Borla Resonated H pipe...not what I was expecting

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a 2017 GT with the Borla ATAK Catback and a cat delete. As you could imagine, it is VERY loud. I needed to quiet it down after the cat delete and so I bought the resonated H pipe offered by Borla since it is a direct swap with the x pipe that comes with the ATAK catback. I’ve read a few reviews on the resonated h pipe and it seems that everyone said it only takes down the sound a little. Even in the install video on americanmuscle.com, they said that putting this on the borla atak would take it from a 5/5 loud to a 4/5...more like barely a 2/5. I wanted just a little bit of sound reduction, but this was way too much. I wish I had known this before purchasing, so I’m writing this for anyone who is in a similar situation so they can have this information. I wish I could return this item but I already installed it and as far as I know americanmuscle.com won’t take back items already installed. In my opinion, this was a waste of $300. Putting the x-pipe back in tomorrow. If you’re looking for a complete reduction in sound that will make your ATAK catback sound like you just returned to stock, this would be a good product. But if you want just a bit of sound reduction, I wouldn’t recommend this product. Fit and finish is perfect as I’d expect from Borla, I just wish I knew how quiet this product would make my GT.
Sponsored

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a small resonator X2 online and have a local shop weld it to your current X-pipe. Should take a bit of noise out of it.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I have a 2017 GT with the Borla ATAK Catback and a cat delete. As you could imagine, it is VERY loud. I needed to quiet it down after the cat delete and so I bought the resonated H pipe offered by Borla since it is a direct swap with the x pipe that comes with the ATAK catback. I’ve read a few reviews on the resonated h pipe and it seems that everyone said it only takes down the sound a little. Even in the install video on americanmuscle.com, they said that putting this on the borla atak would take it from a 5/5 loud to a 4/5...more like barely a 2/5. I wanted just a little bit of sound reduction, but this was way too much. I wish I had known this before purchasing, so I’m writing this for anyone who is in a similar situation so they can have this information. I wish I could return this item but I already installed it and as far as I know americanmuscle.com won’t take back items already installed. In my opinion, this was a waste of $300. Putting the x-pipe back in tomorrow. If you’re looking for a complete reduction in sound that will make your ATAK catback sound like you just returned to stock, this would be a good product. But if you want just a bit of sound reduction, I wouldn’t recommend this product. Fit and finish is perfect as I’d expect from Borla, I just wish I knew how quiet this product would make my GT.
Give it some time. It burns in and gets louder. 150 or so miles should change it.

The Ford Performance version is similar but has no packing, so it'll be louder.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Is this immediately after install? I know a lot of resonators need some miles/heat to break in. You cant send it back so leave it on for a few miles

Sponsored

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Give it some time. It burns in and gets louder. 150 or so miles should change it.

The Ford Performance version is similar but has no packing, so it'll be louder.
Do you think the ford performance version would be more what I am looking for? Would it be a direct replacement to the ATAK I already have or would I need to modify it? I went driving earlier today and have about 50 miles on the resonator, I’m going to give it a chance. However say if this resonator just isn’t what I’m looking for, are there any other h pipes that would be a direct fit other than the ford performance version? I know that H pipes aren’t best for performance in most applications but I like the sound of them. Thanks Brian, might have to check out the ford performance version.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Do you think the ford performance version would be more what I am looking for? Would it be a direct replacement to the ATAK I already have or would I need to modify it? I went driving earlier today and have about 50 miles on the resonator, I’m going to give it a chance. However say if this resonator just isn’t what I’m looking for, are there any other h pipes that would be a direct fit other than the ford performance version? I know that H pipes aren’t best for performance in most applications but I like the sound of them. Thanks Brian, might have to check out the ford performance version.
It's a direct fit with what you have. Give the Borla resonator a bit of time but if you don't like it, I think the Ford Performance one will get you more what you want. It'll probably be halfway between the X pipe and the Borla resonator on volume.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
it will get a lil louder after some miles. I was into the NASCAR or drag loud but as gotten older rather hear music in car.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Throw the Borla rez on the marketplace.
Ford Performance resonator by Borla is the magic you’re looking for. Nothing to break in or burn out.

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I've never seen a part number for a FRPP by Borla resonator alone.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I have the full Ford racing by Borla catback system and it brought the resonated h pipe and sounded identical to stock. I ended up swapping to a steeda h and it is much louder so even the Ford racing borla resonated h definitely quiets the exhaust down a lot.

Xavier208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 400a
Reviving this thread. Which h pipe did you end up going with and how loud is it? Sound clips? Going catted long tubes with awe touring cat back wondering if it’ll be too much and what I need to get it just right.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I actually ended up going with a completely different exhaust. I found some hooker blackheart 1 7/8” into 3” collectors (catless) for a great deal locally and just installed the AWE touring onto the car two days ago. It sounds absolutely amazing. It’s pretty loud of course, and I think it might be a little too much for daily driving for most people but I like loud. It sounds amazing under WOT, my brother said he was “iffy” on the exhaust until we did a pull, at that point he said it sounded absolutely amazing. It has lots of little pops and burbles which sound awesome. There’s a very very small amount of drone, I was trying very hard to find if there was drone in the new system and normally you wouldn’t even notice it. Overall I am very glad I went with the AWE touring. I only have a few sound clips so far. I did need to expand the h pipe on the AWE to fit over the 3” header connection pipes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fATUVCx7nwA?feature=share
My other video is on that channel as well
Sponsored