Sponsored

Brake caliper Paint

NAG_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
Thinking about painting the brake caliper. Not sure what color to go with, car is gray.
Anyone done this yet, if so please post pictures. Thank you
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Ask

Niz he paints everything! :like:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I used G2 https://www.g2usa.com/ with a custom Ruby Red finish. It went on super easy (brushes on). I've been shocked at how well it's held up. There's a bit of peeling from brake fluid around the bleeder valves (I bleed after every track day), but that'll happen with any paint.
Sig Wheel.jpg

blk2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Paint is VTH
SP-100 – primer
SP-731 – Red Caliper Paint
SP-730 – Clear Coat

Custom decals – eBay - agnes.ns85

upload_2018-9-13_9-13-17.jpeg

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
i painted mine with G2 paint. Still waiting on my decals so i'll post pics after i receive and install them.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does G2 or others specialize in factory paint colors? I would like to paint mine Velocity Blue.

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
that Shelby decal looks sick!

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Did mine bright red with the G2 paint. It's held up really nice so far.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Does G2 or others specialize in factory paint colors? I would like to paint mine Velocity Blue.
Yep. They have a kit you buy from them for a custom-made batch for your unique color. Then just tell them what the paint code is and they'll match it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yep. They have a kit you buy from them for a custom-made batch for your unique color. Then just tell them what the paint code is and they'll match it.
That is awesome. I hope they can do Velocity Blue now or soon. Off to check/order.

If I understood them right, the shop that painted my Velocity Blue stripes said Velocity Blue contains some component that is also in US currency (not sure if in the paper or ink) and that component isn't sold by itself due to counterfeiting concerns. They had to get the paint premixed from BASF. If true, it implies only a small number of suppliers can mix up the paint. Hope that's not something G2 doesn't want to deal with.

And from the body repair business side, don't shops sometimes need to make tiny adjustments to the published formula to compensate for fading, factory tolerances, etc.? Or are all those issues handled with blending rather than adjusting the paint?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That is awesome. I hope they can do Velocity Blue now or soon. Off to check/order.

If I understood them right, the shop that painted my Velocity Blue stripes said Velocity Blue contains some component that is also in US currency (not sure if in the paper or ink) and that component isn't sold by itself due to counterfeiting concerns. They had to get the paint premixed from BASF. If true, it implies only a small number of suppliers can mix up the paint. Hope that's not something G2 doesn't want to deal with.

And from the body repair business side, don't shops sometimes need to make tiny adjustments to the published formula to compensate for fading, factory tolerances, etc.? Or are all those issues handled with blending rather than adjusting the paint?
In the case of G2, the paint will be a different mixture than the real velocity blue because of the nature of the epoxy-based paint they use. BUT, it will be visual match. Not sure how much it'll differ, but it won't be an exactly matching formula. In my case, the G2 paint for Ruby Red is a single stage (vs. the factory tri-coat), so it's obviously a different formula. However, you wouldn't know it outside of a few differences in how it reacts to direct light.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks @honeybadger

I ordered it. It wasn't listed as a previously ordered custom color so ordered as a NEW custom color. The order form has a free form field to give the paint code, so I guess its not a sure thing until some human confirms its doable.

In case anyone else is interested, the paint code is M7423 for Ford Velocity Blue Pearl. I'm just posting because it was a bear to find when I had the stripes done this week. You can find touch up paint codes but based on all the previously ordered custom colors at G2, they want the Mnnnn code.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks @honeybadger

I ordered it. It wasn't listed as a previously ordered custom color so ordered as a NEW custom color. The order form has a free form field to give the paint code, so I guess its not a sure thing until some human confirms its doable.

In case anyone else is interested, the paint code is M7423 for Ford Velocity Blue Pearl. I'm just posting because it was a bear to find when I had the stripes done this week. You can find touch up paint codes but based on all the previously ordered custom colors at G2, they want the Mnnnn code.
Your welcome. The VB stripes + calipers are going to look great on your OW car. Make sure to post pics!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In the case of G2, the paint will be a different mixture than the real velocity blue because of the nature of the epoxy-based paint they use. BUT, it will be visual match. Not sure how much it'll differ, but it won't be an exactly matching formula. In my case, the G2 paint for Ruby Red is a single stage (vs. the factory tri-coat), so it's obviously a different formula. However, you wouldn't know it outside of a few differences in how it reacts to direct light.
Cool. Sounds like it should be the same color and brightness. I'm not too worried about the pearl effect since calipers are close to the ground and behind the wheels..

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks @honeybadger

Weird. Despite me giving G2 the Ford paint code, they emailed me saying they need me to give them the Ford paint code from PaintScratch.com (a touch up paint seller). PaintScratch did not list it so I had to go thru the procedure to get THEM to add it using the code I gave them.

I can not fathom any reason G2 would insist that PaintScratch offered the paint before G2 would offer it, unless the two are really the same company (or family) OR G2 makes their caliper paint by buying touch up paint from PaintScratch and adding their secret sauce. Neither makes sense.

Curiously, PaintScratch only listed it under the MY short hand code (E7) rather than the for-perpetuity code of M7423. For every other color PaintScratch lists both codes. I gave both to G2 and PaintScratch.
Sponsored

Last edited: