Boosted GT or 2020 GT500

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Which one would you guys rather have? I know the GT500 has the DCT and the a better suspension etc than a normal GT, but the cost of a GT500 is $30k-$40k more than the GT depending on trim and options etc. As an owner of a 2017 whipple gt, im curious to see what you guys would rather have in terms of overall dailyness/reliability, overall cost etc and why.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I would go with the GT500 for practical reasons. It would have a warranty, not require any modifications and the best reason is it would be easier to get the wife to agree. She is not a car person, so any performance mods are always met with a great deal of resistance and voiding the warranty is a deal breaker. I could hand her a bunch of bull about why the GT500 is better without mentioning horsepower. I can't think of any crap I could hand her that she would believe about why I need a supercharger for my GT.

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
Everything the GT500 has to offer along with looks makes me want to vote for it... but I can’t because I’d still want a manual transmission. The one thing you can’t have in the GT500.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Supercharged GT. End.

Seriously, the GT500's are stupidly overpriced at dealers and you can easily outrun one with a blown GT.

Put the rest of the money in the bank and enjoy.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
At the end of the day youll spend as much as the GT500 just to make it on the same level and be just as reliable. Of course you can buy used and slap a blower on it and maybe be able to out perform it in a few things. but to out perform it in everything day in day out over and over and over, youll spend the same. In the end its always better to make a faster car faster then a slower car as fast.

edit: for the record im installing a hellion kit on my 18 GT, but if i was standing in front of both id pick the GT500.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Your question is loaded. If the person responding has the cash to buy a GT500 then they will most likely respond that way. It the respondent already has a GT then modifying it would most likely make the most sense. Now if your like me, a GT owner with no intention to SC, turbo, or anything else then my response is based on pure lust. The only answer is the GT500.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
GT 500...man oh man do they look sweet. Hardest part is picking the color. Way more than enough car for anything I want to do. Hell the GT I own is way more than enough for what I need. Pulled out onto highway earlier in Sport + and WOT and it is so fun just put a smile all over my big dumb face

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
If your car is paid off I would go GT just throw on a supercharger and a ford track handling kit or one of Steedas and call it a day. Now if it were a brand new GT that you had to buy then do all the stuff to then I would say gt500 for warranty reasons.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Which one would you guys rather have? I know the GT500 has the DCT and the a better suspension etc than a normal GT, but the cost of a GT500 is $30k-$40k more than the GT depending on trim and options etc. As an owner of a 2017 whipple gt, im curious to see what you guys would rather have in terms of overall dailyness/reliability, overall cost etc and why.
If All you care about is drag racing i get why this is a hard choice. And if your aim is to drag DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. save yourself the money buy a foxbody and a used F150 motor.

This car is not going to survive drag racing long without grenading that trans, guaranteed. And theres no escaping tge mass. Buy a fox, and coyote it with a 6R80 thats your best bet for a drag car.

If you however look at the bigger picture of what you're buying with the GT500 its not even close...

The Gt500 offers power, reliability, warranty, resale value, super advanced and upgraded, chassis, suspension, brakes. Its more than just an engine... The engine I'm pretty sure is based on Fords Aluminator V8 which is a race proven motor and has several upgrades done to the oil and cooling system that makes it superior to both the voodoo and coyote. The block has also been reinforced.

To build a GT to the same specs as a predator will cost you about 6k in machine work, excluding the rods, pistons, then you still wouldn't have the heads it comes with and you'd have to buy a blower...

And the car is so much more than the engine its built to out handle supercars... It's keeping up with 911 GT3Rs. There are now multiple videos of this. A 911gt3rs is a 190k supercar...

plus no matter what you do to a GT, your throwing money at a mass produced vehicle with no real retaining value. So you buy a Gt for 40k sink 20k in it making it fast and can't sell it a year later for 30k... That just isnt smart...

The GT500 will lose value yes but it will stabilize and maintain especially if you didnt mod it or drag it. A shelby always has value.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
To focus on just the engine of this car is to ignore 90% of what the car is about... And its a real tragedy and a diservice to the engineers and the guys who put it together.

If You want to go fast in the 1/4 just buy a fox.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
All round package, no question I’d take the 500.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
For daily driving,........you definitely don't want the GT500, unless you don't mind going to the gas station every other day and shelling out the gas cash. lol
You really can't go wrong with any of the poll choices though. All could be, and are fast Mustangs.

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Your question is loaded. If the person responding has the cash to buy a GT500 then they will most likely respond that way. It the respondent already has a GT then modifying it would most likely make the most sense. Now if your like me, a GT owner with no intention to SC, turbo, or anything else then my response is based on pure lust. The only answer is the GT500.
I agree with you, but I already have the whipple and although I am making similar horsepower numbers as the new gt500, but i would still pick the gt500 at the end of the day if I had more coin

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I voted TT GT but if ford adds a manual option to the GT500 I'd change my vote...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Wouldn’t it be nice to own a car with boosted power and a warranty? If you answered yes. You probably voted GT500 like me.
Sponsored