piece_Rotor_Kit_-_Pre-_Buy.html#/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-rear-2-piece-floating-rotor-kit-pre-buy.138521/

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
From the PFC site, V3 Rotors:
LF - 378.064.63
RF - 378.064.64
LR - 330.044.63
RR - 330.044.64
Sponsored