Sponsored

Best tire width for handling ?

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Was wondering if there is any test data (ideal) or experience for the best width if you are strictly interested in canyon road or track performance.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
As wide as you can fit unless you're racing in rain would be my guess.

OP
OP
USPSALIMITED

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
As wide as you can fit unless you're racing in rain would be my guess.
I'm going to be surprised if there is not a fairly modest limit to how wide they can be without actually hurting performance. But that is why I asked the question because I just don't know.

Weight is obviously going in the wrong direction, and the fact that a wider tire has to slip more when on a curve (the inside travels a shorter distance than the outside) seems like a bad thing.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Depends on a lot of things. Are you constrained by the width of your wheels or are you asking generally (with a proper wheel-tire ratio)?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I think it's going to weigh heavily on the type of track and the compound of the tire. From what I've read, if you can't get enough heat into the wider tire, you're probably just wasting your time. I think with as heavy and powerful as the Mustang is, 305 at all 4 corners would be fine at most tracks if you could fit it.

Sponsored

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yea pretty much bigger is better with the caveat that it is a squared setup. The larger you go the more tramlining you'll feel up front though so be aware of that. Personally I'll probably end up on 295/35/19's squared on 19X10's. If you go bigger than 10" wide rims you'll have to have staggered offsets so rotating won't be possible.

OP
OP
USPSALIMITED

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Depends on a lot of things. Are you constrained by the width of your wheels or are you asking generally (with a proper wheel-tire ratio)?
From the responses so far I think the answer is likely yes and yes.

Have a general 'how do these things work out' curiosity, and specifically am going to install Forgestar 19*9 & 10 if it ever gets warm and if my TPMS's ever get off of back order.

Will burn up the oem's first but then I can go up a smidge over oem tire width on the 10's (if memory serves next size up over 275 is recommended for best fitment) so I was pondering effect.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
My advice: Get springs and swaybars (and possibly Steeda G-Trac brace) to maximize suspension dynamics (getting it under control) before upgrading tires. Much of the grip issue is due to too-soft suspension and a bit flexy front subframe, even with the PP. Then decide how much tire you need. My OEM PP Pirellis are gripping VERY well now with the mods. And I drive the car HARD on backroads and canyons.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What are your goals and objectives? Street/track/drag/looks? Depending on that answer and the limitation on how wide you can go in the front should dictate your rear size if a square setup is important for tire rotation. You can make a staggered setup handle just as well but you need to adjust your springs/sway bars/shocks accordingly to balance the car out. However since GTs are nose-heavy, there's an argument for going with a square setup. Yes 275s are often an ideal width for a 10" wheel, however every tire is different and its better to size the tire's tread width to be the same width or narrower than the wheel's width.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Would make more sense to focus on a more aggressive compound instead of going ham on a wider series.

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
285-305 on a Michelin Pilot Super Sport or BFG Rival will be all you need. You can always go R-Comp later if you get more serious.

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
The short answer to this question is: the only limiting factors to tire width and/or compound are, how thick is your wallet? Rule of thumb; wider is better, softer is better. You are talking about a 2015 Mustang here- are you ready to chop up the wheel wells? if so, that opens your possibilities up wide(pun intended). If your sanctioning body doesn't allow wheel well mods, you are limited to minor up-sizing. Then you have to consider compounds- ideally, your tires should be at the cords each and every time you finish a race BUT, most people can't afford to do it right, and opt for a harder tire that will last a bit longer. It all comes back around to your wallet- nice, neat little package, isn't it?

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
I like to run the widest possible tire for the rim that is still within the tire manufacturer's spec. I don't like trying to fit a big tire on a small rim because that can lead to poor handling characteristics if the sidewalls aren't able to work as intended.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I dare anybody to use their tires to the limit on the street as sooner or later you will wreck your car. On the track different story and tires will do ten times as much as any suspension modification will. It can't be said often enough tires give you grip. Why do you think almost every race series has limits on tires either type or size or make? Because if you have the budget you can buy a win with tires. The really fast guys put new tires on before every event should tell you something.
Sponsored