Sponsored

Boost and Cats

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Just put a Whipple stage 2 kit on my car and also deal with emissions here in the great state of Illinois. I played the 'emissions game' with my previous Mustang and it was a hassle. Plus I don't want to deal with the stink of running catless.

I'm rolling the dice with stock cats for now. I'm running the whipple tune that also has an element of cat protection enabled. I know it's not perfect and with time I could have issues. But just hoping they last a good while.

It seems the cheaper aftermarket cats run the greater chance of breaking apart and clogging up. Which could potentially cause serious damage to your engine.

There was some good discussion on this topic here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/strategies-to-keep-cats-from-melting.155761/
I put 13K boosted miles on my '18 with a Whipple Stage 2, their tune, and factory cats. No issues with anything, and CARB legal so it would pass anywhere.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I melted a cat on my 2014 5.0 which had a paxton sc, high flow cats and was tuned by a very reputable tuner. Luckily the shop I went to found it before it got worse. I don't like having to worry about something like that, immediately removed them in my new car. Hopefully someone can create some cats for boosted 5.0s that can handle the heat, so that people living in states that hate freedom can go fast too. There are a ton of variables to consider (maybe the stock cats would not have melted, etc.), but after my experience I wouldn't boost a 5.0 if I was going to have problems with the law going catless, not until there is more evidence of reliable boosted mustangs with cats.
Aftermarket consistently makes inferior products to oem. I had high flow cats on one of my cars and they were trash. Ditto drive shafts

OP
OP
Thats550mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caimen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I ended up getting the ARH headers. Iā€™ll run the cats for now. I noticed it looks like the cats slip in and then clamp on. So come time for boost Iā€™ll have a shop make up a pipe and Iā€™ll slip them on or in which ever.

SC_Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Iā€™m waiting on a 10 rib whipple that will be on e85. No option but catted headers and tuner will not turn off o2s. Has anyone been anywhere close to 900 wheel with stainless power/ stainless works metal matrix cats? Very reputable shop doing install.

Just donā€™t want to be buying a motor extremely soon.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Simple physics. A blown V8 is going to produce gobs more heat.
agreed, to a point...a safe EGT is a safe EGT, be it n/a or supercharged.

...im merely suggesting itā€™s something other, as in parts or tune :wink:

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...I am a bit of a drag racer so I asked Whipple at what point does cat protection kick in? Their response, anytime you are WOT for more than ~4 seconds.
Iā€™ve spent the last year modifying my Whipple tune in ways that most people donā€™t and managed to get it to about 6.5 seconds without changing the cat temp model parameters or the exhaust temp control trigger temp FWIW.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
So you're telling me that the GT500 is the most cost effective way to get 700hp with an emissions legal exhaust AND a factory warranty :giggle:
Or a hellcat, but yea, thatā€™s the direction things are going.

Now I wonder, if you took the supercharger off the Predator, would it make 500hp...
My math says 475 hp. Basically a gt350 minus the compression ratio.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
So I ended up getting the ARH headers. Iā€™ll run the cats for now. I noticed it looks like the cats slip in and then clamp on. So come time for boost Iā€™ll have a shop make up a pipe and Iā€™ll slip them on or in which ever.
Did you get the ARH model with the direct connect to Corsa? That's what I ran, fitment was spot on.

OP
OP
Thats550mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caimen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you get the ARH model with the direct connect to Corsa? That's what I ran, fitment was spot on.
Yes I did. Super excited. Just gotta order the Lund tune for the new 18 manifold and headers.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yes I did. Super excited. Just gotta order the Lund tune for the new 18 manifold and headers.
Excellent. If you have the Sport it'll sound great. If you have Xtremes you'll notice they get trumpety. If the tone bothers you a pair of Vibrant 1794s will clean it right up and bring the volume down a tad. Worked on my set up before ultimately cutting off the Corsa mufflers lol.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Look these up and see what you think. I bought the Stainless power uncatted headers last year and then had these welded in. I'm still not boosted yet, but its in the works for this year. These were designed to withstand temps as high as 1500F and forced induction.

G-Sport GESI Catalytic Converter (3" Ultra High Output - 300 Cell - EPA)

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT performance package
Look these up and see what you think. I bought the Stainless power uncatted headers last year and then had these welded in. I'm still not boosted yet, but its in the works for this year. These were designed to withstand temps as high as 1500F and forced induction.

G-Sport GESI Catalytic Converter (3" Ultra High Output - 300 Cell - EPA)
I wonder how hard it would be to have these installed? Wonder if itā€™s worth it if I have FI.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The gesi cats are metal substrate. They can withstand thermal shock better than stock but not the same max temp. If you monitor cat temps you see even stock gets over 1650 deg pretty quick.

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
Car is in the shop now getting Gesi gsports installed... also having trans clutches and a torque converter installed.... should have it back in 1-2 weeks..... Iā€™ll report back when all done
Sponsored