Sponsored

Factory cats longevity and a supercharger

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hoping some guys on here have had some time on their GT with factory cats and a supercharger? Sucks I have emissions testing here once a year and have to keep the cats. I read a post or two that talked about superchargers burning up the cats? Does this happen? I use my Mustang to go to work and tool around town when the weather is nice, so I'm not a track guy, but do love to let it rip all the time. Curious for input on this. Sucks after reading about them not playing nice together I can barely fantasize about a supercharger anymore. Let me know if I'm off base on this, that would be most excellent. Also curious on what kind of HP loss I'd expect with the cats installed. Thanks for any guidance on this, let me know how many miles any of you have put on this setup and what kind of driver you are. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I put the roush tvs on my 2011 with 2000 miles on it. It currently has 60,000 miles on it at 585 whp with zero problems through factory cats.

It's all about the tune.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I have had other cars with superchargers with stock cats and never had any issues whatsoever.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
at low boost levels, shouldn't be an issue, when you start turning it up is when you typically run into problems

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I put the roush tvs on my 2011 with 2000 miles on it. It currently has 60,000 miles on it at 585 whp with zero problems through factory cats.

It's all about the tune.
Cool, that's 58k, good to know. I suppose I don't even need to ask a guy who installed a supercharger if he punches it now and again, lol. Thanks!

I have had other cars with superchargers with stock cats and never had any issues whatsoever.
Were they aftermarket ones that you had tuned and all, if so how many miles did you put on them. I had autoshop teacher 30 years ago in high school that said Turbo's are bad (I want so bad to think he said superchargers were okay). Funny what one guys opinion does to a 16 year old's mental database.

at low boost levels, shouldn't be an issue, when you start turning it up is when you typically run into problems
So I assume the tuners know how to set it up right to last a long time? Or is it something I would have to learn not to let it rip that hard too often for too long? Or a combo of both? Sorry, naive on the Supercharge stuff, never had FI. If it is a "tune-down" what kind of safe (long cat life) performance gains (ballpark, won't hold you to it) can be had with nothing but a cat-back and a stock engine vs. one with no cats (not an option for me, but interested).

Thanks for the replies guys! I did some searching and didn't see much on the topic.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Cool, that's 58k, good to know. I suppose I don't even need to ask a guy who installed a supercharger if he punches it now and again, lol. Thanks!

So I assume the tuners know how to set it up right to last a long time?

Haha. Yeah you can say that. Actually the girl that bought it from me at 36k drives it harder than I did and much more picking up and delivering band instruments lol

And not all tuners are created equal. That is where your research should be focused.
Sponsored