Sponsored

Black Soot

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
Just over 7000 miles and for the last 1000 I’ve noticed a ton of black soot on the exhaust. I mean I wash the car, drive it for a hour and it’s covered. I had noticed I was low on oil after having it changed after a thousand miles. Had the dealership top it off and have been monitoring it since. After 500 miles I was between the holes on the dipstick. Just checked after 800 miles and it is well under the bottom hole now. What does the distance between the two holes represent, one quart?
Sponsored

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am not 100% for sure but I think the distance between the holes is 1 quart. The fact that you have a lot of black soot on the exhaust is not a good sign. Did you have any issues with soot before the last 1000 miles? Has your driving habits changed in the last 1000 miles (i.e. revving it out a lot more)?

OP
OP
Micklimey

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
I am not 100% for sure but I think the distance between the holes is 1 quart. The fact that you have a lot of black soot on the exhaust is not a good sign. Did you have any issues with soot before the last 1000 miles? Has your driving habits changed in the last 1000 miles (i.e. revving it out a lot more)?
I bought it used with 5500 miles on it. When I first got it I noticed a small amount of black soot on the drivers side inside pipe. Lately though it’s just gotten really bad and on all four pipes now. I’ve always drove the same way which is stay under 4K until 190 degrees and then drive as if I want to scare the crap out of the neighbors.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
When you can burn that quart of oil in less than 500 miles, they'll replace it. Sounds like it's only a matter of time, wishing you luck and a competent dealership.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I'm sorry to say that any sign of soot building quickly on the tips would be something of concern to me. Mine stay clean at 10,000 miles. I would start monitoring the oil closely.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
do you have cats on the car? if you dont, tips will be black every time you drive it. Mine are, and I burn ZERO oil between changes. Every car I've taken the cats off has exhibited this behavior.

OP
OP
Micklimey

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
do you have cats on the car? if you dont, tips will be black every time you drive it. Mine are, and I burn ZERO oil between changes. Every car I've taken the cats off has exhibited this behavior.
Car is still stock, haven’t removed the cats or anything else.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just over 7000 miles and for the last 1000 I’ve noticed a ton of black soot on the exhaust. I mean I wash the car, drive it for a hour and it’s covered. I had noticed I was low on oil after having it changed after a thousand miles. Had the dealership top it off and have been monitoring it since. After 500 miles I was between the holes on the dipstick. Just checked after 800 miles and it is well under the bottom hole now. What does the distance between the two holes represent, one quart?
Is your Shelby a 17?

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Gee, that doesn't sound good. Yes, the difference between the top hole and the bottom hole is supposedly one quart.

If it was me, I would be proactive and locate a competent dealer who has maybe swapped out a GT350 engine and/or knows something about running an oil consumption test.

As stated above, when you burn through a quart in 500 miles or less, you should be on your way to a new motor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Micklimey

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
Gee, that doesn't sound good. Yes, the difference between the top hole and the bottom hole is supposedly one quart.

If it was me, I would be proactive and locate a competent dealer who has maybe swapped out a GT350 engine and/or knows something about running an oil consumption test.

As stated above, when you burn through a quart in 500 miles or less, you should be on your way to a new motor.
I've got a dealer that's done several motor swaps. Got a few quarts of oil, so when I get back into town on Friday I'm going to fill her up and see what she drinks. If its anything over a quart and a quarter I'll take in for a oil consumption test.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Tips are somewhat filthy but not completely black like they've been plastidiped. No excessive oil consumption. Early Spring '16 build.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Car is still stock, haven’t removed the cats or anything else.
Are you located in a high altitude area or at sea level? Possible you’re running rich... you could have an O2 or even temp sensor going bad. -not failed, just reporting inaccurately. Have a local shop check it out. Doesn’t seem like you’re burning enough oil to soot the tips as fast as you say.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I've got a dealer that's done several motor swaps. Got a few quarts of oil, so when I get back into town on Friday I'm going to fill her up and see what she drinks. If its anything over a quart and a quarter I'll take in for a oil consumption test.
Don't waste time or money in gas chasing it. What you said about the oil levels and the thick soot is similar to my original engine. I was 1.5 quarts with 400 miles. Ford took good care of me. Also keep in mind all engines are going to burn some oil. I still get soot. But after 7k on the new engine, no oil consumption that's excessive. Last oil change after 5k I was still in between the holes. Take into account what I drained from the passenger side oil catch can of a few ounces I'd say during that period it burned less than half a quart. No worries.

But don't do what I did and chase it when you know there's a issue. Get the oil consumption test done.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I bought my 2017 GT350R used in November 2018 with 3,500 miles on it. I noticed a lot of soot on the tailpipes and it always blew an excessive amount of black soot on cold starts. I started monitoring oil consumption at 4,000 miles. When it was burning about 1qt every 350-400 miles I immediately took it to my local dealer and started the "official" oil consumption test. After three 500-mile oil consumption tests it was burning 1qt every 150 miles, that's when Ford approved an engine replacement. Funny thing was there was no signs of oil leaks, and oil pressure and temp where normal. During engine replacement I had the dealer check the cats, and surprisingly they were totally fine. 500 miles since replacement and the new engine is running great. I check the oil after every drive (25 - 75 per trip) and oil level is perfect.
Sponsored