Sponsored

Boost and Cats

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caimen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So as most of y’all know we can’t buy off road products now. Well I’m looking into going procharged come Black Friday. I’m doing supporting mods at the moment. Im in the market for long tubes and I would love to keep cats to reduce rasp. But I also know cats can be a bit restrictive which I’m okay to loose a few horsepower over no rasp. I’m not trying to be the fastest or reach highest numbers. I have been reading a lot of boosted boys running cats and blowing out the cats or blowing engines. So what would y’all recommend at these crazy times when it comes to buying headers? I was thinking just a cheaper brand like Texas speed from lethal sense we can still buy catless or sw I think cause they have a 3 inch match up to my corsa. But I would love to go with ARH headers but I’m paying for a cat too. I’m stuck.
Sponsored

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT performance package
I’m in the same boat, I ordered the VMP Loki kit and was told by the shop that I should go catless. However I’m in NY and don’t want to fail inspections. So not sure what to do.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
i bought kooks with the normal cats when i was going to be N/A for a fee years. well while i was waiting for them i ended up buying a whipple. and they say not for boost. i guess mayne the "green" cats are up to the task but im not sure. i also dont want a raspy bass boat for a car so i have not installed them yet. but im in michigan so no inspections.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’m in the same boat, I ordered the VMP Loki kit and was told by the shop that I should go catless. However I’m in NY and don’t want to fail inspections. So not sure what to do.
I ran into the same problem here in Jersey. I went to 5 different shops. Not one would touch a heavily modded car. 10 years ago you’d just give em $150 and they’d hand you a window sticker. Those days are over!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thats550mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caimen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I’m in Florida so I don’t have inspections either. What cats do the ARH headers have? I would really love to buy quality headers over tsp or sw or sp. whichever one is the cheaper one I forget. Not saying they aren’t quality but from the forums everyone calls them the budget headers. Also how they don’t have warranty it doesn’t sound like the company stands behind the product as much you know? Where as ARH has lifetime warranty cause I assume they are that confident there part is solid. At least that’s how I feel about it. Saying that being that job is tougher it’s something I wanna one and done.

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
I ran into the same problem here in Jersey. I went to 5 different shops. Not one would touch a heavily modded car. 10 years ago you’d just give em $150 and they’d hand you a window sticker. Those days are over!
Exactly!!!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Put catted connector pipes in for inspection. Swap them out after...

SOMDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem PP1|MT6|MR, '17 Lexus IS300 f-Sport, '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I installed Loki last September. I’m still running stock cats with Borla Stinger S-type catback and have about 8k miles on the car since installing Loki. Knock on wood, I haven’t had issues and MD is a regular inspection state too. With Loki the car dyno’d at 662/537 which is what I was aiming for with the kit. YMMV.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just put a Whipple stage 2 kit on my car and also deal with emissions here in the great state of Illinois. I played the 'emissions game' with my previous Mustang and it was a hassle. Plus I don't want to deal with the stink of running catless.

I'm rolling the dice with stock cats for now. I'm running the whipple tune that also has an element of cat protection enabled. I know it's not perfect and with time I could have issues. But just hoping they last a good while.

It seems the cheaper aftermarket cats run the greater chance of breaking apart and clogging up. Which could potentially cause serious damage to your engine.

There was some good discussion on this topic here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/strategies-to-keep-cats-from-melting.155761/

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'll have some ARH lead pipes for sale in the coming months... $2000 :cwl:

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
I installed Loki last September. I’m still running stock cats with Borla Stinger S-type catback and have about 8k miles on the car since installing Loki. Knock on wood, I haven’t had issues and MD is a regular inspection state too. With Loki the car dyno’d at 662/537 which is what I was aiming for with the kit. YMMV.
Dude trust me your the example I’m striving for, it just sucks that there’s a few examples like you of having no issues with the stock cats and then there are a lot of others who did have them crap out. Oh and thanks again for all the tips and advice my kit should be arriving next week. Just got the Nitto R2s and a BMR cradle kit to also have installed.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I’ve had a VMP GEN2R on my 17 for a year. 8,000 miles and no issues with stock cats. It’s something in the back of my head for sure.

it’s a conservative setup only making 611 WHP / 480 ft lbs with the larger pulley.

VMP tuned. The tune does have cat protection enabled.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I;ve had 5 SC cars and only put "high flow" cats on one. Since we don't test in MI I am not sure if the high flow cars were that great or not. Louder for sure. The rest had the stock exhaust. Never had an issue.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I;ve had 5 SC cars and only put "high flow" cats on one. Since we don't test in MI I am not sure if the high flow cars were that great or not. Louder for sure. The rest had the stock exhaust. Never had an issue.
About how many miles did you put on the catted cars with boost?
Sponsored