Boost and Cats

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
This is from Gsports website. Supposedly the converters can handle up to 1700F temps.

Designed for Performance
For years, our emissions solutions have been addressing the needs of the high performance exhaust market. Our GEN1 line of high flow catalytic converters offer purpose-built catalytic converter solutions for high performance applications up to 2016 model year vehicles with minimal or no loss in horsepower.
GEN1 series supports vehicles up to 2016 model year
EPA Compliant - for use on OBD1/OBD2 Vehicles (1996 to 2016)
304 Series Stainless Steel construction throughout
Double-Lock technology ensures substrate is locked in place
Proprietary precious metal wash coat delivers consistent emissions reduction
Ideal for forced induction and capable of withstanding up to 1,700F/ 925C
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Fwiw sae publications have listed ceramic (stock) substrate cats are good for 1920 deg f.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So as most of y’all know we can’t buy off road products now. Well I’m looking into going procharged come Black Friday. I’m doing supporting mods at the moment. Im in the market for long tubes and I would love to keep cats to reduce rasp. But I also know cats can be a bit restrictive which I’m okay to loose a few horsepower over no rasp. I’m not trying to be the fastest or reach highest numbers. I have been reading a lot of boosted boys running cats and blowing out the cats or blowing engines. So what would y’all recommend at these crazy times when it comes to buying headers? I was thinking just a cheaper brand like Texas speed from lethal sense we can still buy catless or sw I think cause they have a 3 inch match up to my corsa. But I would love to go with ARH headers but I’m paying for a cat too. I’m stuck.
Stick with your stock headers. You don’t need long tubes unless you’re trying to squeeze out all the power

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How do we know when the cats are starting to go?

Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This is how my cats looks like at the mo

3AF2A149-4737-42AB-B80D-284DDD968DF5.jpeg

152CC580-11F9-4D4A-BE25-E29B7D85F4B9.jpeg

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So what are your thoughts on my pics above? I can see where is the most heat located.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
So what are your thoughts on my pics above? I can see where is the most heat located.

I do think that you'll have to unbolt them and inspect them from the front. I don't think that you can determine the condition of the core, just by looking at heat patterns on the body.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not if they are factory OEM.
My cats are oem because the headers and mid pipe are my last upgrade on this car in the future, but I guess I’ll pass on that upgrades. Honestly, all I do is 0-80 mph or 20-80 mph and nothing else. So I guess I’m not really beating up on my car.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
So as most of y’all know we can’t buy off road products now. Well I’m looking into going procharged come Black Friday. I’m doing supporting mods at the moment. Im in the market for long tubes and I would love to keep cats to reduce rasp. But I also know cats can be a bit restrictive which I’m okay to loose a few horsepower over no rasp. I’m not trying to be the fastest or reach highest numbers. I have been reading a lot of boosted boys running cats and blowing out the cats or blowing engines. So what would y’all recommend at these crazy times when it comes to buying headers? I was thinking just a cheaper brand like Texas speed from lethal sense we can still buy catless or sw I think cause they have a 3 inch match up to my corsa. But I would love to go with ARH headers but I’m paying for a cat too. I’m stuck.
I’ve been running 10 psi for 20k miles with zero issues on my catted car. If it’s tuned properly it’s not an issue and under forced induction the gains are minimal from removing them. My opinion is remove them if you want to change the sound, not for performance gains. 20 years ago, yes, not really an issue anymore.
Sponsored