Sponsored

Boost and Cats

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I think how the car is used and how often it sees boost is a huge factor. Even more important, how long are the pulls? I guy blasting around town with some short bursts will probably have many trouble free miles. A guy doing longer highway pulls or a lot of drag racing is potentially a different story.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I am a bit of a drag racer so I asked Whipple at what point does cat protection kick in? Their response, anytime you are WOT for more than ~4 seconds.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Heat kills cats. Frequent back to back short pulls and too many single long pulls with melt them.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Iā€™m not exactly sure what all the fluff is about...ecoboost engines all have cats, and a good tuning device will sometimes DOUBLE the factory boost levels with no ill effect on the cats.

example; I had a full bolt-on Focus ST with Cobb accessport, and that little four cylinder would peak between 21-23psi every time you mash the go pedal...I put almost 50k miles on that go cart before I sold her, with no cat problems ever.

...maybe we need ecoboost cats on boosted mustangs šŸ¤Ø

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m not exactly sure what all the fluff is about...ecoboost engines all have cats, and a good tuning device will sometimes DOUBLE the factory boost levels with no ill effect on the cats.

example; I had a full bolt-on Focus ST with Cobb accessport, and that little four cylinder would peak between 21-23psi every time you mash the go pedal...I put almost 50k miles on that go cart before I sold her, with no cat problems ever.

...maybe we need ecoboost cats on boosted mustangs šŸ¤Ø
Simple physics. A blown V8 is going to produce gobs more heat.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Iā€™ve had a Procharger on my GT with factory cats for 25k miles. I beat on the car with WOT every chance I get is a lot on my daily commute, but like said above itā€™s all mostly short bursts on town roads, 1st-3rd gears. I took it to the drag strip last summer 4 times doing between 7-15 1/4 mile runs each trip. One day I got there early and was no line at staging. I think I did 13 hot laps (1/4 mile) pushing it as hard as I could each run with little to no wait between each run. Iā€™m only pushing 9psi so not a lot but itā€™s survived being pushed often. lol, hope I donā€™t jinx myself, tomorrow is first day at the track this season.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve had a Procharger on my GT with factory cats for 25k miles. I beat on the car with WOT every chance I get is a lot on my daily commute, but like said above itā€™s all mostly short bursts on town roads, 1st-3rd gears. I took it to the drag strip last summer 4 times doing between 7-15 1/4 mile runs each trip. One day I got there early and was no line at staging. I think I did 13 hot laps (1/4 mile) pushing it as hard as I could each run with little to no wait between each run. Iā€™m only pushing 9psi so not a lot but itā€™s survived being pushed often. lol, hope I donā€™t jinx myself, tomorrow is first day at the track this season.
Where the hell do you run where you can get in 13 runs? I'd be lucky to get two in n 6 hours at test and tune nights.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
This give me hope!! šŸ˜„ What tune is on the car?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Where the hell do you run where you can get in 13 runs? I'd be lucky to get two in n 6 hours at test and tune nights.
If I tell then Iā€™ll only be able to get 2 runs in next time. Half joking, but I somewhat think if it like talking about a good fishing spot on Facebook. Wonā€™t be good for very long, LOL.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
About how many miles did you put on the catted cars with boost?
I put 20+K miles on my 2011 Mustang GT with a Roush making 588 RWHP with a Brenspeed tune. 93 Octane. I remember doing 20+ runs at Milan Dragway and the temp starting that afternoon was right around 100 F. I was there for about 5 hours. Hot lapped many times. Never missed a beat. I owned the car for about 10K miles after that until I bought my '15. Ran excellent.
Great car. Ran consistent 11.80 at 121-122 with street tires. No drag radials. Spun too much off the line.
So, my experience has been that the stock cats are fine.

I believe the tune is more important than the cats. If someone is wringing out the tune for maximum HP/TQ, then all bets are off.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
I melted a cat on my 2014 5.0 which had a paxton sc, high flow cats and was tuned by a very reputable tuner. Luckily the shop I went to found it before it got worse. I don't like having to worry about something like that, immediately removed them in my new car. Hopefully someone can create some cats for boosted 5.0s that can handle the heat, so that people living in states that hate freedom can go fast too. There are a ton of variables to consider (maybe the stock cats would not have melted, etc.), but after my experience I wouldn't boost a 5.0 if I was going to have problems with the law going catless, not until there is more evidence of reliable boosted mustangs with cats.

BoostKing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
18 S550 5.0, 22 F150 Tremor, 22 Expedition Stealth
I know this is probably an expensive and long shot answer, but consider the GT500 makes over 700 hp with "emissions" legal exhaust systems.

Seems it should not be that hard to manufacture a quality system that can handle decent power levels without issues and keep the GOV happy.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I tell then Iā€™ll only be able to get 2 runs in next time. Half joking, but I somewhat think if it like talking about a good fishing spot on Facebook. Wonā€™t be good for very long, LOL.
Sounds like it will be out of business soon though seeing as no one runs there.

So...go ahead and keep it to yourself!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Factory cats are far more robust than aftermarket high-flows....

My Kooks high-flows were destroyed after 10K miles with a little over 700whp, and caused a ring land failure as well...
Sponsored