Sponsored

Boot lid seam corrosion/rust help

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have just noticed on my new to me 2018 GT really bad corrosion under the boot lid right on the back seam where it meets the rear window. Would appear that the metal welded over the seam had water ingress and is now hanging off with rust all around.

Before purchase I checked the usual spots on the hood and fenders and they were clear, didnt expect this on the inside of the boot. Obviously i am annoyed with myself for missing this but so did the garage who sold it to me, apparently.

Car is still in warranty and has annual service stamps, although I dont see anything specifically related to paint. But this should still be covered under the 3 year paintwork warranty right?

Anyone experienced similar or have a positive paintwork warranty claim experience at any ford garages around Leicestershire?

Some pics for reference:

IMG_20210502_150539.jpg

IMG_20210502_203504.jpg

IMG_20210502_203511.jpg

IMG_20210502_203518.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Yikes that does not look good.makes my bonnet corrosion look minor by comparison.

Cant help with any positive warranty paintwork unfortunately (16 months in and counting).

Good luck with getting it sorted.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yikes that does not look good.makes my bonnet corrosion look minor by comparison.

Cant help with any positive warranty paintwork unfortunately (16 months in and counting).

Good luck with getting it sorted.
Yeah its shocking on a car with 7k miles.... I dont see how they can deny a warranty claim but as its so new to me i dont know if its something thats been raised before.

Jsolman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 GT (UK) A10
Had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago, due to the same issue.
paint is warrantied, if checked at each service, its standard if you have a service plan, but apparently some charge for the optional check at service time.
so if you don’t have the check, they may argue about it.
my car is March 18, so was just in the 3yr period, but I have the 5yr warranty.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago, due to the same issue.
paint is warrantied, if checked at each service, its standard if you have a service plan, but apparently some charge for the optional check at service time.
so if you don’t have the check, they may argue about it.
my car is March 18, so was just in the 3yr period, but I have the 5yr warranty.
That sounds promising. Was yours as bad as that? It looks shocking on such a young/low mileage car but i guess if its a known issue there is less chance of a claim being rejected.

Did you get a brand new boot lid or just a respray?

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
save yourself the cost and headache, buy a boot lid and take it to a goo local bodyshop all you'll get from ford is shit workmanship, bad attitude, be blamed for their failings and a massive hole in your pocket because they're incapable and you end up having to fund their fuckups.

there's enough wrecked s550's now you can pick up a boot lid from a scrappers and get it fixed by a real bodyshop rather than the monkeys ford use.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
save yourself the cost and headache, buy a boot lid and take it to a goo local bodyshop all you'll get from ford is shit workmanship, bad attitude, be blamed for their failings and a massive hole in your pocket because they're incapable and you end up having to fund their fuckups.

there's enough wrecked s550's now you can pick up a boot lid from a scrappers and get it fixed by a real bodyshop rather than the monkeys ford use.
Buying a boot lid and paying a bodyshop to paint it isnt happening considering ive had the car less than a week and its under warranty.

Even if it came to getting a third party to sort it surely that boot is fine to respray after a light repair.

Jsolman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 GT (UK) A10
That sounds promising. Was yours as bad as that? It looks shocking on such a young/low mileage car but i guess if its a known issue there is less chance of a claim being rejected.

Did you get a brand new boot lid or just a respray?
New boot lid, resprayed to match etc, plus my spoiler re-added as well.
I’m led to believe the body work has corrosion issues due to Galvanic Corrosion (think that’s the term), as the Aluminium reacts to other substances. Hence bonnets, wings etc needing to be replaced.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
New boot lid, resprayed to match etc, plus my spoiler re-added as well.
I’m led to believe the body work has corrosion issues due to Galvanic Corrosion (think that’s the term), as the Aluminium reacts to other substances. Hence bonnets, wings etc needing to be replaced.
While thats true of hood/fenders i believe the boot is 100% steel.

Where did you get it sorted if you dont mind me asking?

Jsolman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 GT (UK) A10
While thats true of hood/fenders i believe the boot is 100% steel.

Where did you get it sorted if you dont mind me asking?
Ford Newport (Mon Motors) in South Wales, same garage I bought the car from.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Buying a boot lid and paying a bodyshop to paint it isnt happening considering ive had the car less than a week and its under warranty.

Even if it came to getting a third party to sort it surely that boot is fine to respray after a light repair.
If the car is only a week old, then how is that corrosion? Looks like seam sealer to me from what I can tell. The photos are blurry.

Edit, I just noticed you added a third pic. In the last it does look like rust and missing paint.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If the car is only a week old, then how is that corrosion? Looks like seam sealer to me from what I can tell. The photos are blurry.

Edit, I just noticed you added a third pic. In the last it does look like rust and missing paint.
Ive only had it a week... Its was new in June 18.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Are your body / paint inspections stamped? If not, let us know how you get on.
It’s criminal that Ford expect you to know about their secret inspections and don’t include it within a service.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Are your body / paint inspections stamped? If not, let us know how you get on.
It’s criminal that Ford expect you to know about their secret inspections and don’t include it within a service.
Where are these stamps supposed to be located?

Nevermind i can see the pages... All i have is the 3 stamps for the 3 services, the rest of the book is blank.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It's commonly refered to as the "clinch flange".
The outer panel's edge is folded around the edge of the inner panel.
Then a sealant is applied, before paint.

Looking at the pictures, it seems as though moisture has got under the bead of sealant & corroded the metal.

At the recent annual service for my GT, I paid ÂŁ20 for the paint & body inspection.
I was told there was a 12 year Ford warranty for paint & body, provided the annual P&B inspections were carried out & also, that any defect was not the result of damage, such as a scratch through the paint, down to the metal. As an example.

Looks to me like a simple & water-tight case for warrantied replacement.
However, what it's replaced with, is another question as there does appear to be significant inconsistency of capability, through the U.K. dealership network.
Although possibly no worse than those for other OEMs.

Hope you get it sorted.
Sponsored