Sponsored

Boot lid seam corrosion/rust help

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
All done! New boot lid fitted, colour match is perfect and the paint job isnt bad. I applied a few coats of wax over the seam for added protection as well.
Brilliant!! Glad it all went well for you. So, did they inject wax into the back side/inside the seams? If not I would suggest doing this or getting it done just for peace of mind.

I believe it is done from the factory, so the bodyshop should have done this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Brilliant!! Glad it all went well for you. So, did they inject wax into the back side/inside the seams? If not I would suggest doing this or getting it done just for peace of mind.

I believe it is done from the factory, so the bodyshop should have done this?
I dont really know tbh, there was a white residue all inside the seams so possibly was that?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont really know tbh, there was a white residue all inside the seams so possibly was that?
That is probably polish residue. It will come off with a damp cloth if it is. If the car is a keeper for you, I would suggest just asking the question of the bodyshop. Like I said, I'm sure they should have done this for you? If you lived closer I would do it for you...

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is what the factory was looks like :

1620986916129.jpeg

Does that appearance/ texture look familiar ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This is what the factory was looks like :

1620986916129.jpeg

Does that appearance/ texture look familiar ?

No... No it does not. Then again it doesnt look like that anywhere on my car. Also thats covering like 5% of the seam. Seems a bit pointless.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's the inside of the seam that needs protecting, not the outside :like:

That's the wax that Ford inject inside the body panels to protect them.

That photo is the bottom of my door 'as supplied' straight off the back of the delivery truck (once the white tape was pulled off that area). It still drips eight months later ... lol

I am not sure if Ford apply that wax in the trunk lid, but looking at your photo it might be a good preventative measure if they don't (or if your body shop didn't) ... :frown:

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
I think the european Ponys get additional underbody coating. havn´t looked in detail but it seems like the underbody is covered in a tar-like coating.
I even had all my previous US imports coated with cable-grease, at least the insides of the underbody as precaution.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the inside of the seam that needs protecting, not the outside :like:

That's the wax that Ford inject inside the body panels to protect them.

That photo is the bottom of my door 'as supplied' straight off the back of the delivery truck (once the white tape was pulled off that area). It still drips eight months later ... lol

I can 100% confirm that my 2017 GT has no wax in the bootlid, and that it has oval shaped plugs across the lower rear edge to stop anything running out over the bumper... which makes me think.. "should there be wax in there"? Think I'll sort that out.

I use waxoyl clear with a professional spray gun set up.

BTW, my doors still "leak" four years later.. but the car is a garage queen..

Last edited:

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the european Ponys get additional underbody coating. havn´t looked in detail but it seems like the underbody is covered in a tar-like coating.
Correct, the coating is sprayed on at Zeebrugge and is very hit and miss. They seem to get more on the exhaust than anywhere else. It's an absolute bitch to get off from areas you don't want it, such as when you paint your brake callipers. I found the only thing that works is brake fluid. It's not tar like, it's more like a thick layer of gloss black paint.

On my GT they got it all over the brakes, inside the wheels and the exhaust. Most of the floor is untouched. I really wish they wouldn't bother.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
yeah I got mine undersealed by a garage in Johnstone. reminds me I need to book a check to ensure all still covered. Not like i've done a tonne of miles over the last 14 months :(

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve just found bubbling on my boot lid in the corners just above the lights. I’m wondering if the problem is all in the panel prep so when the replacements are fitted, assuming they are prepared correctly before painting, will they last more than 4 yrs?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve just found bubbling on my boot lid in the corners just above the lights. I’m wondering if the problem is all in the panel prep so when the replacements are fitted, assuming they are prepared correctly before painting, will they last more than 4 yrs?
Has yours had a replacement boot lid then ?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Has yours had a replacement boot lid then ?
It’s going in for replacement bonnet and front wing shortly. Sadly I didn’t spot the boot lid problem until after the other items got approved by ford so I will have to do another claim for the boot
Sponsored