Boot lid seam corrosion/rust help

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
According to the website you have Lookers Ford in Newcastle and Middlesborough and Stoneacre in York
kinda back on topic as Im struggling with corrosion, but Fords shoddy aftercare really doesn’t help, it just exacerbates your angst.
Their website is out of date, the 3 dealers above are not bodyshop Ford approved.
Even the half wits running Ford customer care hotline don’t know which dealers are Ford approved. They dish out phone numbers of dealers who then tell you they are no longer Ford approved.
As said by many of us, great car, but let down by weak aftercare
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
As said by many of us, great car, but let down by weak aftercare
Don't forget the poor Engineering!

Had a loose RR ARB, causing a knocking sound.

Got to the route of the issue this week, thanks to one of the best dealership workshops I've experienced.

Not with standing the " wisdom & expertise " of Ford, after more than 100 years of designing, Engineering & manufacturing the automobile...

The current Engineering idiots at Ford thought it was an acceptable design solution to press-fit an 18mm nut, for the rear ARB bush fixing, into the rear subframe, with a 70Nm tightening torque spec for the bolt.
This is an especially frustrating, school-boy error, from Ford.
While they're currently designing the next Transit in Dunton, but aint hiring U.K. Engineers!!

Last edited:

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget the poor Engineering!

Had a loose RR ARB, causing a knocking sound.

Got to the route of the issue this week, thanks to one of the best dealership workshops I've experienced.

Not with standing the " wisdom & expertise " of Ford, after more than 100 years of designing, Engineering & manufacturing the automobile...

The current Engineering idiots at Ford thought it was an acceptable design solution to press-fit an 18mm nut, for the rear ARB bush fixing, into the rear subframe, with a 70Nm tightening torque spec for the bolt.
This is an especially frustrating, school-boy error, from Ford.
While they're currently designing the next Transit in Dunton, but aint hiring U.K. Engineers!!
If you want another laugh go and look at how your cam covers attach to the cylinder heads counting the bolts on one hand and the threads on the other….. I shall give you a clue. There are more threaded holes than there are bolts to go in said holes….cost saving measure..

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There is cost cutting then there is cutting corners, Ford seem to be doing the latter, just found a paint defect on mine, on the wing, not a happy bunny. Difficult to get a good picture but to me it looks like a rough edge that;s just been painted rather than the corrosion thing. Trip to the dealers in the next week or so for me, joy of joys.

IMG_20210507_123957.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There is cost cutting then there is cutting corners, Ford seem to be doing the latter, just found a paint defect on mine, on the wing, not a happy bunny. Difficult to get a good picture but to me it looks like a rough edge that;s just been painted rather than the corrosion thing. Trip to the dealers in the next week or so for me, joy of joys.

IMG_20210507_123957.jpg
Whilst that is surely a bit annoying I wouldn't be bothered enough to take it to a dealer.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Whilst that is surely a bit annoying I wouldn't be bothered enough to take it to a dealer.
Yes you are right. What I will do is see how it progresses and also on the next service mention it and make sure they stamp the paint check!!! Plenty of other bits of the cars paint are pretty much the same but they arent as visible, door shuts, inside of boot edge etc so hopefully it wont get worse.
Ive seen some unwelcome paint jobs on BMW's particularly in the wheel arches with over spray but never on an M car always the lower end of the ranges. Ford seems to be the other way, the 2016 Focus I own's paint is noticeably less rough around the edges.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yes you are right. What I will do is see how it progresses and also on the next service mention it and make sure they stamp the paint check!!! Plenty of other bits of the cars paint are pretty much the same but they arent as visible, door shuts, inside of boot edge etc so hopefully it wont get worse.
Ive seen some unwelcome paint jobs on BMW's particularly in the wheel arches with over spray but never on an M car always the lower end of the ranges. Ford seems to be the other way, the 2016 Focus I own's paint is noticeably less rough around the edges.
Paintwork on cars from Valencia is leagues better than Flat Rock

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Agree 100%. I have the same issue on my hood at the N/S rear where the seam sealer is up over the edge onto the top of the panel. If I had it done at my local dealer it would no doubt look worse when done than it does now.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20210507_123957.jpg
I don’t think I would risk the potential dealer ef ups for fixing that.

A) It was small enough that you have only just noticed.
B) I think that’s seam sealer under the paint i.e. it won’t get any worse.
C) If it does get worse, it’s obvious it’s from under the paint and therefore Ford have got your back for 12 years - be that getting them to do anything will be a nightmare …
D) Thank yourself lucky if that is your only issue. There are two unregistered cars at my local dealers, the red one is OK if you ignore the misaligned trunk and chipped paint. The black one looks flat due to the amount of orange peel … :frown:

1620503601852.jpeg

I genuinely thought the top guy at the dealers was blowing smoke up my arse when he told me mine was a good one, I’m now starting to believe that he was just being honest … :facepalm:

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Car is going in today.... Wish me look

Had a chat with the bodyshop manager and the idea is to just spray the boot. If getting a perfect match isnt possible they will have to blend into the rear quarters. In that case they will clear coat the entire panel.

Fingers crossed they get the boot spot on and dont need to blend. Its non metallic and the paintwork is spot on having been detailed recently so its a prime candidate for an easy match.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Car is going in today.... Wish me look

Had a chat with the bodyshop manager and the idea is to just spray the boot. If getting a perfect match isnt possible they will have to blend into the rear quarters. In that case they will clear coat the entire panel.

Fingers crossed they get the boot spot on and dont need to blend. Its non metallic and the paintwork is spot on having been detailed recently so its a prime candidate for an easy match.
Good luck mate. Always a good sign when you can directly talk to the technicians/body shop manager.

Look out for the finish when you collect - view in sunlight or bring a torch. Body shops in general tend to just buff to flatten the paint, with no thought for paint correction/swirl removal. If you're paint was detailed to a high standard, that may well need redoing once the painters are done with it.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Good luck!! You may see a perfect match in daylight, but it may look off under lights, particularly fluorescents.
When you collect check it in the daylight, I think I would prefer a slight mismatch than have the quarters clear coated.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
All done! New boot lid fitted, colour match is perfect and the paint job isnt bad. I applied a few coats of wax over the seam for added protection as well.

So car went in for inspection last thursday and was ready for collection tuesday morning having gone in for the work on monday morning, not bad service if you ask me.

Thumbs up for sandicliff loughborough.
Sponsored